Best tuner for Engine rebuild? [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Best tuner for Engine rebuild?

Locum
12-10-2010, 20:39
Who should I go to in order to get an engine rebuild done and approx what price and timescales are we looking at? I'm based in Staffs/Mids regions

FQ400 spat it's oil out everywhere inside the bonnet...pistons gone but I don't know yet whether they have gone through the block. Have been told just a short block is needed, but what's everyones opinion?

Has had work done by TRL before and usually go to Owen Developments since they know the car inside out, however don't really want to leave it with them as there is minimal communication from Mark.

What do I need? If anyone can mention each and every part needed then I suppose I could buy the parts myself and get someone to fit?

Mark Shead
12-10-2010, 20:42
Who should I go to in order to get an engine rebuild done and approx what price and timescales are we looking at? I'm based in Staffs/Mids regions

FQ400 spat it's oil out everywhere inside the bonnet...pistons gone but I don't know yet whether they have gone through the block. Have been told just a short block is needed, but what's everyones opinion?

Has had work done by TRL before and usually go to Owen Developments since they know the car inside out, however don't really want to leave it with them as there is minimal communication from Mark.

What do I need? If anyone can mention each and every part needed then I suppose I could buy the parts myself and get someone to fit?

Give a few companies a call:) and see who you prefer to talk to and go through options.

Mark

martinw
12-10-2010, 20:44
this thread could get quite messy mate and im going to stay very practical on this subject.

DONT BUILD IT YOURSELF

BUY A PRE MADE ONE FROM ROSSPORT or JACKSON AUTOMACHINE (ross can have one to you within 24 hours normally

also

MAKE SURE THER IS NO FURTHER DAMAGE TO HEAD/TURBO ETC

Locum
12-10-2010, 20:59
Cheers RossW has already quoted me today. My plan was to get parts and get a tuner to fix them (I'd never fix it myself as wouldn't have a clue!)

Current options are:
1) Leave at Mitsi dealer and get them to fix it then sell the car
2) Get a tuner to fix it (maybe into a stroker) and keep it until problems arise again
3) Recover it back from Mitsi dealer, leave it in my garage broken and forget about it lol
4) Ask Mitsi how much they'd give me for the car as it stands and then opt for an M5

Tuners get me prices and time scales for completion and what power you'll get me. Car currently has FP Green with HKS 272 cams and is 520/400ish.

Mark Shead
12-10-2010, 21:04
Cheers RossW has already quoted me today. My plan was to get parts and get a tuner to fix them (I'd never fix it myself as wouldn't have a clue!)

Current options are:
1) Leave at Mitsi dealer and get them to fix it then sell the car
2) Get a tuner to fix it (maybe into a stroker) and keep it until problems arise again
3) Recover it back from Mitsi dealer, leave it in my garage broken and forget about it lol
4) Ask Mitsi how much they'd give me for the car as it stands and then opt for an M5

Tuners get me prices and time scales for completion and what power you'll get me. Car currently has FP Green with HKS 272 cams and is 520/400ish.

Ask the tuner before buying parts as there are some parts companies wont use.

Mark

EVILUTIONXXX
12-10-2010, 21:56
this thread could get quite messy mate and im going to stay very practical on this subject.

DONT BUILD IT YOURSELF

BUY A PRE MADE ONE FROM ROSSPORT or JACKSON AUTOMACHINE (ross can have one to you within 24 hours normally

also

MAKE SURE THER IS NO FURTHER DAMAGE TO HEAD/TURBO ETC

I think that you really want to fone about, speak to various tuners,and as above , I would opt for Ross W...one stop shop for a engine build,and a turbo kit ;) :D

Best,:thumbup:
Andy

I think this thread could get messy too :mhihi:

tony66
12-10-2010, 22:04
one thing i"d say-if not doing it yourself use the same tuner to supply/fit the engine etc-sticking to their advice[new oil cooler etc]
that way you should have continuity/product back up

and if you are flogging it "broken " please drop me a pm with price

wozzy
12-10-2010, 22:45
give the one tuner so far on this thread a call. he's not too shabby when it comes to evo engines ;):mhihi:

Barrie
12-10-2010, 22:51
mad / norris or nr all excellent guys , these are the 3 that have done most for me and well poven

Conrad
12-10-2010, 23:47
Give Matt at TRL a call as he has already worked on it by the sound of it, I'm sure he would go through your options with you.

