are trackers any good [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

are trackers any good

adamevo6xxx
10-03-2009, 21:39
just spent 450 quid on a sigma alarm. am thinking of putting a tracker on the car is it worth putting one on the car are they any good what the best make one to go for to please id rather pay a one off fee so dont have to pay monthly

Richlaw245
10-03-2009, 22:29
If it gives you peace of mind that you might have a chance of recovering your car, then yes it is worth getting one.

RAC Trackstar and Trackstar 5 are good systems.

MarkM
10-03-2009, 22:48
Do yourself a favour and stay away from cobra trackers, I ****ing hate mine, bloody expensive too @ 200/year to run :(

adamevo6xxx
10-03-2009, 22:48
cheers what sort of price are they fitted mate

A13XCO
10-03-2009, 22:56
Unless its an insurance requirement, I wouldnt bother.

Got a good alarm on mine, and to be honest, if it got pinched, I wouldnt want it back!

plip1953
10-03-2009, 23:16
I use Tracker. When it came to insurance quotes it seemed to me that this was the system that counted most.

Mazanara
10-03-2009, 23:23
i has one on my last evo..... pointless, it costs way more than it saves, . . . but there is a chance to get it back, "if" its stolen , , , although i bet most people crash or damage the car almost straight away,,,,or strip it.

mad4itboyo
11-03-2009, 00:48
i have one on my evo ,tracker recovery and also have tracker responce on the r35 its not cheap but worth having:smthumbup

marksmart
11-03-2009, 02:27
I have two on my Evo....One for the insurance which is the RAC Trackstar, and that was supplied and fitted for 300 and a yearly rental of 132.00. the guy fitted it in about 30 minutes and it's where they all go up under the dash, one pull and it's in their hands. :smthumbdo However there is a chance that it doesn't come out or some one doesn't bother to check. :rolleyes:

The second type is an "Live Asset Tracker" which the equipment is established and the platform that runs it his coding and work overlaid with Google Earth's road lay outs. there is no subscription but it's like a pay as you talk, you top up the credit that way, you only pay for what the car is spending.....a 2 hour drive every day sending a ping to the server every 60 seconds will result in about 19 worth of credit every year. The equipment, supplied with battery, 12 volt hook up, pre registered Sim card, knock sensor, etc... all comes in with postage for about 250 (including about 22 for the first years platform network costs) Being Live it's pinging after first movement every 60 seconds and one second either side of the whole minute it checks location and also then reports the speed as well as location by long and lat, as well as full address and postcode...he's currently working on altitude and some geo offence features to go on to his platform so that you can receive a text if it's out of a distance between certain hours (designed for the **** taking employee's starting late and finishing early) :rolleyes:

My wife logs on to her laptop and clicks a link and waits about 14 seconds for the panel to load....she know within a further 30 seconds speed and location with a street name. I often get telling off by text if I'm caught driving to the Aquarium shop (big fish fan)...often see a text saying "Keep driving baby, NO MORE FISH!! and slow down as well!" The best bit about these Live Asset trackers is that they're yours nothing to do with any organisation so you know where you car is and you and your biggest mates and all the weapons you like can go and recover your car however you see fit.....I prefer this over t RAC Trackstar that will mean your car will get brought back by the Police on a recovery truck, and the bad guys are held somewhere without the kicking that they need. :D

There are options and for their cost they do a job, but it's worth looking into well and getting the update list of acceptable trackers from your insurance company. Bear in mind the Asset Tracker is in no way Insurance approved or recognised...but it works, which is the main thing. :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

GTIR250
11-03-2009, 08:02
Unless its required for your insurance, I would not bother.
They can be defeated without even having to find the unit on the car.:smthumbdo

Nad
11-03-2009, 12:24
I'm looking into one of those Live asset trackers as well.

Yeah they can be defeated like driving underground etc etc but at least on the Live Asset trackers you'll have its last recorded location.

MR_TOAD
11-03-2009, 21:58
I use Smart track and they never go under dash
they are fitted in various locations in the car but that is up to me
and not given to the owner
Also i request they never divulge that they have a tracker fitted
as if it is some one they know or a friend of a mate then they know about it
so for warned is for armed

Cheers Ian

GTIR250
12-03-2009, 08:08
You dont need to hide underground, you can defeat them without moving the car.:eek:

Nad
12-03-2009, 13:26
You dont need to hide underground, you can defeat them without moving the car.:eek:

Care to divulge this information :D

I assume there is no way round it...

StormTrooper
12-03-2009, 14:10
So, does this mean that there is nobody on here who has had the outcome of a theft or attempted theft changed by having a tracker?

With he number of evo theft stories being told here, I can't believe there is nobody who hasn't had an alert which has saved their car.

