Best Reliable Evo Re-mapper in the UK? [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Best Reliable Evo Re-mapper in the UK?

YAU 730
22-04-2009, 21:56
I would want to remap my cars once i have finish all my mods but who is the best Re-mapper in the UK thats good and reliable?

I always here the name Andy Forest, but will be Subaru's he does and famous at....

Who's for the Evo's? and price wise?!

TimmyEvo6
22-04-2009, 21:59
that is like asking 'who is the best root, in the world of dirty tarts'. there are so many good ones, and so little time to try them all......

CaesarSon
22-04-2009, 22:08
Which ECU do you have fitted?

YAU 730
22-04-2009, 22:18
Yeah suppose.... well most recommended then?
I run the Standrad ECU just now..... Thinking of a Japanese brand, thinking of going for the:

Greddy E-manage our Apexi power fc....

Hard to choose and don't know whats better....

E5_DCB
22-04-2009, 22:19
Standard ECU will do..

johnbanks
22-04-2009, 22:28
It is quite difficult to judge. Evos have usually forgiving engines and stock ECUs that cover up many mistakes or mediocrity. Dyno results introduce their own bias, some don't use dynos. Tuners can be darlings one minute, and out of business the next. Some get excellent competition results. Some have good facilities. Some quote their experience. Some quote their qualifications, although the only body that claims to be a "University" with respect to aftermarket engine tuning would not be able to do so if they were based in the UK since they are not approved by Royal Charter or the Privy Council, and are actually a self appointed training company. You could go for MLR traders, although the results are not univerally perfect. Sorry to complicate it for you!

Do your own research, search on here, look into whose engines are lasting and performing.

In Scotland, I could very positively recommend Sam the Dentist who I believe has a link up with Checkpoint Garage.

Oracle
22-04-2009, 23:05
OR YOU DR Banks!

Shinobi
22-04-2009, 23:22
Heard nothing but good things about Matt at TRL. Thats who i will be using next time.

gafar187
23-04-2009, 00:47
Hi your absolutely correct :smthumbup Matt @ TRL (Halifax; West Yorkshire) All The Way. They are going to be doing my Mapping (EcuTek) for the 400/400 Very Very SOON :D

Good set of Honest lads; with full knowledge on the :mitsi: Evolution 1-10!! Any problems i've had, i have always PM'd Matt & got a response ASAP and have overcome any problems from setting up my uprated actuator to fault finding Boost leaks etc etc

MATT IS VERY VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR MAPPING YOUR EVO & IM PRETTY SURE ALOT OF OTHER MLR MEMBERS WILL AGREE HERE TOO :coolsm:

CHEERS!!

SiB321
23-04-2009, 05:55
The Racing Line - Matt

Ian6
23-04-2009, 07:41
In Scotland I think there is Wallace performance and Sam the dentist or John Banks (especially with ecuflash) as already mentioned.;)

evo baz
23-04-2009, 08:05
John @ Extreme in Whitburn or Russ @ Wallace in Aberdeen

LGEVO
23-04-2009, 08:19

:smthumbup

johnbanks
23-04-2009, 09:16
In Scotland I think there is Wallace performance and Sam the dentist or John Banks (especially with ecuflash) as already mentioned.;)

Thanks, but I haven't mapped commercially for six years and don't want to do it again whilst I have another business to run.

stevov
23-04-2009, 11:31

Gets my vote and mat at trl:smthumbup

Ian6
23-04-2009, 12:41
Thanks, but I haven't mapped commercially for six years and don't want to do it again whilst I have another business to run.

Yeah John, but the OP asked who were the best reliable mappers (in Scotland) ,hence the reply.;)

GUM EVO
23-04-2009, 13:13
Heard nothing but good things about Matt at TRL. Thats who i will be using next time.

