Boost problem [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Boost problem

Tomski
28-12-2010, 12:23
Hi I have a problem with my car. The boost seems to change every time I drive the thing.
Car was ok when I got it a month or so ago but I felt a remap was in order as it was not driving as nice as it should have.

Took the car for a remap and was well happy car felt alot better to drive.
Next time i took the car out it was showing on my boost gauge that it was boosting and holding over 2 bar, it was set at 1.65 when mapped.

The car is a 05 MR 320 with just a filter, decat and walbro pump.
I Have taken the car back and had the map adjusted again and all was ok for a few days and now its overboosting again and now I can hear the dump valve leaking too.

I am thinking it could be a good idea to get a boost controller and see if that will sort it out but dont want to spend out on one if its not going to make it any better.
Cheers,
Andrew

heaveho
28-12-2010, 14:39
What boost solenoid does it currently have fitted? Also what dump valve?

stu8
28-12-2010, 14:49
as above, but also, i would rig up a pressure tester, and pressure test the intake up past the target boost you are trying to achieve. Listen for any leaks, if you are mapping the car, or setting up the boost controller, with a boost leak, you wont get consistent results

Also, if above shows no leaks, i'd check the actuator is pre tensioned correctly. What actuator does it have fitted?

Stu

Tomski
28-12-2010, 15:08
Hi I have an aps dump valve, the boost solenoid and actuator are the originals as far as I am aware.
If you read this post https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=196566 it looks like it had a problem when bullet ride owned the car but they put it down to the sports cat and sorted when they mapped it, but the car now runs a decat.
Cheers
Andrew

stu8
28-12-2010, 15:18
as above, i'd pressure test the intake first, pressure testing can easily show leaks that would be very difficult to find otherwise

I'd also check that the actuator does look standard, and not a forge jobbie

Stu

steve1066
28-12-2010, 20:21
hi andrew,
when i had the car the boost was fairly consistent but it did drop on hot days to about 1.5bar and on cold foggy ones up to about 1.7bar. One thing i was going to get was a catch can because i thought maybe the intercooler was getting dirty which could affect boost levels. Where did u get it mapped?
Hope everything else is ok

JohnFCM
30-12-2010, 23:19
does it feel any faster when the boost is showing 2 bar as the difference from 1.6 to 2 bar will drive masively different. if it drives roughly the same may be a faulty gauge sensor. if not may be a faulty actuator

Tomski
31-12-2010, 08:32
It does feel quicker when it boosts at 2 bar. went out in the car yesterday and the day before it was peaking at 1.78 on the gauge but didnt seem to tail off. I thought it could have been the gauge but i then found out that my turbo timer also shows boost etc and it reads the same on there.
How can I check if the actuator is faulty?
Thanks,
Andrew

JohnFCM
01-01-2011, 00:03
most people test them with a foot pump or bike pump. they are bit of a tight pain in the ass to get on

Tomski
07-01-2011, 19:53
Hi. Finally got round to checking it today with a hand cycle pump connected to the actuator, I could get the bar to move out about an inch and a half with hardly any pressure from the pump. It would stay out until I disconnected the pump. Does this sound about right?
Cheers
Andrew

stu8
07-01-2011, 19:57
Hi. Finally got round to checking it today with a hand cycle pump connected to the actuator, I could get the bar to move out about an inch and a half with hardly any pressure from the pump. It would stay out until I disconnected the pump. Does this sound about right?
Cheers
Andrew

how much pressure from the pump?

The pressure test I was talking about was testing the complete intake, with an adapter bung and compressor, turned down to approx 1.8 bar

Stu

Tomski
07-01-2011, 21:07
Hi. The pump I used had no gauge but it pushed the bar out of the actuator within 1 full pump action. I don't have a compressor etc to test the rest of it. Is there any other way of testing it?