Alternatively, you wont go far wrong with Mark at MA Developments and Si at Norris Designs as other options.

I would say though, dont buy the parts yourself if you are not sure what you need.

stevov
13-10-2010, 06:32
give john at extreme motorsport a call.they built mine two and a half years and 53,000 miles ago and still going strong. 01501741548

13-10-2010, 06:45
[QUOTE=Conrad;3621032]Give Matt at TRL a call as he has already worked on it by the sound of it, I'm sure he would go through your options with you.
QUOTE]

+1 he built my engine and i have never looked back.. i sourced all my parts from ross sport

heres some numbers for you

Matt - TRL Developments 01422 347744

Ross - Ross sport 07515 936441

EVILUTIONXXX
13-10-2010, 07:44
So many engine builders, its opting for the one that works with you best, gives sound advice,and will build you a good engine,using good parts.

I am finding difficulties "agreeing" on certain parts ( I will leave it at that ).

Gingerpimp
13-10-2010, 08:39
WoW no-one has mentioned MG Auto's or Evolution Solutions...? and yet between them they creamed the MLRSS season, all categories......................there's good proof of power and quality ;) convinced me :D

EVILUTIONXXX
13-10-2010, 08:55
WoW no-one has mentioned MG Auto's or Evolution Solutions...? and yet between them they creamed the MLRSS season, all categories......................there's good proof of power and quality ;) convinced me :D

Madmat(MG Auto's),and Paul Martin(Evolution Solutions) are both top blokes mate ... dealt with Paul,and spoke to Matt (both good opts and choices,am just trying to keep neutral);) :D

DB DAN
13-10-2010, 09:23
I went with APT & Ross Sport for my engine/turbo combo and its great! :smthumbup

I went to them because all the work is done in house (apart from machining the block) from building the engine & fitting it, to mapping on the car on their dyno when its run in. I let them decide what parts to use & supply as they know far more than me :lol: They're very helpful when i phone up with some daft question and they're good on pricing too!

Seems like alot of people get an engine built somewhere, get someone else to fit it & then someone else to map it. Which i don't think is a good idea :rotz:

I can't comment on other tuners engines as this is the only one i've had built :handsup:

Tom Dick
13-10-2010, 09:36
NR Autosport (http://www.nr-autosport.com)

scubaladdie
13-10-2010, 09:58
The problem with getting everything done under one roof is most of the big tuners don't map the stock ECU and you're then left having to fork out for an unnecessary and expensive aftermarket ECU

Deano_123
13-10-2010, 11:06
its all well and good listening to everyones opinions and experiences but you should go and visit the places you are considering. when i was planning my engine i drove around most of the south visiting 5 or 6 places i had researched. NR autosport and Norris Designs workshops stood out for me as being very well ran/ clinical even and they had a lot of time to talk you through what options were available.

evo baz
13-10-2010, 11:18
its all well and good listening to everyones opinions and experiences but you should go and visit the places you are considering. when i was planning my engine i drove around most of the south visiting 5 or 6 places i had researched. NR autosport and Norris Designs workshops stood out for me as being very well ran/ clinical even and they had a lot of time to talk you through what options were available.

Nick gave me the guided tour when I dropped my car off for the engine work at NR and i was well impressed. Nice clean room for doing engine builds, seperate room for fabrication work etc. I can highly recommend NR Autosport. Their quality of work is superb and their attention to detail was also very good. Nick kept me updated throughout the build so i knew what was going on. Had the car mapped by NR too.

wozzy
13-10-2010, 11:20
I went with APT & Ross Sport for my engine/turbo combo and its great! :smthumbup

I went to them because all the work is done in house (apart from machining the block) from building the engine & fitting it, to mapping on the car on their dyno when its run in. I let them decide what parts to use & supply as they know far more than me :lol: They're very helpful when i phone up with some daft question and they're good on pricing too!

