car radio speaker problem [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

car radio speaker problem

3gan
14-03-2009, 01:26
Noticed my drivers door speaker and seperate tweeter was a little tinny so checked wiring at speaker and stereo and all seemed ok.

What is wierd is the following, when change balance and fader for front left, rear left, rear right the front right speaker sounds tinny when it should have been shut off, selecting the front right speaker on its own it sounds tinny again so I must have some type interference?

The system worked fine and has been installed for 3yrs now so I am very confused as to what the problem can be.

Anyone have any ideas please, maybe the stereo is knackered?
Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
3gan :wallbang:

evo6gsrntheast
14-03-2009, 15:19
sounds like the main speaker in the door is fkt. and the tweeter is still working.or could b the x over. bye some new speakers like vibe ones etc

3gan
14-03-2009, 20:25
sounds like the main speaker in the door is fkt. and the tweeter is still working.or could b the x over. bye some new speakers like vibe ones etc

I hope thats the problem buddy I just hate looking at that big bundle of wires behind the stereo!

I have some big Kenwoods in there at the moment which were ace!

Ill try and swap them over and see if it makes any difference.

Many thanks, anyone else fot any ideas!!!!!

3gan

3gan
18-03-2009, 23:34

Yeah looks like speaker ****ed!

I measure across the speaker and it says 6", 15cm, what size do I order as I have been told I should have measured the cone! DOH!!!!

evo6gsrntheast
19-03-2009, 00:27
carnt u just order the same speakers . if u carnt i think its 6'15cm. its not the cone its the speaker basket what sits in the door. i got db audio in myn go on there website.

3gan
19-03-2009, 00:56
Speakers in there at the moment are: Kenwood KFC-U1792 looks like they are available in Japan only, or discontinued :-(

paul stevo
19-03-2009, 08:42
its worth checking am i right in thinking that the x overs are in the doors ??

also you wouldnt beleive how condensation can soak the terminals on the x over , it sounds like a shorting out , the same you get when rca lead is crushed or the speaker is earthing out ,

first check the x over look inside it,, if possible check its not wet inside it , ?

i put mine inside carrier bags and seal them up with electrical tape ,
also if your running amps to power these check the rca cables i got new ones on ebay for 12 two sets 5 meteres each

as when the back seat was pulled out on my car to repair broken glass , they squashed two rca leads causing it to sound crap ! hth paul !

3gan
19-03-2009, 21:29
its worth checking am i right in thinking that the x overs are in the doors ??

also you wouldnt beleive how condensation can soak the terminals on the x over , it sounds like a shorting out , the same you get when rca lead is crushed or the speaker is earthing out ,

first check the x over look inside it,, if possible check its not wet inside it , ?

i put mine inside carrier bags and seal them up with electrical tape ,
also if your running amps to power these check the rca cables i got new ones on ebay for 12 two sets 5 meteres each

as when the back seat was pulled out on my car to repair broken glass , they squashed two rca leads causing it to sound crap ! hth paul !

Many thanks for the help!
I changed the speaker for a spare I had and it worked fine, put the old speaker back in, didnt work! only the tweeter and that sounded rubbish.
Speaker definately gone inside, probably the coil/magnet thing that makes the main speaker cone move.
Damn they were a nice set of speakers but at least I now have a spare for the rear if one of those packs in lol!

Cheers,
3gan