Hi your absolutely correct :smthumbup Matt @ TRL (Halifax; West Yorkshire) All The Way. They are going to be doing my Mapping (EcuTek) for the 400/400 Very Very SOON :D

Good set of Honest lads; with full knowledge on the :mitsi: Evolution 1-10!! Any problems i've had, i have always PM'd Matt & got a response ASAP and have overcome any problems from setting up my uprated actuator to fault finding Boost leaks etc etc

MATT IS VERY VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR MAPPING YOUR EVO & IM PRETTY SURE ALOT OF OTHER MLR MEMBERS WILL AGREE HERE TOO :coolsm:

CHEERS!!

The Racing Line - Matt

Gets my vote and mat at trl:smthumbup

I am with these guys... [email protected]:coolsm::D

Ian6
23-04-2009, 13:48
Agree GUM nothing against Matt, I heard only praise on here, but the OP is in Glasgow ;)

GUM EVO
23-04-2009, 14:01
I travel from London to go there and I heard others travel further;) Its worth it when you consider second to none customer service and excellent workmanship.

Regards,
GUM

steve_barrow
23-04-2009, 14:05
Another vote for Matt @ The Racing Line :smthumbup

Taylor8
23-04-2009, 14:09
Russ at Wallace Performance:smthumbup

evo6gsrntheast
23-04-2009, 14:21
matt and the lads @TRL

AndyF_RSX
23-04-2009, 14:26
Grayw ;)

Harv
23-04-2009, 14:27
Grayw ;)

:smthumbup

Ian6
23-04-2009, 14:31
Grayw ;)

:smthumbup x3

johnbanks
23-04-2009, 14:32
Wouldn't let him touch my lawnmower ;)

No, grayw would be great but rather a long way from Glasgow to the South coast.

Trouble is we can't really identify work we've seen that we wouldn't allow on our lawnmower because it is done by traders who advertise on the forum. What with that and the fanboys who don't see or understand their maps or even their engine problems as a result of their maps, you have a minefield to negotiate. The only one I have publically commented on has risen like a phoenix from the ashes.

Taylor8
23-04-2009, 14:34
but really how can you define the best mapper??

Fastedd
23-04-2009, 14:59
Trouble is we can't really identify work we've seen that we wouldn't allow on our lawnmower because it is done by traders who advertise on the forum. What with that and the fanboys who don't see or understand their maps or even their engine problems as a result of their maps, you have a minefield to negotiate. The only one I have publically commented on has risen like a phoenix from the ashes.

Why can't "MLR traders" poor work not be discussed on this forum?

Because you pay to advertise should not make you immune to criticism if you make a pigs ear of it. Surely all feedback,good or bad is helpful for members.

GUM EVO
23-04-2009, 15:01

I dont think anyone is trying to claim "best mapper", its more a reccomendation of somone who is very very good and reliable as op asked.

Regards,
GUM

Ian6
23-04-2009, 15:01

But I think you can define a good one though;)

Taylor8
23-04-2009, 15:02
what trader or traders have been carrying out shoddy maps?? I for one would like to know:shake:
Its a forum we all pay for so I dont understand why these post should be removed?

evo baz
23-04-2009, 15:12
what trader or traders have been carrying out shoddy maps?? I for one would like to know:shake:
Its a forum we all pay for so I dont understand why these post should be removed?

ditto:confused:

AndyF_RSX
23-04-2009, 15:15

Because you pay to advertise should not make you immune to criticism if you make a pigs ear of it. Surely all feedback,good or bad is helpful for members.The problem as I see it is that things such as mapping are very much open to interpretation and can be very subjective.

A remap on a standard ECU can be a 'bad one' by definition but as John says, because the std ECU is so forgiving in terms of knock control etc. then it can run perfectly OK on the car so would this be classed as a bad map?

Likewise, you can put all sorts of wierd settings into things like injector scalings and fuel tables and yet the car will run spot on AFR's when you are mapping it because you are compensating for one issue by altering the other. Again, does this make it a bad map? or is it a good one because it makes the power on the rollers/road?

There are so many variables that can be modified and tweaked that what some people class as 'good' maps that run well on cars and make good power figures on rollers etc. can also be described as shocking by others who might have a better understanding of what is going on within the ECU.