Surely if they are as worthless as people are making out in this thread, then the insurance companies wouldn't be supportive/requesting them fitted !?

boxman2000
12-03-2009, 14:22
I have two on my Evo....One for the insurance which is the RAC Trackstar, and that was supplied and fitted for 300 and a yearly rental of 132.00. the guy fitted it in about 30 minutes and it's where they all go up under the dash, one pull and it's in their hands. :smthumbdo However there is a chance that it doesn't come out or some one doesn't bother to check. :rolleyes:

The second type is an "Live Asset Tracker" which the equipment is established and the platform that runs it his coding and work overlaid with Google Earth's road lay outs. there is no subscription but it's like a pay as you talk, you top up the credit that way, you only pay for what the car is spending.....a 2 hour drive every day sending a ping to the server every 60 seconds will result in about 19 worth of credit every year. The equipment, supplied with battery, 12 volt hook up, pre registered Sim card, knock sensor, etc... all comes in with postage for about 250 (including about 22 for the first years platform network costs) Being Live it's pinging after first movement every 60 seconds and one second either side of the whole minute it checks location and also then reports the speed as well as location by long and lat, as well as full address and postcode...he's currently working on altitude and some geo offence features to go on to his platform so that you can receive a text if it's out of a distance between certain hours (designed for the **** taking employee's starting late and finishing early) :rolleyes:

My wife logs on to her laptop and clicks a link and waits about 14 seconds for the panel to load....she know within a further 30 seconds speed and location with a street name. I often get telling off by text if I'm caught driving to the Aquarium shop (big fish fan)...often see a text saying "Keep driving baby, NO MORE FISH!! and slow down as well!" The best bit about these Live Asset trackers is that they're yours nothing to do with any organisation so you know where you car is and you and your biggest mates and all the weapons you like can go and recover your car however you see fit.....I prefer this over t RAC Trackstar that will mean your car will get brought back by the Police on a recovery truck, and the bad guys are held somewhere without the kicking that they need. :D

There are options and for their cost they do a job, but it's worth looking into well and getting the update list of acceptable trackers from your insurance company. Bear in mind the Asset Tracker is in no way Insurance approved or recognised...but it works, which is the main thing. :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

Any more info on this Mark please?

Steve220
12-03-2009, 16:36
+1, i'd be interested too :)

Richlaw245
13-03-2009, 14:01
I have noticed that Snooper also offer a Personal Tracker system.

Link (http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=355456&sourceid=1385)

Not a bad one off price to be honest, and you could hide this unit anywhere in your car. As long as you remember to charge/change the batteries regularly.

:smthumbup

MR_TOAD
14-03-2009, 21:29
Last evo i did they pinched keys from house pinched car but they got it back

Nuf said

GTIR250
18-03-2009, 12:46
No, due to the legallity of the equipment used, and scum bags reading this.
But I have tested the equipment on a few trackers with the same outcome.:smthumbdo
I'm not saying don't bother because they (trackers) do work and the technology to defeat them not common.
I was just saying they're not as great as people claim.

ed_tommi
22-03-2009, 23:39
if you want the best look into imob's by far the best tracker around!

H3rmaN
23-03-2009, 12:22
Where can I get one of those Live Asset Trackers??

Cheers!

andrewc1267
24-03-2009, 10:18
cobra trak q have reduced there yearly to 135 inc vat or 325 inc vat for lifetime if you buy a tracker it has to stay with the vehicle with the trak q the unit is transferable when you sell the car also with the tracker moinitor when stolen a police car must drive within 3 miles to pick up the signal that will be less if in a container or lockup my good friend works in their tech dept big con con really tracker

Val
04-04-2009, 21:56
So, does this mean that there is nobody on here who has had the outcome of a theft or attempted theft changed by having a tracker?

With he number of evo theft stories being told here, I can't believe there is nobody who hasn't had an alert which has saved their car.

Surely if they are as worthless as people are making out in this thread, then the insurance companies wouldn't be supportive/requesting them fitted !?

insurance companys are out to make money, plain and simple, its cheaper for them to have a car recovered and if its been damaged to then have it repaired, than to fork out for the whole market value of the car when it was stolen.

i wud say only get a tracker if you really love your car and wud not want to replace it with another one, if ur happy with being paid out if it gets stolen then dont bother with a tracker.

ive looked into the costs and most of the time the insurance only came down by about 50-80 but the cost of the tracker and subcriptions were way more.

and as some on here hav said, if your car does get stolen, yes the insurance will pay for the "visible" damage which is fair enuf but wot bout the stuff you cant see, if the scumbags who stole your car were red lining it in every gear, doing hand brake turns, going over speed bumps at 60mph wud you really want the car back after they had ragged the sh*t out of it?

06-04-2009, 18:38
The only Tracker system which is currently unblockable is the tracker range. They work on a completely different system so aren't affected by the various blockers available on the market.