Alarm/Immobiliser and AYC compatibility [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Alarm/Immobiliser and AYC compatibility

humbug
14-01-2004, 19:47
Just discovered that the third party Alarm/Immobiliser on my EVO interferred with the operation of the AYC unit.

Anyone else suffered from this problem?

Thanks in advance

Dave Southend
14-01-2004, 19:55
Originally posted by humbug
Just discovered that the third party Alarm/Immobiliser on my EVO interferred with the operation of the AYC unit.

Anyone else suffered from this problem?

Thanks in advance

Sounds most peculiar. Whilst I am famed for my technical incompotence, I would say it seems unlikely. Perhaps you should take it back to the alarm installer.

humbug
14-01-2004, 20:02
Thats difficult since I don't know who installed it orginally :-) Bought the car secondhand. However, what I have since found out was that the Mit garage that sold me the didn't inform me that the AYC was not working even though they had done the sevicing of the car and would have show up on the MUT during it!

Dave Southend
14-01-2004, 20:03
Thats difficult since I don't know who installed it orginally :-) Bought the car secondhand. However, what I have since found out was that the Mit garage that sold me the didn't inform me that the AYC was not working even though they had done the sevicing of the car and would have show up on the MUT during it!

How do you know it's malfunction is down to alarm/immobiliser?

humbug
14-01-2004, 20:07
Had it disconnected then put on the MUT, this then showed that the AYC was active. The AYC was not malfunctioning as such just not functioning at all and with the alarm/imm connected did not provide any op-codes to the MUT.

Dave Southend
14-01-2004, 20:09
Had it disconnected then put on the MUT, this then showed that the AYC was active. The AYC was not malfunctioning as such just not functioning at all and with the alarm/imm connected did not provide any op-codes to the MUT.

Weird. No idea why. Sorry - will have to hand over to somebody (anybody) with an ounce of technical knowledge now.

bardel
14-01-2004, 20:34
Seems to me like you need to get an alarm techinician in to resolve the problem for you.

Or maybe just have the old one ripped out and a nice new un' put in?

humbug
22-01-2004, 17:22
For those that are interested, my Immobiliser and AYC compatibility still continues! A precis of it:-

Had car serviced, told AYC faulty. Suspected Alarm/Immob. :(

Had Alarm/Immob disconnected. AYC OK :-)

Had Alarm/Immob re-connected, but the Intellistart left unconnected. AYC non functional. :-(

The alarm is a clifford 600 with intellistart, so do any other members have this type of alarm and have had similar problems. The Alarm was/has been installed/uninstalled by approved Clifford installers.

I have learnt that if the same alarm is fitted to a scooby WRX then a modification to the unit is required, anyone know further details?

So the delemma, should I keep the 600 and live without the AYC, or should I rip it out and put a "Mitsubishi" approved one (Cobra) and have a functioning AYC?

Help please

Aidy
22-01-2004, 20:29
For those that are interested, my Immobiliser and AYC compatibility still continues! A precis of it:-

Had car serviced, told AYC faulty. Suspected Alarm/Immob. :(

Had Alarm/Immob disconnected. AYC OK :-)

Had Alarm/Immob re-connected, but the Intellistart left unconnected. AYC non functional. :-(

The alarm is a clifford 600 with intellistart, so do any other members have this type of alarm and have had similar problems. The Alarm was/has been installed/uninstalled by approved Clifford installers.

I have learnt that if the same alarm is fitted to a scooby WRX then a modification to the unit is required, anyone know further details?

So the delemma, should I keep the 600 and live without the AYC, or should I rip it out and put a "Mitsubishi" approved one (Cobra) and have a functioning AYC?

Help please

Mmmm....I have that alarm and my car is going in to get its oxy sensor replaced on Thursday. I'll get them to check out the AYC with their diagnostic tool while I'm there.

humbug
22-01-2004, 21:32
Aidey,

I'd like to know if you have same problem! Do you have intellistart on yours as well? Which garage do you take it to, I work in Hants! Could you tell me who installed your alarm, maybe I could obtain further information regarding the modification to the alarm so that it works on a Scooby, maybe its the same for an Evo as well.