So are we saying that bad maps are those that don't 'look' correct when viewing the maps in isolation or are we saying that bad maps are those that don't run well on the road/rollers as they are 2 different categories really?

Andy

Taylor8
23-04-2009, 15:27
just a quick question, is there a guide to self mapping?? a basice guide that you can read and take it from there?? as im quiet interested to learn a little:thumbup:

Fastedd
23-04-2009, 15:29
The problem as I see it is that things such as mapping are very much open to interpretation and can be very subjective.

A remap on a standard ECU can be a 'bad one' by definition but as John says, because the std ECU is so forgiving in terms of knock control etc. then it can run perfectly OK on the car so would this be classed as a bad map?

Likewise, you can put all sorts of wierd settings into things like injector scalings and fuel tables and yet the car will run spot on AFR's when you are mapping it because you are compensating for one issue by altering the other. Again, does this make it a bad map? or is it a good one because it makes the power on the rollers/road?

There are so many variables that can be modified and tweaked that what some people class as 'good' maps that run well on cars and make good power figures on rollers etc. can also be described as shocking by others who might have a better understanding of what is going on within the ECU.

So are we saying that bad maps are those that don't 'look' correct when viewing the maps in isolation or are we saying that bad maps are those that don't run well on the road/rollers as they are 2 different categories really?

Andy

I was refering to work in general, I'd like to think the MLR top brass were not moderating any negative feedback on a trader just because he pay's to advertise.

Caveo
23-04-2009, 15:32
I used to be on a seat Cupra forum and while running a duel port DV my car ran like a bag of spanners , and every time I commented on this DV my posts were deleted and eventualy I was banned , as the maker of the valve was a sponser.
I did alot of reasearch and spoke to one of the 3 guys who developed the DV and found out that it should never be run on a MAF car with anymore than stage 1 mods.
Just food for thought.

johnbanks
23-04-2009, 16:04
Errors commonly seen on tuner maps on the stock ECU:

Changing the fuel map from 14.7 in the closed loop areas
Fighting the lean spool disable at 7000 RPM with the fuel map
Running excessive ignition timing
Copying stock or a "one size fits all" fuelling/timing map and passing it off as a custom map
Incorrectly understanding the low octane maps
Disabling overboost fuel cut when not necessary
Not logging the engine or understanding what the logs are telling you
Not tuning for induction changes
Using inefficient MIVEC maps (some with values that MIVEC can't even run) that kill spool and reduce overall performance
Making lumpy fuel/timing/boost maps that don't just look horrid, but don't drive smoothly, when there was no sudden peak or trough at that engine operating point to warrant the lumpiness, but you've made one now.
Having huge areas of the full load ignition map with the same timing
Engine tunes that are only good for a lucky dyno run but don't run consistently on the road

A lot of this shows laziness, misunderstanding/lack of basic computer skills/ basic education/understanding of engine management (some skilled mechanics should stick to that which they are good at), or just no pride in your work, and all of it is rife in modern OEM ECU tuning. Some is due to lack of features and information about how the ECU works with commercial tuning packages. I've seen it on my own car as mapped for the previous owner, and have helped others on fixing the poor results of it on their own cars.

youngsyr
23-04-2009, 16:08
just a quick question, is there a guide to self mapping?? a basice guide that you can read and take it from there?? as im quiet interested to learn a little:thumbup:

>>HOW TO TUNE AN EVO - evolutionm.net's ECUFlash forum<< (http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflash/302895-how-tune-evo.html)

That's the link to a thread telling you all the basics, the forum that the post is in is also a goldmine of useful information, but like in a mine, you do have to dig a little for it as there are a lot of posts on there.

GUM EVO
23-04-2009, 17:01
[email protected] maps loads of standalone ecus and the o.e.m ones... stick with good advice fella:smthumbup

CaesarSon
23-04-2009, 17:21

Because you pay to advertise should not make you immune to criticism if you make a pigs ear of it. Surely all feedback,good or bad is helpful for members.

wanna bet on that. I need funds for a forged engine:D

Phil2333
23-04-2009, 17:35
Quote=Why can't "MLR traders" poor work not be discussed on this forum?

