for anyone with 1 piece headlights...Evo 5/6 [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

for anyone with 1 piece headlights...Evo 5/6

wh0s_the_daddy
16-03-2009, 18:57
If you've got a set of 1 piece headlights and you want to have the main beam lit as well as the full beam lit when you flick to full beam then see this post below :

https://www.lancerregister.com/showpost.php?p=2595504&postcount=90

I did it on mine today and it works just fine, even better when I put my HID's in later this week.

cheers

Andy.

stu8
16-03-2009, 19:15
If you've got a set of 1 piece headlights and you want to have the main beam lit as well as the full beam lit when you flick to full beam then see this post below :

I did it on mine today and it works just fine, even better when I put my HID's in later this week.

cheers

Andy.

editted :)

I've run my HID's like this for a while now, with good results.

Stu

Stu

BHP
28-01-2010, 17:30

cheers

Andy.

BTTT for this useful post ;)

Plan on doing the same with mine within the next week or so. Got the Relays, just waiting for relay one piece connectors and H7 bulb one piece connectors to arrive, then I'll get my crimping tools out !!

NEAKY
29-01-2010, 10:31
If you aren't putting HID's in what bulbs do you need for these as i have just bought some :confused:

stu8
29-01-2010, 11:31
If you aren't putting HID's in what bulbs do you need for these as i have just bought some :confused:

fot the TSl / Cartel lights they are H1 and H7, plus a little bit of wire to split th H4 plug

Bit more involved if you want to keep dip on with main though

Stu

wh0s_the_daddy
29-01-2010, 13:03
To make things easier to change from the 1 piece lights back to standard lights at MOT time then get yourself a couple of THESE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H4-472-Bulb-Holder-Connector-Housing-Terminals_W0QQitemZ170427460109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27ae44a a0d#ht_2574wt_1026) but get THESE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-x-Male-Spade-Terminals-for-6-3mm-Multi-Connectors_W0QQitemZ170427863025QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item27ae4acff1#ht_2092wt _1026) push in connectors to put into the plug.
This way you can just plug this set up into your standard H4 headlight plug.

If you set it all up using this diagram (updated) then you won't go wrong...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/spam_junk/1pieceheadlightwiringmods.jpg

If you don't want to buy any connectors then you can just splice into the wires before the standard H4 plug and you can just plug back in your standard headlights if you need to.

The information in the YELLOW box relates to the wiring to the actual bulbs, so connect the wires to the bulbs as shown in the diagram.

The H7 bulb is your LOW beam and the H1 bulb is your HIGH beam.

The information in the BLUE box relates to the wiring up of the relay.

IF YOU JUST WANT TO WIRE UP YOUR LIGHTS SO THAT THE LOW BEAM GOES OFF AND THE HIGH BEAM COMES ON THEN JUST USE THE WIRING IN THE YELLOW BOX, DON'T BOTHER WITH THE RELAY.

BUT IF YOU WANT YOUR LOW BEAM TO STAY ON WHEN YOU PUT YOUR HIGH BEAM ON THEN FIT THE RELAY AS WIRED UP IN THE BLUE BOX ASWELL...

Normal low beam....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/spam_junk/DSCF3241.jpg

Both Hi and low beam on....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/spam_junk/DSCF3243.jpg

NOTE : IF YOU'RE GOING TO USE HID's IN BOTH YOUR HIGH & LOW BEAM THEN I'D SUGGEST YOU WIRE IN THE RELAY SO YOUR HIGH & LOW BEAM STAY ON BECAUSE THE HID's TAKE A FEW SECONDS TO BE AT FULL BRIGHTNESS.

My wiring on my E5 is as shown in the diagram, I have a thin red wire, a thin white wire and a thick black wire, yours might be just a slightly different colour but should still work the same.

hope this helps.

cheers

BHP
29-01-2010, 16:11
To make things easier to change from the 1 piece lights back to standard lights at MOT time then get yourself a couple of THESE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H4-472-Bulb-Holder-Connector-Housing-Terminals_W0QQitemZ170427460109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27ae44a a0d#ht_2574wt_1026) but get THESE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-x-Male-Spade-Terminals-for-6-3mm-Multi-Connectors_W0QQitemZ170427863025QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item27ae4acff1#ht_2092wt _1026) push in connectors to put into the plug.
This way you can just plug this set up into your standard H4 headlight plug.

If you set it all up using this diagram (updated) then you won't go wrong...

If you don't want to buy any connectors then you can just splice into the wires before the standard H4 plug and you can just plug back in your standard headlights if you need to.

