what bits should i get for my clifford. [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

what bits should i get for my clifford.

EVO LRX
17-03-2009, 21:16
I'm getting a clifford concept fitted and just wondered what add ons people thought were any good. I'm getting either the 650 or 950. i'm guessing the 950 is the same unit as the 650 just with more bits as standard?

ideally i would like all the different sensors, remote start and blackjax. will that do?

has anyone had any problems with these?

youngsyp
17-03-2009, 21:26
The more add ons you get, the more there is to go wrong... If you have a good fitter, this shouldn't be an issue though.

The dual zone microwave sensor is a good option. This will give you a 'warn away' function.
Remote start is a generally a gimmick that you'll only use for the first week of having it... It'll also void your insurance if you use it and the car get's stolen whilst the car is unattended.
Blackjax is a bit of a gimmick too. Just get the installer to activate the door locks 10 seconds after the car is started.

Of course, that's my own personal opinion. :smthumbup

Paul

EVO LRX
17-03-2009, 21:38
yeah i thought the remote start was a bit of a gimmick. just liked the idea of it.

i thought the blackjax thing was quite secure though. am i right in thinking this is a keycode that, if not entered, will cut the engine after a short while. in what way is it a gimmick?

youngsyp
17-03-2009, 21:50
I thought that Blackjax lets a would be car jacker drive the car away from the owner a certain distance, then cuts all power to the engine so it shuts off. Thus preventing the car from being truly stolen... What's going to stop the 'perp' from running back down the road and kidnapping you to get the car running again?!

I'd prefer not to get dragged out of the car in the first place. Having the doors auto lock after 10 seconds and driving defensively will help prevent this. Of course, it's by no means a guaruntee.

Paulyeah i thought the remote start was a bit of a gimmick. just liked the idea of it.

i thought the blackjax thing was quite secure though. am i right in thinking this is a keycode that, if not entered, will cut the engine after a short while. in what way is it a gimmick?

Ifty_Evo9MR
17-03-2009, 22:35
I've had Cliffords on all my cars and haven't had any problems.....remote start doesn't let you drive away unless the keys are in ignition......if you do get dragged out the black jax will kick in further down the road giving you enough time to call the police.....

A good addition to your clifford would be connecting it with your tracker, so when your alarm goes off they call you to tell you....an excellent feature in my belief.

R3BB
23-03-2009, 00:52
I'm getting a clifford concept fitted and just wondered what add ons people thought were any good. I'm getting either the 650 or 950. i'm guessing the 950 is the same unit as the 650 just with more bits as standard?

ideally i would like all the different sensors, remote start and blackjax. will that do?

has anyone had any problems with these?
Yep

Yep

Nope :smthumbup

BlackJax is the best anti-theft device going IMO.
Gets anyone with a gun/knife away from you, and the car not far.

Aidy
23-03-2009, 00:54
If you enable black jax your cat 1 status is void so remember that. Never used black jax and never used remote start, but I did use the turbo timer a lot.

andrewc1267
24-03-2009, 10:27
the 650 comes comes with a duel zone prox or ultra sonics the 950 is excactly the same alarm but comes with a duel zone prox glass break and tilt sensor blackjax is just a programable function of any 650 950 or avantgaurd providing the alarm is wired up correctly ie brake input and rpm input are connected i have alot of cars brought to me with probs with cliffords that have been fitted by idiots try to get it fitted by a vsib installer there is not really a bad product just bad installation if you need more info pm me

boxman2000
24-03-2009, 20:00
Get the Avant Guard - top bit of kit and get the serial cable for your laptop and you'll be able to configure it easily using the Clifford GUI

d3m0n
25-03-2009, 13:33
If you enable black jax your cat 1 status is void so remember that. Never used black jax and never used remote start, but I did use the turbo timer a lot.

After reading the discussion about this a while back, I enquired with Pace Ward about this, and they said it was fine and wouldn't void the Cat 1 status of the device.

I've just emailed Thatcham themselves, as I really would like Blackjax on my new car, so I want to know who's right. Watch this space...

boxman2000
25-03-2009, 13:53
After reading the discussion about this a while back, I enquired with Pace Ward about this, and they said it was fine and wouldn't void the Cat 1 status of the device.

I've just emailed Thatcham themselves, as I really would like Blackjax on my new car, so I want to know who's right. Watch this space...

Be interested in this too - can't see someone like Clifford developing this only to cause insurance to be invalid.

Same with remote start - want to get this as long as it doesn't invalidate insurance.

Aidy
25-03-2009, 13:58
Be interested in this too - can't see someone like Clifford developing this only to cause insurance to be invalid.

Same with remote start - want to get this as long as it doesn't invalidate insurance.

Ditto, would be good to get an up-to-date status on this as Thatcham do periodically change their requirements. RE invalidating insurance etc, it doesn't, it just means the alarm is not a cat 1 alarm, and it comes disabled by default...you have to actively enable it.