I for instance am a big lad...and id go speak with the tuner personally if i had a problem with him,or pm him.

No need really to slag someone off on here,as everybody jumps on the bangwagon.

I find one or 2 tuners im happy with....cpp and trl....then stick with them.

CaesarSon
23-04-2009, 17:39

I for instance am a big lad...and id go speak with the tuner personally if i had a problem with him,or pm him.

agree. But the site should also be there to warn members about a place. Like Andy says, it's differcult to point the finger at a bad map (unless the timing looks like 8888888888888888888888 :mhihi:) This site has worked well for warning people about a place selling fake parts, dodgy sellers.etc. I think people should be free to discuss maps/traders as well without getting flamed

23-04-2009, 17:40

As far as "i am" aware there hasn't been a case where a discussion
regarding a traders mapping paying or not has been removed from the MLR. Maybe if you recall one please post up in this thread and i will look into it.

Gary

Phil2333
23-04-2009, 17:43
As far as "i am" aware there hasn't been a case where a discussion
regarding a traders mapping paying or not has been removed from the MLR. Maybe if you recall one please post up in this thread and i will look into it.

Gary

Never mind posting on here!! get my engine fitted you!!!:crackup::D;)

Or ill start slagging you off on here:crackup::crackup::crackup:

23-04-2009, 17:45
Never mind posting on here!! get my engine fitted you!!!:crackup::D;)

Or ill start slagging you off on here:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Phil when do i ever get my hands dirty :eek: show me the kettle :mhihi:

Phil2333
23-04-2009, 17:47
Phil when do i ever get my hands dirty :eek: show me the kettle :mhihi:

If your that rusty gaz then theres pictures of what my engine used to look like on "my car"...just to refresh your memory.:D:crackup:

johnd
23-04-2009, 18:25

I find one or 2 tuners im happy with....cpp and trl....then stick with them.

That sounds a bit daft - you are saying we should all come on here praise tuners like a bunch of bumboys when they do what they have been paid for but if they make a backside of it then sweep it under the carpet and deal with it on a one to one basis. Sounds like a tuners dream scenario.

Anyone remember RC:wallbang:

Phil2333
23-04-2009, 18:28
That sounds a bit daft - you are saying we should all come on here praise tuners like a bunch of bumboys when they do what they have been paid for but if they make a backside of it then sweep it under the carpet and deal with it on a one to one basis. Sounds like a tuners dream scenario.

No mate,not at all....im saying that 1ST i would go see or pm the tuner...rather than just put up a post straight way slagging them off,like a little shiithouse...if i got no joy THEN id post up a thread.

Sorry,didnt make myself clear.:smthumbup

If your that unhappy but not big/man enough to deal with it on a one to one first,and just post up a thread on here behind a keyboard then yes,in my eyes you are a shiithouse..

Ben 6
23-04-2009, 18:30
"Why can't "MLR traders" poor work not be discussed on this forum?"

Unfortunately the MLR has no choice but to run as a business as well as a club.
I have no idea what percentage of cashflow "traders input/trader packs" are, but I'm pretty sure the MLR would struggle to operate without this cash.

There's also the guilt factor? I have some info I'm dying to get off my chest about a certain mapper/company but it would completely ruin the business or at least the mapping side. Don't think I could live with that.

prolekult
23-04-2009, 18:46

I have no idea what percentage of cashflow "traders input/trader packs" are, but I'm pretty sure the MLR would struggle to operate without this cash.

There's also the guilt factor? I have some info I'm dying to get off my chest about a certain mapper/company but it would completely ruin the business or at least the mapping side. Don't think I could live with that.

FFS Half a story:shake: Come on get it off your chest! you know you want to:mhihi:

Fastedd
23-04-2009, 18:48

Member's are the life blood of the mlr, no members = no traders.