The information in the YELLOW box relates to the wiring to the actual bulbs, so connect the wires to the bulbs as shown in the diagram.

The H7 bulb is your LOW beam and the H1 bulb is your HIGH beam.

The information in the BLUE box relates to the wiring up of the relay.

IF YOU JUST WANT TO WIRE UP YOUR LIGHTS SO THAT THE LOW BEAM GOES OFF AND THE HIGH BEAM COMES ON THEN JUST USE THE WIRING IN THE YELLOW BOX, DON'T BOTHER WITH THE RELAY.

BUT IF YOU WANT YOUR LOW BEAM TO STAY ON WHEN YOU PUT YOUR HIGH BEAM ON THEN FIT THE RELAY AS WIRED UP IN THE BLUE BOX ASWELL...

Normal low beam....

Both Hi and low beam on....

NOTE : IF YOU'RE GOING TO USE HID's IN BOTH YOUR HIGH & LOW BEAM THEN I'D SUGGEST YOU WIRE IN THE RELAY SO YOUR HIGH & LOW BEAM STAY ON BECAUSE THE HID's TAKE A FEW SECONDS TO BE AT FULL BRIGHTNESS.

My wiring on my E5 is as shown in the diagram, I have a thin red wire, a thin white wire and a thick black wire, yours might be just a slightly different colour but should still work the same.

hope this helps.

cheers

Great write up Andy, lots of detail, so should be pretty straight forward as a result of your hard work :smthumbup

I've got the lights and relays, so just awaiting two relay block connectors CLICKY (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270494944525&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT) and a H7 connector CLICKY (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120520290453&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT), plus I need to bottom out what wire I need to use.

TBH the HID option is the way forward for night driving, but I don't intend doing much of that, the headlights for me are more about aesthetics ;)

J3AYY
29-01-2010, 17:32

hope this helps.

cheers

Just hope the snow holds off for tommorow as i wanna fit mine :lol:
As andy said you might have differenr colour wires as i have 1 thick red/blue 1 red/yellow & 1 red/white so i will have to get hold of a multimeter to see which is which :smthumbup

wh0s_the_daddy
29-01-2010, 18:15
As andy said you might have differenr colour wires as i have 1 thick red/blue 1 red/yellow & 1 red/white so i will have to get hold of a multimeter to see which is which :smthumbup

Jay, when you put the multimeter to check which is which just remember that the lights are "earth switched", so the thick red/blue wire is a constant +12v (so put the "+" probe from the multimeter on here), and the other 2 wires are earths, when you change from Hi to Lo beam the earths switch on or off (so put the "-" probe from the multimeter on these to see which is which ).

Here's some pics of the H4 standard plug wiring so you'll see what I mean, regardless of what colour wiring you have the wires should still be in the same place in the plug....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/spam_junk/100_2227.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/spam_junk/100_2230.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/spam_junk/100_2232.jpg

EDIT : according to stu8's & Starkers posts below then your wiring Jay should be as follows :

thick red/blue wire = permanent +12v (to both bulbs) - WHITE wire in my pics - connect to pin 86 on relay

thin red/yellow wire = HIGH beam earth - RED wire in my pics - connect to pin 85 on relay

thin red/white wire = LOW beam earth - BLACK wire in my pics - connect to pin 30 on relay.

hope you get what I mean ?

cheers

Andy

stu8
29-01-2010, 19:14

with headlights switched on:

thick red/blue = permanent live

thin red/yellow = Main beam

thin red/white = Dip

all iirc of course :D

Stu

starkers
29-01-2010, 19:15
Did mine yesterday and they are as follows for the earths...
Red/white - Low beam earth
Red/yellow - High beam earth

These are in the exact same locations as Andy has posted in his above pictures ;)

Scott:smthumbup

wh0s_the_daddy
29-01-2010, 19:30
Hopefully this should clear things up a bit - if anyone needs a bit more info the just ask....:smthumbup

with headlights switched on:

thick red/blue = permanent live

thin red/yellow = Main beam

thin red/white = Dip

all iirc of course :D

Stu

Did mine yesterday and they are as follows for the earths...
Red/white - Low beam earth
Red/yellow - High beam earth

These are in the exact same locations as Andy has posted in his above pictures ;)

Scott:smthumbup

NEAKY
29-01-2010, 19:42
Not being in the slightest bit practical, could anyone suggest a good auto electrician around the Derby area who could sort my lights out for me at a reasonable cost :smthumbup

wh0s_the_daddy
29-01-2010, 20:02
Not being in the slightest bit practical, could anyone suggest a good auto electrician around the Derby area who could sort my lights out for me at a reasonable cost :smthumbup

When you say "sort out your lights", do you mean fit them or just wire them up ?