Question, can the driver feel the AYC kick-in? Cos the technician said I must drive it like a 'hair-dresser' not to have know that the AYC was non-functional. I thought the car handled, so how hard do you have to drive it!!!!!

Any info would be great, cos this is niggling me as well as costing a small fortune in disconnnection and re-connecting the alarm system just so I can have a function AYC system.

Cheers

Aidy
22-01-2004, 22:18
Aidey,

I'd like to know if you have same problem! Do you have intellistart on yours as well? Which garage do you take it to, I work in Hants! Could you tell me who installed your alarm, maybe I could obtain further information regarding the modification to the alarm so that it works on a Scooby, maybe its the same for an Evo as well.

Question, can the driver feel the AYC kick-in? Cos the technician said I must drive it like a 'hair-dresser' not to have know that the AYC was non-functional. I thought the car handled, so how hard do you have to drive it!!!!!

Any info would be great, cos this is niggling me as well as costing a small fortune in disconnnection and re-connecting the alarm system just so I can have a function AYC system.

Cheers

TBH mate since I first read about your problem I've been wondering myself and want to get mine checked out for myself as much as for you :) I've never had an AWD car before and I do drive it pretty hard but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not as skilled / experienced a driver as many on this board so am not entirely sure when the ayc is working or not and if the grip/handling is just down to the 4WD and not the electrics. But on the track (and road) I know I've been in situations where I'm sure my old car would have spun but the EVO just brings itself back in check. I've also had a pro driver in my car who could tell that my g/fs suspension was one notch harder on the rear left than the rear right just by driving it for 2 mins!! I'm hoping he'd know how different kinds of diffs feel and if they are working or not.

One thing I will say is that sometimes (mainly after a service) the AYC warning light does come on occasionally but after a week past the service I never see it again. So I assume something is monitoring the fluid/pump and knows it isn't all OK. I've also had a dealer plug their MUII thing in to read the ECO codes and it came back clear....but I don't know if it would have said if there was a problem with the AYC or if you have to specifically tell it to check the AYC. That is why I'm going to ask specifically for them to check the AYC when I take it in.

I can't really say much more I'm afraid cos, as I said, I'm no rally driver :) Once I have mine checked if I get the all clear you will know it is your installation that was at fault. If mine is the same as yours then we'll both know there is a problem with the alarm itself (and that we both drive like hair dressers :) ) so either way we'll learn something. Mine has the turbo timer/intellistart module and was fitted by Techne (01256 812990).

humbug
22-01-2004, 22:33
Techne (01256 812990) = Basingstoke? Iwork not too far from there, so I might take it down to them to see if they can find any problems with it.

I can get the AYC light on by putting the car into valent mode and then pressinging the valent mode buttons again, then when I start the engine it displays the AYC fault light. Maybe you could try this out sometime and verify it .

Aidy
22-01-2004, 22:38

> Techne (01256 812990) = Basingstoke?

Yep. The business park between B&Q and the park with PC World and McDs. I can't quite remember what the park is called.

> I can get the AYC light on by putting the car into
> valent mode and then pressinging the valent mode
> buttons again, then when I start the engine it displays
> the AYC fault light.

That might just be the diagnostic. When you start the engine all the lights should come on, then go off one by one.

If you get them to look at it before Thursday, post your findings.

posix
22-01-2004, 22:45
well my ayc works fine with my sigma alarm. maybe you should get yourself a sigma then? and I don't think your clifford 600 is a cat 1 anyway...

but more to the point: could it be that the expert who installed the alarm, instead of hooking up the fuel pump hooked up the wires of the ayc processor? just a thought....

Aidy
22-01-2004, 22:51
Originally posted by posix
and I don't think your clifford 600 is a cat 1 anyway...

Yes it is.

humbug
22-01-2004, 23:00
but more to the point: could it be that the expert who installed the alarm, instead of hooking up the fuel pump hooked up the wires of the ayc processor? just a thought.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Could you expand on this please?

I believe that the 600 is Cat 1.

posix
22-01-2004, 23:28
well one of the ways an immobiliser bit of the alarm immobilises a car is to cut the power to the fuel pump. pretty much every alarm with an immobiliser has this function. so maybe the guy who was installing your alarm instead of fuel pump wires connected the ayc wires? and your ayc is thus dead?