Mitsu FTO? [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Mitsu FTO?

Cheesebadger
04-08-2003, 18:39
Hi there,
I know this probably isn't the best place to ask this, but I thought I'd give it a go.

I am looking for a new car, and have seen a FTO for sale. Its a GPX I think, I can't actually remember, but it has a 2ltr V6 engine, with 200bhp?

Anyway, I drove the car, and really liked the feel and now have some questions about it.

Are they reliable? - will I have any problems with the car?
Do they keep their value? The model I am looking at is a 1995 (m) I think, and has 60km on the clock. if I keep it for a year, how much is it likely to be worth? It is currently up for 10,995 at a dealer.

Are parts (standard and modified) readily available?

Finally, the biggest of them all, I am thinking of turboing the car if I purchase it. Who could do this for me, and how much would it cost for a reliable set up. Can anyone reccomend any websites / companies who could supply more info?

Any advice / info would be greatly apprichated.

Many thanks,
Andrea.

Weebl
04-08-2003, 19:20
I used to have one for 2 years before i got the EVO so i will do my best to answer your questions.

GPX is 197 BHP as standard and not a lot you do to them makes much difference, Mitsi tuned the knackers off them as standard.

reliability.
Is it a Tiptronic gearbox or manual, the manual is more sought after and worth more, the Tips can be a bit weak if the car has not been properly looked after. Apart from that just normal car stuff unless it's been abused.

Parts are a peice of wee-wee to get hold of, see the FTOLIST (http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ftolist) although aftermarket parts can be a bit more difficult.

As to the turbo'ing thing, don't bother, too much hassle, especially with the GPX.

Saved the best till last.
the price.
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
that is just so overpriced it is beyond comprehension.
you have not looked about at all have you :tsk: :)
for that kind of money get yourself a very tidy EVO 4
already loads more grunt in a dynamically better chassis.
However if you have your heart set on one get onto the ftolist (http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ftolist) and ask some questions there.

Lee

Cheesebadger
04-08-2003, 20:05
Thanks Lee!

I looked at a 52 reg evo today, and didnt like it at all (no offence if you have one) I dont like the family car look.

It is a manual car, and I could be wrong about the year, I wasn't paying much attention to the man who was telling me about it, to be honest ;-)

I'll look around some more, and look over that link you gave me.

Thanks again!
Andrea

Weebl
04-08-2003, 20:43
Originally posted by Cheesebadger
Thanks Lee!

I looked at a 52 reg evo today, and didnt like it at all (no offence if you have one) I dont like the family car look.

Yes know what you mean
awful family car looking things :D

I could be wrong about the year, I wasn't paying much attention to the man who was telling me about it, to be honest ;-)

Are you blonde? :D

I'll look around some more, and look over that link you gave me.
Andrea

Seriously, if you want one this is the place to have a good look around and ask some questions.

Lee

Cheesebadger
04-08-2003, 21:26
Hmmm, admitably I could have sounded a bit dumb - sorry!
It's the 5 door thing I reckon...they are nice cars, don't get me wrong, but just not for me. Too big for my very small stature :-)
The FTO was an M reg 1995 for definite, but it does seem to be very over priced.
I've looked on Autotrader and on other car websites and they go for 5000 - 7000 so I'll keep looking I think.

Thanks.

Dave Southend
04-08-2003, 22:51
BTW

No standard FTO has ever produced anywhere near the stated 200BHP.

Mine was very reliable, very smooth, somewhat slow, very pretty, prone to stonechips, prone to carpark dents, had wheels that were too small, had a tip box that often did weird things but never broke, was very cheap to service and maintain.

R-Jay
05-08-2003, 07:27
I had a GPvR for nearly 2 years (SEE HERE (http://www.r-jay.co.uk/fto.htm))

Yes they are nice cars but they have their drawbacks. The major drawback I found is that Mitsubishi have designed a car that looks alot faster than it really is. It's quite embarrasing when you have things like Golf GTI's and BMW 323's keeping up with you. (maybe that was just my crap driving :o ). It is also frustrating that no matter what you do to the car you will never ever break the 200bhp mark. It was very weird how people spent thousands on Unichips and other various tuning parts but still nobody broke 200bhp. Seems strange especially as Mitsi claim it's a 200bhp car as standard (or 197 whatever it is).

So, yes they are nice cars but they can also be very very frustrating. Also, be very careful as there are some real crap FTO's out there that have been ragged.

I was lucky in that I had a very very rare FTO (GPvR Aero Series in Black) but I am so so much happier with my 7 :D

JOHNSEY
14-08-2003, 23:00
Hi Cheesebadger,
Just checked my suppliers website and they have one priced at 5600 including SVA.
With Mot, a change of tyres, reg, 12 months tax,plates etc probably 6200 in total.
The prices on autotrader sound about right.
11000 is way too high.
This car has 90000 km, interior grade of 4, overall grade 3.5.

JOHNSEY
14-08-2003, 23:14
Forgot to mention as Weebl pointed out this one is a manual.
I Only did a manual search.
The cheapest 1995 auto is 5000 and they have a nice 1996 for 6000.
My neighbours brother paid 17000 for a V reg, from our local mitsubishi dealer. What a rip off!
I found an Evo 4 on the used Mitsubishi uk site for 16,995 last night. They had it down as 1999?
The plate was a P ! Obviously they are trying to say first reg in the U.K. 1999.
Where do they get their prices from?
Evo 6 in my local dealer for 22995.