If its just to wire them up then send them to me (including your bulbs) and i'll make you up a loom that will just plug into your existing H4 plug.

I don't want anything to do it, just cover the cost of the connectors & relays & the return postage, 30.00 should cover it which will be a hell of a lot cheaper than an auto electrician.

OR you could come to my house and i'll sort it out for you here - I live in Telford, Shropshire.

cheers

NEAKY
29-01-2010, 20:16
When you say "sort out your lights", do you mean fit them or just wire them up ?

If its just to wire them up then send them to me (including your bulbs) and i'll make you up a loom that will just plug into your existing H4 plug.

I don't want anything to do it, just cover the cost of the connectors & relays & the return postage, 30.00 should cover it which will be a hell of a lot cheaper than an auto electrician.

OR you could come to my house and i'll sort it out for you here - I live in Telford, Shropshire.

cheers

I need to fit them but reckon i can manage that bit :crackup:
Some wiring has been done already and there is a hole for the sidelight but that's as far as its goes at the minute.
I may well take you up on the offer :smthumbup

wh0s_the_daddy
29-01-2010, 20:20
Offers there if you need it mate....:smthumbup

I need to fit them but reckon i can manage that bit :crackup:
Some wiring has been done already and there is a hole for the sidelight but that's as far as its goes at the minute.
I may well take you up on the offer :smthumbup

NEAKY
29-01-2010, 20:25
Offers there if you need it mate....:smthumbup

Cheers Matey :smthumbup:smthumbup

J3AYY
29-01-2010, 20:30
Cheers guys that clears it up alot :D:smthumbup

wh0s_the_daddy
30-01-2010, 09:25
Cheers guys that clears it up alot :D:smthumbup

Let us know how you get on with it Jay.

cheers

J3AYY
31-01-2010, 17:40
Let us know how you get on with it Jay.

cheers

Hey andy i did 1 headlight yesterday was gonna do the other today but the hangover i had was a bad 1 :lol: I have wired it up as your diagram the lights do work but when you put it on full beam only the H1 high beam comes on :confused:

wh0s_the_daddy
31-01-2010, 18:02
Hey andy i did 1 headlight yesterday was gonna do the other today but the hangover i had was a bad 1 :lol: I have wired it up as your diagram the lights do work but when you put it on full beam only the H1 high beam comes on :confused:

Check you have a good earth on the relay mate, I checked the wiring and made sure it all worked before i put up the diagram...

Does the relay click when you put your high beam on ?

cheers

J3AYY
31-01-2010, 18:09
Check you have a good earth on the relay mate, I checked the wiring and made sure it all worked before i put up the diagram...

Does the relay click when you put your high beam on ?

cheers

When you have just the low beam on its ok the when you flash the lights both bulbs light up & the relay clicks but when you put it on high beam the H7 goes off & just high beam on.

wh0s_the_daddy
31-01-2010, 18:34
When you have just the low beam on its ok the when you flash the lights both bulbs light up & the relay clicks but when you put it on high beam the H7 goes off & just high beam on.

You need to have BOTH lights connected up Jay, i had a similar issue when i fitted my HID's and it did my head in for hours, until i realised that the left and right lights linked some way in the mass of wiring loom, so if you've only wired up one light then it won't work correctly.

Connect up the other light and you'll be fine....:smthumbup

Let me know how you get on...

cheers

J3AYY
31-01-2010, 19:56
You need to have BOTH lights connected up Jay, i had a similar issue when i fitted my HID's and it did my head in for hours, until i realised that the left and right lights linked some way in the mass of wiring loom, so if you've only wired up one light then it won't work correctly.

Connect up the other light and you'll be fine....:smthumbup

Let me know how you get on...

cheers

Cool cheers mate will have to wait now until the weekend but the light iv put in does look good lovely looking lights :smthumbup

NEAKY
01-02-2010, 10:18
Do you have to take the bumper off to fit the lights or can you manage without :confused::confused:

wh0s_the_daddy
01-02-2010, 10:38
Do you have to take the bumper off to fit the lights or can you manage without :confused::confused:

You can do it without removing the front bumper, its a bit fiddly to get to the bolts behind the grille, but you can do it.

cheers

NEAKY
01-02-2010, 10:44
You can do it without removing the front bumper, its a bit fiddly to get to the bolts behind the grille, but you can do it.

cheers

That's what i was hoping :smthumbup, didn't want to take bumper off if i didn't need to :D

starkers
01-02-2010, 17:10
You'll have to remove the 4 main bolts (2 either side) which hold the bumper to the chassis, then remove the 2 bolts (1 either side) just inside the wheel arch, and then the 3 bolts at the top.