Seems like alot of people get an engine built somewhere, get someone else to fit it & then someone else to map it. Which i don't think is a good idea :rotz:

I can't comment on other tuners engines as this is the only one i've had built :handsup:

spot on imo :smthumbup

Tom Dick
13-10-2010, 11:34
^^^^ speak to Martinw on his experience on this.

kins
13-10-2010, 12:07
I'm having my build done by MG Autos this years MLRSS sprint class winners - ALL classes :D :smthumbup

evo craig
13-10-2010, 12:26
this could be a interesting read, my otions would be NR, NORRIS AND MAD then look at other options if not having it rebuilt

martianevo
13-10-2010, 17:54
NR Autosport (http://www.nr-autosport.com)

What he said.

Martin

Unobtainium
13-10-2010, 18:03

I didn't know that, that's some service!:eek:

The problem with threads like this is everyone ends up recommending whoever they currently use...which can be slightly biased to say the least.

A good iindicator of a good tuner would be to look at the top 20 cars on this list and find out who is building the engines for the sprint winning cars.

https://www.lancerregister.com/sprint_leaderboard.php?year=2010

There's also the AAA & TA cars to look at too. If a tuner can build a good engine for sprint/race or TA cars, then he is most likely to be capable of building a reliable road engine.:)

markmec
13-10-2010, 18:28
NR Autosport!!
(Numbers in my sig!!)

:smthumbup

NeilP1
13-10-2010, 18:29

top team @ M.G autos:smthumbup:smthumbup:smthumbup

and i bet mat cud get the car picked up to

Will G
13-10-2010, 18:56
this is how i see it i had my engine built by cpr and its exellent and i would recomend them so dont take my next comment out of text but if i did it again i would go to norris because and only because he gives 12 months warranty on a full build . that word WARRANTY IS WORTH A LOT if it all goes tits up how many others give a 12 month warranty on a (racing or built motor)? just for all the tuner bummers ive had no work done by norris :D

Locum
13-10-2010, 19:14
Cheers for the replies. Yes kenny you're right, people will choose who they get their work done by (majority will anyway).

Evo Beast - thanks for that didn't know ND do a 12 month warranty and YES warranty is now a big big issue to me as I have forked out a fair bit on cars myself.

My car is still at Mitsi dealer - I told them to get me a ballmark figure and explained I will most probably get a tuner to fit a stroker (depending on costs). Only had a new FP Green fitted back in July so if that is screwed then I think I'll have to get Owen Developments to rebuild it as their turbo will have had some warranty on it.

Mark Shead
13-10-2010, 19:22
Cheers for the replies. Yes kenny you're right, people will choose who they get their work done by (majority will anyway).

Evo Beast - thanks for that didn't know ND do a 12 month warranty and YES warranty is now a big big issue to me as I have forked out a fair bit on cars myself.

My car is still at Mitsi dealer - I told them to get me a ballmark figure and explained I will most probably get a tuner to fit a stroker (depending on costs). Only had a new FP Green fitted back in July so if that is screwed then I think I'll have to get Owen Developments to rebuild it as their turbo will have had some warranty on it.

Most tuners should offer a warrenty but its how you deal with a claim also thats shows how good it is.

Mark

Will G
13-10-2010, 19:30
Most tuners should offer a warrenty but its how you deal with a claim also thats shows how good it is.

Markhaha some dont ! they say its a racing engine no warranty how can we warrant a racing engine ?

Mark Shead
13-10-2010, 19:40
haha some dont ! they say its a racing engine no warranty how can we warrant a racing engine ?

Most parts from the manufactors are that way but it is the tuners responsibility to offer a good back up, Choosing good parts is important as this greatly reduces potential problems/fault.