If traders are not performing then it should be highlighted to the community, regardless off how much they put into the coffers.

evo baz
23-04-2009, 18:49
I have some info I'm dying to get off my chest about a certain mapper/company but it would completely ruin the business or at least the mapping side. Don't think I could live with that.

Spill the beans - PM would be good!

23-04-2009, 19:03
Lots of people like to post how the big bad "MLR" are protecting traders but im still awaiting proof ? The Moderators & Admin do not and never will put traders above members of this site.

smithy evo9
23-04-2009, 19:09
QUOTE=Taylor8;2668417]Russ at Wallace Performance:smthumbup[/QUOTE]

::smthumbupmhihi:

evonut270
23-04-2009, 19:10
Lots of people like to post how the big bad "MLR" are protecting traders but im still awaiting proof ? The Moderators & Admin do not and never will put traders above members of this site.thats not totally true gaz there is a member who was refused trader status with regards to mapping possibly his methods were deemed as a threat. im not 100% on the reasoning given so i wont post my thoughts on the matter.

23-04-2009, 19:25
thats not totally true gaz there is a member who was refused trader status with regards to mapping possibly his methods were deemed as a threat. im not 100% on the reasoning given so i wont post my thoughts on the matter.

Sorry but ive never heard such a load of rubbish :lol: no one has ever been refused trader status on the above grounds.

evonut270
23-04-2009, 19:29
Sorry but ive never heard such a load of rubbish :lol: no one has ever been refused trader status on the above grounds.Rubbish eh? do a search for MELLON on here and read for yourself.also i didnt give any reasons or grounds as to why.

23-04-2009, 19:30
ps

I don't get to decide who can or cannot become a trader on here :) but there are certain things anyone wishing too become a trader must meet. Im sure Darin or Chell make them very clear to people who enquire about trader status.

prolekult
23-04-2009, 19:32
Everyone watching the thread now searches MELLON :lol:

Fastedd
https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=191975

Rubbish eh? do a search for MELLON on here and read for yourself.also i didnt give any reasons or grounds as to why.

Please just link me and everyone else to the thread in question :lol:

GUM EVO
23-04-2009, 19:36
I have some info I'm dying to get off my chest about a certain mapper/company but it would completely ruin the business or at least the mapping side. Don't think I could live with that.

Spill the beans mate?? you cant say something like that and keep hush.. PM if you wish;)

Regards,
GUM

youngsyr
23-04-2009, 19:37
Lots of people like to post how the big bad "MLR" are protecting traders but im still awaiting proof ? The Moderators & Admin do not and never will put traders above members of this site.

What about insurers? Pace Ward are the only insurance related company allowed to advertise on this site, are they not?

I don't know whether Pace Ward are able to offer better insurance for members because of their exclusivity deal or not, but they certainly are protected from the other insurance companies out there within the forum.

Again, I'm not saying that that is necessarily a bad thing, or that it isn't in the members' best interests, but it is something that I bet a lot of members don't realise.

I will ask the question in the mod forum and come back with an answer when Darin or Chell have answered :)

evonut270
http://https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=251958&page=5 (https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=251958&page=5)

read post 68

prolekult
I wonder how much stamps you would need for a re-map?

prolekult
23-04-2009, 19:39
http://https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=251958&page=5 (https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=251958&page=5)

read post 68

Linky no worky

My bad it was me that wasn't working

evonut270
23-04-2009, 19:39
I wonder how much stamps you would need for a re-map?:crackup:

23-04-2009, 19:40
What about insurers? Pace Ward are the only insurance related company allowed to advertise on this site, are they not?

I don't know whether Pace Ward are able to offer better insurance for members because of their exclusivity deal or not, but they certainly are protected from the other insurance companies out there within the forum.

Again, I'm not saying that that is necessarily a bad thing, or that it isn't in the members' best interests, but it is something that I bet a lot of members don't realise.

There are lots of threads on this site mentioning other insurance companies :) we don't remove them. PW are simply the best hence why the MLR recomends them :lol: but you don't have to use them :)

evonut270
23-04-2009, 19:42
Linky no worky

My bad it was me that wasn't workingit was me mate sorted now.