The bumper should be able to pull forward just enough for you to get in and remove the inner bolts.

After doing it last week my advice would be to remove the bumper for the sake of a few more clips, i have done it both ways and removal would have made the job quicker with less messing about :smthumbup

J3AYY
06-02-2010, 14:46
Done the little badgers abit fiddly with the bumper on but it is managable :smthumbup

Thanks Andy for all the advice & yea both lights do now work on high beam :D

wh0s_the_daddy
06-02-2010, 15:38
Nice one Jay, glad we got it all sorted in the end.

They look great by the way....:smthumbup:coolsm:

J3AYY
06-02-2010, 15:46

Cheers mate :smthumbup Yea there a great mod to do if you want to freshen the exterior up :D

BHP
07-02-2010, 19:22
Done the little badgers abit fiddly with the bumper on but it is managable :smthumbup

Thanks Andy for all the advice & yea both lights do now work on high beam :D

Great work Jay / Andy !!

One question, is there a quick and easy way of headlight alignment / getting the height correct as such ??

wh0s_the_daddy
07-02-2010, 19:23
Great work Jay / Andy !!

One question, is there a quick and easy way of headlight alignment / getting the height correct as such ??

yes mate, there are adjusters on each light...:smthumbup

BHP
07-02-2010, 19:48

How did you set yours Andy ?

Anything technical or is it a bit hit and miss ??

Was thinking of temp fitting my original headlights and marking my garage wall where dipped beam and high beam fell as such, then putting my one piece headlights in and seeing if I could get anywhere near them ??

Don't intend doing much night driving hense why I haven't gone for the HID set-up....

stu8
07-02-2010, 19:59

Was thinking of temp fitting my original headlights and marking my garage wall where dipped beam and high beam fell as such, then putting my one piece headlights in and seeing if I could get anywhere near them ??

Don't intend doing much night driving hense why I haven't gone for the HID set-up....

i did a bit of google searching and found some measurements of where the dip should point on a wall, from a set distance, i have not idea what the measurements were now though. As for mains, i found some open space and set them to give me the best light in front of me

Stu

BHP
07-02-2010, 20:04

i did a bit of google searching and found some measurements of where the dip should point on a wall, from a set distance, i have not idea what the measurements were now though. As for mains, i found some open space and set them to give me the best light in front of me

Stu

Cheers Stu,

I'm thinking more or less the same thing. Just don't want to be dazzling everyone if I'm on dipped beam !!

I've got all the hardware now, relays, connectors etc so will be giving this a go during the week :)

wh0s_the_daddy
07-02-2010, 20:04

I followed THIS PROCEDURE (http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-HEADLIGHT-AIMING-PROCEDURE.pdf) matey, it looks complicated but its easy to do.

You can put in your old headlights and make marks on the wall but its a lot of messing about.

Remember though that the 1 piece lights are LHD so the beam will be slightly different but you can still line them up with this method.

cheers

BHP
07-02-2010, 20:08
I followed THIS PROCEDURE (http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-HEADLIGHT-AIMING-PROCEDURE.pdf) matey, it looks complicated but its easy to do.

You can put in your old headlights and make marks on the wall but its a lot of messing about.

Remember though that the 1 piece lights are LHD so the beam will be slightly different but you can still line them up with this method.

cheers

Cheers Andy,

Looks like it will be my garage wall with a tape measure and bit of black insulation tape then !!

neverneverman
09-02-2010, 20:45
I did a set today and only had to fit one relay at the N/S head light this then sorted the O/s ..With no wireing or relay ..

stu8
09-02-2010, 20:55
I did a set today and only had to fit one relay at the N/S head light this then sorted the O/s ..With no wireing or relay ..

if i am correct, surely there is only need for a relay if you want to run dip and main together, even then there is only 1 needed

To run dip and main seperately, there is no need for any relay??? Its a while since i fitted mine, but iirc, that was how i saw it then

(also neverneverman, can you help with my 'wanted' on here? )

Stu

grants
09-02-2010, 21:05

Something like the attached :)

Should be OK for 55W bulbs but not higher or HIDS :eek:

BHP
10-02-2010, 23:11
I did a set today and only had to fit one relay at the N/S head light this then sorted the O/s ..With no wiring or relay ..

if i am correct, surely there is only need for a relay if you want to run dip and main together, even then there is only 1 needed

To run dip and main seperately, there is no need for any relay??? Its a while since i fitted mine, but iirc, that was how i saw it then

Stu

Thinking back, I'm sure only one relay comes in additional fog lights / driving lights when you buy them in Halfords etc ??