Mark

R-Spec Performance
13-10-2010, 19:47
If they said or even indicated that would be the case I wouldn't use them. They obviously don't have faith in the parts being used or their own building skills.

haha some dont ! they say its a racing engine no warranty how can we warrant a racing engine ?

Will G
13-10-2010, 19:55
tuners get your cards out give the guy a quote and warranty he wants an engine you guys want work :smthumbup be interesting to see who does it and what warranty they give

13-10-2010, 20:03
We give 12 months on all our full builds as long as it's fitted mapped and serviced with us.

Mark Shead
13-10-2010, 20:05
tuners get your cards out give the guy a quote and warranty he wants an engine you guys want work :smthumbup be interesting to see who does it and what warranty they give

Based on a good block and it has rods if they are still in good order drive in drive out around 4500+vat depending on final spec, Warrenty 12k or 12months reducing if ALS or Launch control used, after that warrenty there is always good faith if any problems after that date.

Mark

wozzy
13-10-2010, 20:28
I didn't know that, that's some service!:eek:

The problem with threads like this is everyone ends up recommending whoever they currently use...which can be slightly biased to say the least.

A good iindicator of a good tuner would be to look at the top 20 cars on this list and find out who is building the engines for the sprint winning cars.

https://www.lancerregister.com/sprint_leaderboard.php?year=2010

There's also the AAA & TA cars to look at too. If a tuner can build a good engine for sprint/race or TA cars, then he is most likely to be capable of building a reliable road engine.:)

i kind of agree with what you've said but i dont think doing the above would tell the whole story. Obviously driver skill comes into the equation. And there is at least 1 tuner in that top 20 that changes bearings after every race meet, not something that gets broadcast on here.

On the other hand kev atkins old time attack VI is still going strong 3 seasons later with the MADevelopments engine untouched!!! :coolsm: :lol:

Mark Shead
13-10-2010, 20:31
i kind of agree with what you've said but i dont think doing the above would tell the whole story. Obviously driver skill comes into the equation. And there is at least 1 tuner in that top 20 that changes bearings after every race meet, not something that gets broadcast on here.

On the other hand kev atkins old time attack VI is still going strong 3 seasons later with the MADevelopments engine untouched!!! :coolsm: :lol:

And it was built 5 years before those 3 seasons:D and it has been on slicks for the last 3 years something people say cant be done:crackup:and it has never been opened up either :coolsm:.

Mark

Barrie
13-10-2010, 20:54
And it was built 5 years before those 3 seasons:D and it has been on slicks for the last 3 years something people say cant be done:crackup:and it has never been opened up either :coolsm:.

Mark

im guessing still no dry sump either mark ?

which amazes me how i or that car had no probs ever with surge and all others have :confused:. it confuses me why?

Will G
13-10-2010, 20:56
mg autos ma developments both looking good then and i 100% agree with warranty on a drive in drive out all built tuned and serviced by one tuner :fftopic: why do some people get a engine buillt by a fitted by b mapped by c ?and then the phone call this engine is poo blah blah blah its blown up after been mapped !!!!
then it starts see your engine builder see your mapper no it was the bloke who fitted it !

Mark Shead
13-10-2010, 20:57
im guessing still no dry sump either mark ?

which amazes me how i or that car had no probs ever with surge and all others have :confused:. it confuses me why?

No dry sump still on a stock E6 sump, Gaz now looks after the engine and has not been opened,
Its not confused me:mhihi:.

Mark

Locum
13-10-2010, 20:58
That's it Evo Beast you tell them, who wants to work on my car.....

Madmat - what prices you offering? Also time for completion?

Madevelopments - are we going stroker at that price or forged again?

Mark Shead
13-10-2010, 20:59

A stroker is 500+vat more. but would need to check your rods as that may add 550+vat for the correct strenght/weight.

Mark

Barrie
13-10-2010, 21:03
richard marples engine is another thats took some serious hammer with no failure

Locum
13-10-2010, 21:13
A stroker is 500+vat more. but would need to check your rods as that may add 550+vat for the correct strenght/weight.

