Upgrading Evo 8 battery [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Upgrading Evo 8 battery

mud
05-11-2003, 21:39
My battery has given up!........I am running a couple of amps and front and rear speakers and it couldnt take it.......any ideas on what better battery I can get that will fit into the tiny space avaliable???

BHP
06-11-2003, 23:19
Mud
I remember reading somewhere that the VIII had 2 different battery types depending on where in the world it is sold. I'm sure the bigger battery is for the colder climates. I'll see if I can dig out the gen....

mud
07-11-2003, 09:58
cheers bhp:)

justin1230smith
11-11-2003, 23:42
You could upgrade the battery to the biggest the tray will handle without having to re-locate it.

Basically, look for the biggest AMP Hours and the biggest Cranking Power. ( I have found a 45 AMP Hour / 360 Amp Crack) for about 35 seems normal)

At the end of the day, consider the battery to be a reservoir, it needs filling up, if you take more out of it (big amps) than the alternator can put back in then you wil flatten it.

The best you can do is make that reservoir as big as it can be (battery upgrade).

After that you need to increase the alternator to "fill" the reservoir quiker.

A capacitor will "smooth" the supply from the batt but it will still go flat if you take more than you put in ! - There's no magic here :)

(Another battery in the boot is a way of making the reservoir bigger !)

mud
12-11-2003, 07:26
Hi Justin,

I know exactly what your saying mate, I had a look around Halfords for a different battery with more crank etc but they didnt have one that would fit in the tiny space the standard battery takes!:(

Which battery did you find? I was thinking of putting a yellow top in the boot....or maybe one power cap.

justin1230smith
12-11-2003, 08:36
I went to the manufacturers in Rayleigh, Essex.

Your tray (if you have a 6) can take a wider battery as long as the height and depth stay the same.

You have about another 2 inches, that means a battery with a couple more plates in it can be fitted and thus more storage.

You need to make sure you get a small terminal battery, you need also to make sure you get one with the +ve and -ve terms in the right place.

That will ensure it is a direct replacement without moving wires.

After that you can pick anything that fits !

- Take your car and a tape measure to a few places that do batteries, I would suggest a quick flick through the yellow pages.

But, at the end of the day, if you have amps that are to big you will just flatten the new one, they are never the same once they go flat, not like mobile phone batteries, car batteries want to be charged all the time and topped up.

An aftermarket HI-FI battery will have a different charging style, like deep cycle where they are happy (er) to go flat and be re-charged.

Hope this helps :)

Horfy
19-11-2003, 12:33
just s/s to thread ;)