Battery. Flat. Oh dear. :( [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Battery. Flat. Oh dear. :(

BillyBong
14-10-2003, 11:12
Hi all,

I had a new E7 RS2 on 01/09 and have a Clifford Concept 600 alarm fitted. The battery is too flat to start the car if I leave it for 5 days. Is this normal or do I have a problem ?

Thanks,

BillyBong. :)

lancerevoclub
14-10-2003, 11:30
you could have a problem with a loose in the electrical circuit. Please also keep in mind that evo batteries are small and weak.

AllyO
16-10-2003, 09:30
I am away from home 2 weeks at a time and on return always found the battery flat. Having talked this over with a few owners and 2 dealers it looks like a common complaint because of the demands of the alarm system and the small weak battery. I bought a small battery charger which keeps the beast topped up.

So in summary you may have a problem but most likely you have the suffering a common complaint.

Ally

bardel
16-10-2003, 20:21
I've just replaced my battery as one of the cells was dead and only lasted about two days in the garage.

It is possible to check the amount of electrical drain that the car is consuming when parked in the garage. Your local garage can do this for you, or you can do it yourself with a simple electrical meter. If anyone wants details of how to do this I can provide details. My VI didn't show any signs of consuming excessive current while armed so shouldn't be any worse than any other car (given the size of the battery).

When changing the battery I discovered that there is another battery which is the same height and width but marginally longer. This unit is of higher capacity than the standard "Micra" battery that's used in the Evo so should last longer. If I remember rightly the battery is 230mm long but it fitted in my VI with about 5mm to spare, having said that, I have a battery relocation kit, so I don't know if it will still fit in the standard location.

Having said that, if the car is left alarmed for a long period of time then it will over time still have the same effect. There are some good "Battery Conditioners" available in motor stores which "sense" the state of the battery and "maintain" it whilst fitted within the vehicle. These cost around 50 so aren't too unreasonable.

HTH

Barry

fullonloon
20-10-2003, 15:06
Had a flat battery this morning after leaving it since Saturday afternoon with a clifford 600. Could it be that it's draining too much charge?

bardel
20-10-2003, 22:33
I shouldn't think it's the alarm causing that much drain.

It really comes down to 3 things...

Shagged battery (probably 1 or 2 dead cells shorting the battery out).

Knackered alternator, not charging the battery when it's out for a drive (although your battery / ignition light should show on the dash if this is the case... sometimes only faintly glow)

And lastly, too much drain, this is more likely to be caused by a light staying on somewhere (or lights left on :blush:) or an incorrectly wired stereo / amp...

Barry