Mark

500 more isn't too bad actually as stroker is the way forward is it not? I just want it as a fast road car and will never be tracked.....

Cheers

Will G
13-10-2010, 21:14

yep your paying them to do it most tuners are great guys just choose one stick with them and hammer a deal out if these guys are business men they will do all they can to get the job with in reason because they know if its dont right they will get the repeat business and possibly your friends cars thats how a motor vehicle business grows word of mouth i have heard good things about mg autos and ma developments off different people but ive not had anything done by either so keep us all posted who you choose what spec price time scale aftercare give a REAL feed back instead of the usuall tuner bumming session :smthumbup

Mark Shead
13-10-2010, 21:15
500 more isn't too bad actually as stroker is the way forward is it not? I just want it as a fast road car and will never be tracked.....

Cheers

I prefer the stroker makes for a realy nice road car.

Mark

Will G
13-10-2010, 21:15
richard marples engine is another thats took some serious hammer with no failureyeah and it flys too

NR Autosport
13-10-2010, 21:22
richard marples engine is another thats took some serious hammer with no failure

And it was built about 6 years ago :smthumbup

grants
13-10-2010, 21:36
If I was having, and I'm not, an engine rebuild costing a few k+ I'd be looking for an engine builder/tuner who could do the initial running in and most of the mapping on an engine dyno :)

That way the initial "silly" issues, aka problems, would have been corrected, 1st oil change done etc.

Then drop the engine in the car, get tuner to check mapping from the all important cold start/idle through to full power

Job done, fit and forget - well almost :eek: just follow warm-up, shut down and service instructions and the engine should last many years. Ref the Richard Marples comments above :)

This, correct option :), does limit your choice of tuner :confused:

G

markmec
13-10-2010, 21:37
Mines been spot on all year, done approx 16 sprints and a few road miles too boot!!!

Credit where its due an all that!!!!

(numbers in my sig :D )

:smthumbup

EVILUTIONXXX
14-10-2010, 07:14

+1:smthumbup :D

i.e...I am looking for quotes for a bare stroker build too!:thumbup:;)
preferablly Scotland so local

Cheers,
Andy

EVILUTIONXXX
14-10-2010, 07:16
And it was built about 6 years ago :smthumbup

good to know! :smthumbup

scubaladdie
14-10-2010, 08:28
Mark @ MA... that's a cracking price for a stroker :smthumbup

KNOXVILLE
14-10-2010, 08:48
Whatever you go for, just use the one tuner to spec, build and map. That way you know who is at fault should the worst happen.

All these people who buy parts themselves, gets an engine built, then gets Dave down the road to fit it and have someone else map it is asking for trouble IMO.

One stop tuning shop every time!

Spanpody
14-10-2010, 08:54
If I was having, and I'm not, an engine rebuild costing a few k+ I'd be looking for an engine builder/tuner who could do the initial running in and most of the mapping on an engine dyno :)

That way the initial "silly" issues, aka problems, would have been corrected, 1st oil change done etc.

Then drop the engine in the car, get tuner to check mapping from the all important cold start/idle through to full powerI dropped my car off at NR and they did the engine rebuild, ran in the engine, mapped the car and then dropped it off to me in Scotland.......now you cant ask for more than that :D

evo baz
14-10-2010, 09:37
I dropped my car off at NR and they did the engine rebuild, ran in the engine, mapped the car and then dropped it off to me in Scotland.......now you cant ask for more than that :D

Well they could have come up and collected it:crackup: (sorry for being pedantic)

Totally agree with Gav and Brian. Get the engine built, fitted and mapped by the same company. Saves a lot of grief if there are any issues.

mitsubeastie
14-10-2010, 09:54
Get your warranty in writing is my advice!

No_Evo
15-10-2010, 13:18
Can't go wrong with Mat and the rest of the boys and girls at MG Autos! Work is top notch, very friendly, keep you up to date and talk you through all options!

And they map the standard ECU :smthumbup :D

We give 12 months on all our full builds as long as it's fitted mapped and serviced with us.