Caveo
23-04-2009, 19:44
lets say i have the evoscan cables , how much do ya think a remote map would be ( come on lets undercut everyone lol )

prolekult
23-04-2009, 19:46
lets say i have the evoscan cables , how much do ya think a remote map would be ( come on lets undercut everyone lol )

2 large first class stamps and an A4 size envelope ?

youngsyr
23-04-2009, 19:53

There are lots of threads on this site mentioning other insurance companies :) we don't remove them. PW are simply the best hence why the MLR recomends them :lol: but you don't have to use them :)

Well I use Pace Ward and am very happy with them, but that doesn't mean that they are the best insurer for all members. I know owners new to performance cars and younger owners often have trouble getting insurance with them.

The point is that the MLR does protect official traders to a certain extent, which is only to be expected because as Ben mentioned earlier, I doubt the MLR could function as it does without them, but it also doesn't mean that that protection will always be in the favour of all members.

23-04-2009, 19:58
Well I use Pace Ward and am very happy with them, but that doesn't mean that they are the best insurer for all members. I know owners new to performance cars and younger owners often have trouble getting insurance with them.

The point is that the MLR does protect official traders to a certain extent, which is only to be expected because as Ben mentioned earlier, I doubt the MLR could function as it does without them, but it also doesn't mean that that protection will always be in the favour of all members.

They don't protect my business ;) new tuners/parts suppliers crop up every other week on here.

jimbob
23-04-2009, 20:02
Couldnt of said it better myself

Blair
23-04-2009, 20:16
It's against forum rules to make negative commets regarding a trader.

All the threads end up locked or removed.

Fact.

Fastedd
23-04-2009, 20:19

Fact.

Blair,

Where have you been?, your late in joining the party:lol:

Caveo
23-04-2009, 20:19
I'v been on a few forums and its the norm mate , they dont bite the hand that feeds em.

Blair
23-04-2009, 20:23
Blair,

Where have you been?, your late in joining the party:lol:

I never noticed the thread. I was reading from the start thinking 'I bet Eddie an JohnD have got involved' :lol:

evo baz
23-04-2009, 20:28
I never noticed the thread. I was reading from the start thinking 'I bet Eddie an JohnD have got involved' :lol:

Blairs been sitting on the fence for once:crackup:

23-04-2009, 22:45

Fact.

Its also against forum rules to make negative comments about members.

Fact

its not against forum rules to post about poor service/parts/general just have a read thru trader discusion.

YAU 730
23-04-2009, 23:46
Thanks for the advice.... i think i will drive down to TRL and get my car mapped by Matt sometime when i have finished all my mods.....

I still to thank him on this forum for customizing the 3" elbow and front pipe for my V.... ignore the HKS Manifold as pictured....

Could a remap be done by a few hours our would i have to leave the car there for a day our 2?

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/yau-730/IMG_2886.jpg

GUM EVO
24-04-2009, 00:43
Those bits look awesome! nice:coolsm:

Remap will be done within a few hours in most cases mate.

Regards,
GUM

Blair
24-04-2009, 08:43
its not against forum rules to post about poor service/parts/general just have a read thru trader discusion.

Nearly all the posts about traders being rubbish get locked or removed.

Half the traders on here are useless rip-off merchants.

I'd only trust a handful of them.

AndyF_RSX
24-04-2009, 08:51
Nearly all the posts about traders being rubbish get locked or removed. Are you really being serious???? How many threads about traders being rubbished have been removed? Care to mention any that you can remember?

Spanpody
24-04-2009, 08:54
'Subscribes to thread'

24-04-2009, 08:55
Nearly all the posts about traders being rubbish get locked or removed.

Half the traders on here are useless rip-off merchants.

I'd only trust a handful of them.