Something like the attached :)

Should be OK for 55W bulbs but not higher or HIDS :eek:

Nice one Grant, wiring / relay set-up looks exactly the same as Andy's, except I think he run's 2 relays....

My headlight trail fit went around in circles this evening, firstly mounting the side light holder in the indicator lense part of the headlight unit, then the fact that my nearside headlight won't fit because it fouls my custom made airbox assy, so I need to either remove the box around the HSK airfilter or buy a smaller diameter K&N filter :rolleyes:

xs
14-03-2010, 16:15
Pin 87 - Chassis Earth
Pin 30 - Low Beam Earth from H4 plug
Pin 85 - High beam earth from H4 plug
Pin 86 - What connects to this? Is it the high beam negative feed?

On each headlight, I assume you have 2 positive feeds (one to to each of the headlight beams) plus a negative feed to low beam as well as the relay wiring?

Does the relay just split the high beam negative into 2 for dip & high together?

xs
17-03-2010, 02:21
Pin 87 - Chassis Earth
Pin 86 - What connects to this? Is it the high beam negative feed?

On each headlight, I assume you have 2 positive feeds (one to to each of the headlight beams) plus a negative feed to low beam as well as the relay wiring?

Does the relay just split the high beam negative into 2 for dip & high together?

Got my answers, cheers wh0s_the_daddy :smthumbup

For anyone as confused as I was (can't get my head around switched earth :cry::crackup:)

Pin 87 - Chassis Earth
Pin 86 - Positive feed from H4 plug

This is as well as taking lives from H4 plug to each headlight & earths from the H4 plug to the respective Dip/High beams

xs
22-03-2010, 03:10
Thanks to wh0s_the_daddy for help with wiring info. Finally got my car up & running complete with new lighting done.

Here's a small video. All 6000k HIDs, PIAA drive lenses in bumper instead of fogs :smthumbup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uGdvU7dtVM

wh0s_the_daddy
22-03-2010, 12:30
Nice one, glad you got it sorted.....

Bet they light up the road good now :coolsm::coolsm::coolsm:

cheers

xs
22-03-2010, 21:02
Nice one, glad you got it sorted.....

Bet they light up the road good now :coolsm::coolsm::coolsm:

cheers

I won't know until I've had them aimed as I won't take it out at night until they are (don't want to dazzle people).

They look bright though. I'm well pleased with the results:smthumbup

wh0s_the_daddy
19-04-2012, 10:58
added some pics for those who still want the info, sorry to everyone who needed info and have no pictures on my threads.

Some loser decided to hack my photobucket and delete everything.

This mod lets you keep your dipped beam on aswell as your high beam, normally the dipped beam will go out when you put the high beam on.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/spam_junk/DSCF3241-1.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/spam_junk/DSCF3242.jpg

here's the wiring diagram.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/spam_junk/1pieceheadlightwiringmods-1.jpg

cheers

Andy

wilsonevo
21-05-2012, 08:14
hello people, i have done the relay thing but my high beam wasn't bright enough, is there something goes wrong on my wiring or the voltage drop when i have high and low beam on together, if so what can i do...

many thanks....

Cardsharky
21-05-2012, 08:49
Great thread Andy,
This is a mod I would love to have on my V, but you mentioned about changing back to standard lights at MOT time. I take it then that there not exactly uk legal or am I missing something out - sorry to be a bit nieve but I'm a new Evo V owner and not very knowledgable when it comes to cars - especially electrics.:handsup:

xs
21-05-2012, 22:43
Great thread Andy,
This is a mod I would love to have on my V, but you mentioned about changing back to standard lights at MOT time. I take it then that there not exactly uk legal or am I missing something out - sorry to be a bit nieve but I'm a new Evo V owner and not very knowledgable when it comes to cars - especially electrics.:handsup:

The lights are LHD so shouldn't pass a UK MOT UNLESS you fit 'beam benders' or some other headlight beam diverter (same as you'd fit to RHD lights when going abroad).

Just make sure if you do fit some that they are for LHD headlights!!, they sell them on ebay ;)

I've had no problems getting my car through an MOT with these lights fitted without 'beam bender's as they give quite a flat beam pattern, doubt most MOT testers would notice.

If they do, fit the 'beam benders' & they CANNOT fail them. You are allowed to run them permanently in the UK :smthumbup

richyx
23-08-2014, 17:07
Bump