Starter motor - HELP!!! (evo8 mr) [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Starter motor - HELP!!! (evo8 mr)

Jammy_Jim
04-02-2012, 07:29
Morning, went to start my evo 8 mr today, turned over ok, but didnt fire up. Tried a few times, then my battery went flat.
Rechareged my battery an had a brew, now my starter motor sounds like its not turning the engine over?? (free spinning) my car has a syvecs ecu an sometimes is a pain to start on these cold mornings, has any one got any ideas for me to try???

stu8
04-02-2012, 07:46
give the starter motor a firm tap with something metal. Is the battery fully charged?

As for the cold start, the cold start map sounds like it needs tweaking, short term, all I can think of is get the car inside a garage somewhere, that should help protect it from the cold a little, maybe enough for the car to start

Stu

stu8
04-02-2012, 07:49
this may sound like a crazy idea, but to help with the cold start, it might be worth trying to get someone to hold a blow heater pointing onto the airfilter, warm it up a little and warm the air it takes in as you try and start it. I have no idea if this will work, but older diesels cold start can use a heater element to heat the air in the intake, and works well on them

Stu

Jammy_Jim
04-02-2012, 08:20
Hey up, right im sure im being a doughnut but i cant even see my starter motor?? where abouts is it?? Yeah the battery is charged, yeah i totally understand what your saying about heater plugs on a derv. Just spoke to M.G's they said the same "chances are somethings frozen" ill give it a blast with a hair dryer ahhh haa

Thanks alot for your help stu, Crazy idea's are the ones that work!!!

Steve220
04-02-2012, 08:50
The starter motor is down under the car near the front of the engine, it sounds like your solenoid is stuck, give it a tap with a hammer, that usually free's it up :)

spikem
04-02-2012, 08:51
get a garage :smthumbup

black car
04-02-2012, 09:07
probably the batterie should last more than a couple of turns them little 5hit batteries on the evos are U S put a decent size batterie in the boot less ag , YOU COULD ALSO TAKE THE PLUGS OUT DRY THEM HEAT THEM UP OVER THE GAS RING ON YOUR COOKER CHECK THE GAPS REFIT MIGHT HELP:thumbup: you need to charge the batterie for a few hours ,but if its got a dead cell you need a new 1 as it wont hold a charge:thumbup:

Jammy_Jim
04-02-2012, 15:01
The AA turned up in the morning saying yeah it was my starter motor but there wasn't much they could do, had a 3 1/2 Hour wait for a tow truck, so just said thanks for turning up an shining some light on the matter.

Then called the auto sparky from work an he called in on is way back, an said the same.

So gave MG Autos a buzz an luckly enough they had a spare starter motor, chipped off down the road to pick that up an some Oil/filter.

Finally found my starter motor after a fair bit of hunting around just took the plastic undertray off an in the middle (just to the O/S) and there it was, removed the two 14mm bolts an a 13mm holding the live-wire to the starter an it was off. Just had to make a longer M10 bolt to hold the starter on (an older starter motor), gave it a quick boost an it fired up 1st time. Good job, as it had just started to snow

Would just like to say thanks to MG's an the response on the MLR!!!!