Blair

Its very easy for someone like yourself to make these claims but im afraid they just are not true. There are lots of posts within the trader section where members have posted bad reports aswell as good. Threads will only be locked should they start going down hill in terms of facts which is the case with any thread subject on the board not just posts about poor trader service. The MLR has on more than one occasion removed a companys trader status because of poor service to its members. The MLR offers its members lots of benefits this web site being just one of a large number. This is all made possible by members and traders alike, without either the MLR would not be as good as it is today. Im sure you yourself can't think its a bad place as you are on here.

Gary

Matt TRL
24-04-2009, 08:56
Hi Michael

Good to see you on here.

Did you get the 3 inch turbo elbow and down pipe i built for you fitted up o.k.?

Looks like i'll see you for the re-map, Many thanks

Kind Regards

Matt

Thanks for the advice.... i think i will drive down to TRL and get my car mapped by Matt sometime when i have finished all my mods.....

I still to thank him on this forum for customizing the 3" elbow and front pipe for my V.... ignore the HKS Manifold as pictured....

Could a remap be done by a few hours our would i have to leave the car there for a day our 2?

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/yau-730/IMG_2886.jpg

Blair
24-04-2009, 09:08
Threads will only be locked should they start going down hill in terms of facts which is the case with any thread subject on the board not just posts about poor trader service. Right.

Im sure you yourself can't think its a bad place as you are on here.

GaryI never said it was. I have no bother as I know now which traders to use and which to avoid.

YAU 730
24-04-2009, 11:30
Hi Michael

Good to see you on here.

Did you get the 3 inch turbo elbow and down pipe i built for you fitted up o.k.?

Looks like i'll see you for the re-map, Many thanks

Kind Regards

Matt

Hey! Matt....

Yeah i got the stuff fitted ok, but had 2 buy a new lambda Sensor as the old one just didn't come off the old pipe....

Yeah i will prob mail u soon about questions and advices for the re-map stage.....

24-04-2009, 11:34
Are you really being serious???? How many threads about traders being rubbished have been removed? Care to mention any that you can remember?

Think he may still be looking :lol:

Blair
24-04-2009, 11:38

Quite hard to search for threads that have been removed don't you think?

Ben 6
24-04-2009, 11:42

touche (don't know how to put the accent thingy above the "e"):D

Fastedd
24-04-2009, 11:45
Errors commonly seen on tuner maps on the stock ECU:

Changing the fuel map from 14.7 in the closed loop areas
Fighting the lean spool disable at 7000 RPM with the fuel map
Running excessive ignition timing
Copying stock or a "one size fits all" fuelling/timing map and passing it off as a custom map
Incorrectly understanding the low octane maps
Disabling overboost fuel cut when not necessary
Not logging the engine or understanding what the logs are telling you
Not tuning for induction changes
Using inefficient MIVEC maps (some with values that MIVEC can't even run) that kill spool and reduce overall performance
Making lumpy fuel/timing/boost maps that don't just look horrid, but don't drive smoothly, when there was no sudden peak or trough at that engine operating point to warrant the lumpiness, but you've made one now.
Having huge areas of the full load ignition map with the same timing
Engine tunes that are only good for a lucky dyno run but don't run consistently on the road

A lot of this shows laziness, misunderstanding/lack of basic computer skills/ basic education/understanding of engine management (some skilled mechanics should stick to that which they are good at), or just no pride in your work, and all of it is rife in modern OEM ECU tuning. Some is due to lack of features and information about how the ECU works with commercial tuning packages. I've seen it on my own car as mapped for the previous owner, and have helped others on fixing the poor results of it on their own cars.

Any feedback from official mappers on the above points, or is it the case they simply can't afford too?

24-04-2009, 12:02

But you made out you new threads had been removed :confused: or is it a case of jump on said band wagon ?

The MLR Moderators do not remove posts trade or members for no reason "Fact" we are not covering up any poor mapping "Fact". Darin has never asked me or any other mod to remove a post involving a traders poor work "Fact". Blair if you feel there are traders offering sub standard workmanship and can back it up with "Facts" and not here say then feel free to post on the MLR. But let me say it one last time just incase you missed it........ your post must contain technical "facts" not just youve heard off Joe from down the pub, the thread must stay on topic and not simply turn into members jumping on the bandwagon with name calling.

Blair
24-04-2009, 12:34
PM'd you Gaz.

Time to get this back on topic.

24-04-2009, 12:40
PM back M8

if anyone is wondering there is no back door off board stuff going on, just explaining to Blair in more detail this is not a dig at him and i mean what ive posted the MLR as far as im aware is not and will not cover anything up to protect its revenue.

EwanS
24-04-2009, 12:55
I belive many are "good" mappers - no question .....the difference lies in those that understand how an engine actually works....thats where I see the real mapper coming to the surface....one that will clearly identify an issue and stop the customer from pushing a limit no matter how much they want. As a few of you know I have used two very prominent mappers on here both with outstanding results in their own right - the difference between the two ? as above.....

the best thing I have learned on here is - Experience rules....

my gut tells me - stick with what I know works and works ****ing damned well

stevov
24-04-2009, 13:26
This thread was about reliability.That is proven over time and miles.performance and results. I listed the three that have kept my car right for the last 90,000 miles.nr autosport, [email protected],norris designs,mad are others whose cars have proved themselves over time and miles and results.:smthumbup

Fastedd
24-04-2009, 13:55
This thread was about reliability.That is proven over time and miles.performance and results. I listed the three that have kept my car right for the last 90,000 miles.nr autosport, [email protected],norris designs,mad are others whose cars have proved themselves over time and miles and results.:smthumbup

Yes Steve there are many good tuner's/mappers'etc on here. I personally have not had any issues with any trader(s) I have used over the past 3 years. However I would like to understand how commercial mappers get away with charging more than the cavalry on some of their efforts that has been highlighted.

Correct me if I'm wrong but have you not had more than your fair share of issues recently?

Taylor8
24-04-2009, 13:57
>>HOW TO TUNE AN EVO - evolutionm.net's ECUFlash forum<< (http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflash/302895-how-tune-evo.html)

That's the link to a thread telling you all the basics, the forum that the post is in is also a goldmine of useful information, but like in a mine, you do have to dig a little for it as there are a lot of posts on there.

Cheers have looked at that before, but will have another look at it:smthumbup

Oracle
24-04-2009, 13:59
Also how well they analyse data from the loggers and apply this.
And mechanical minded...

I belive many are "good" mappers - no question .....the difference lies in those that understand how an engine actually works....thats where I see the real mapper coming to the surface....one that will clearly identify an issue and stop the customer from pushing a limit no matter how much they want. As a few of you know I have used two very prominent mappers on here both with outstanding results in their own right - the difference between the two ? as above.....

the best thing I have learned on here is - Experience rules....

my gut tells me - stick with what I know works and works ****ing damned well

stevov
24-04-2009, 14:23
Yes Steve there are many good tuner's/mappers'etc on here. I personally have not had any issues with any trader(s) I have used over the past 3 years. However I would like to understand how commercial mappers get away with charging more than the cavalry on some of their efforts that has been highlighted.

Correct me if I'm wrong but have you not had more than your fair share of issues recently?

Gearbox third gear synchro after 100,000 miles and a turbo.neither of which are map related.:D

Fastedd
24-04-2009, 14:41
Gearbox third gear synchro after 100,000 miles and a turbo.neither of which are map related.:D

My apologies Steve, I thought you had a 80 series turbo fail due to overspeeding(mapped to 2bar plus).

stevov
24-04-2009, 15:35
My apologies Steve, I thought you had a 80 series turbo fail due to overspeeding(mapped to 2bar plus).

Overspeeding, the get out of jail free card for mamufacturers.we'll never know what caused the comp wheel damage as turbo technics delivery people lost the turbo.plus the 2bar plus was my decision.car was daily driven at 1.8 same as the 5 turbo and the green now on it:smthumbup

Mellon
11-05-2009, 13:37
Everyone watching the thread now searches MELLON :lol:

:handsup: :mhihi: