Oddesey Race Battery - Flat :( [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Oddesey Race Battery - Flat :(

_Biggles_
28-02-2009, 13:36
My motor has been parked up for the last three weeks :(

No surprise the low capacity race battery was near flat, not even enough amps to open the doors :cry:

Anyways shes running on idle, still cant drive it.

How long at idle to fully recharge, assuming of course i havent stuffed the battery

Would an hour suffice? I dont have a suitable trickle to maintain it :(

Also the complete lack of battery power, my idle revs are all over the place, has the TPS been knocked out somewhere, just seems the idle is a complete mess.

MODS: I tried to post this in technical and got told i dont have the privs!! Might want to look at that ;) Tried in FF and IE7 both the same.....

W17NNY
28-02-2009, 13:42
My motor has been parked up for the last three weeks :(

No surprise the low capacity race battery was near flat, not even enough amps to open the doors :cry:

Anyways shes running on idle, still cant drive it.

How long at idle to fully recharge, assuming of course i havent stuffed the battery

Would an hour suffice? I dont have a suitable trickle to maintain it :(

Also the complete lack of battery power, my idle revs are all over the place, has the TPS been knocked out somewhere, just seems the idle is a complete mess.

MODS: I tried to post this in technical and got told i dont have the privs!! Might want to look at that ;) Tried in FF and IE7 both the same.....

just take it a decent run and it will be ok. small batterys are a pain in the neck:goingmad:

_Biggles_
28-02-2009, 13:45
cant drive yet win :( still not fit enuff post op :(

youngsyr
28-02-2009, 13:53
The ECU will need to relearn the idle as well Nick.

JimBFC
28-02-2009, 13:56
Be better with a mains booster pack if its totally drained, is there nothing at ALL?

Andy j
28-02-2009, 13:59
If you intend to leave it for long periods you should have a look at the optimate trickle charges as you can fit a lead to the battery permanently and just plug it in when not in use. Leaving a race battery to keep going flat will shorten its life span dramatically.
An hour would be more than enough time to charge it but i would try and start it again tommorrow to make sure
Andy

dal.a
28-02-2009, 14:06
My AMS used to go flat every 2 days now i just disconnect the earth when i know it isnt going to be used.

We need what Andy mentioned.

_Biggles_
28-02-2009, 14:08
The ECU will need to relearn the idle as well Nick.

tell me bout it, its up n downing for the last hour :(

Be better with a mains booster pack if its totally drained, is there nothing at ALL?

The alarm LED was hardly even visible. no power to open doors. I jumped it off the missus diesel :)

If you intend to leave it for long periods you should have a look at the optimate trickle charges as you can fit a lead to the battery permanently and just plug it in when not in use. Leaving a race battery to keep going flat will shorten its life span dramatically.
An hour would be more than enough time to charge it but i would try and start it again tommorrow to make sure
Andy

Will do andy, this is a one off, its usually a daily mover!

Just been unable to drive for three weeks and i am GAGGING to drive it but i cant yet :(

grayw
28-02-2009, 14:22
Nick, better to remove the battery and charge it, than let the engine idle for an hour. Do you need a specific charger for it?

_Biggles_
28-02-2009, 14:32
well she just ran for hour, restarted fine.

will try tomorrow and if problematic, will have it out and charge off the car.....

im sure these sealed gel batts need a special charger, maybe RossW who supplied it can confirm, or another tuner that sells them :)

but checked voltage charging and off the car, its now fine :) Case of if it holds charge now, otherwise its a new one :cry:

adamarnold
28-02-2009, 15:38
As Andy said a trickle charge is a good idea. I have one designed to go onto a car when it is being stood up. It monitors the battery levels and turns itself on when they drop.

I can now leave the car 6 week and it will start first turn of the key.

vikingboy
28-02-2009, 17:03
i find these batteries die very quickly when discharged - Ive had two go very quickly once flat.

tic tac6
28-02-2009, 17:29
Get ya self one of these about 40 no more dead bat :smthumbup

see yaa !!
28-02-2009, 17:32
i'm with tic tac just bag an optimizer cost you about thirty quid and constantly conditions your battery as well as keeping it topped up

youngsyr
28-02-2009, 18:04
i find these batteries die very quickly when discharged - Ive had two go very quickly once flat.

I thought the Odyseey batteries were designed to be deep-cycled and could handle being run down low, unlike normal car batteries? :confused:

_Biggles_
28-02-2009, 18:43
well i intend to get an opti, if the car gets laid up, its just the driver that got laid up and couldnt start it :lol:

thanks though guys, will update thread with any bad news if is any!

Ross W
28-02-2009, 20:10
Sorry to hear this Nick, It should be fine given a decent charge, if not bring it over and I will bring it back to life ;).

I've a little trickle charger from Halfords, it has a jack you leave in car all the time and just plug it in when the car's in the garage. Its very convenient!

Used daily or even weekly the Oddeseys are fine provided there are no major pulls that would flatten any battery.

_Biggles_
28-02-2009, 20:44
Nice one ross, will keep u updated......

so stock batt charger is fine, ill be buying one, setting an accessible charge point plug and it will get plugged in most nights then!!

was worried case it needed a special unit being sealed, gel etc etc.....

cheers ross!

shocker
01-03-2009, 12:04
odessey batteries are pish
i have had three of them all went tits up after about a year and a half , they are supposed to have a 5 year warrenty , but the makers are in america and never ever honour it

Andy j
01-03-2009, 12:10
You can only charge the odesy batteries at under 15 volts i believe as otherwise you will kill it so be careful what battery charger you buy, I would stick to an optimate if i were you, like the one pictured earlier

evonut270
01-03-2009, 14:54
I thought the Odyseey batteries were designed to be deep-cycled and could handle being run down low, unlike normal car batteries? :confused:i have no idea why so many people with road cars seem to use these batteries????? these have less power than a standard nissan micra battery from halfords.im assuming your using a PC680 battery.if you look at the odyseey website these batteries are used on ATVs motorcycles and marine outboard motors with about 150hp.why most think this is a good battery to use on a car is beyond me.

thetyrant
01-03-2009, 15:04
Be careful charging a PC680 with a normal charger, the voltage of charging must not go over 15volts or it wrecks the battery!...i know ive done one and read this in manual afterwards!....battery was replaced on warranty and never had any problems with it after that, generally would loose charge a couple of weeks of not using but soon charged up (with correct charger this time!) and was fine, i could get away with about 1 week in winter and 2 weeks during summer without using car and it would still start it :)...good little battery and very very light :D

Cheers
Ian

_Biggles_
01-03-2009, 16:55
right accumate or optimate it is then!!

i found an old charger, ill see what V it kicks with the meter before attempting to charge....

shocker
01-03-2009, 18:54
i have no idea why so many people with road cars seem to use these batteries????? these have less power than a standard nissan micra battery from halfords.im assuming your using a PC680 battery.if you look at the odyseey website these batteries are used on ATVs motorcycles and marine outboard motors with about 150hp.why most think this is a good battery to use on a car is beyond me.

because tuners tell you they are the dogs ******** ( most will tell you anything just for a sale ), when really they are not suitable for day to day use , i eventualy figured this out and would never buy another one for road use , maybe use for race car to save a few ounces lol
cheers shocker

_Biggles_
01-03-2009, 19:06
totaly suitable for everyday use mate, its when you leave the car standing, thats when it goes pear shaped.

even in the coldest parts of the last winter, still started, everytime.....

_Biggles_
13-03-2009, 18:07
OK update as its only fair :D

Battery after one hour at idle, fully recharged.

Restarted following morning, no problem.

Left the car since sat 30-130, went out earlier to start her up, bang on.

This wasnt a complaint about the battery, lets be clear, its a race battery and isnt designed to stand around having an alarm drain it for weeks.

I was totally expecting a flat battery after 3 weeks if im honest, and i reckon the old one would have done the same thing!

Recharged and its sorted :D

nastygtirowner
15-03-2009, 00:58
it has a jack you leave in car all the time and just plug it in when the car's in the garage. Its very convenient!

is this something that could be incorporated into a permanent position such as in the wing or something so you can just plug the charger in ?

got to do my set up soon and want to put a charge point on the car somewhere so i can just plug it into the mains and forget about it, havn't really started looking at anything yet, just about positioned the battery holder..lol

Jon Olds
05-04-2009, 13:12
related subject sorry if this appears as a hijack;
My evo2 battery goes down if left for 2+ days.
Seems to have a 2.4A draw continuously...This must be a fault, but I cannot find which circuit is drawing it! Ive removed every fuse in turn, disconnected the alternator etc. Anybody any ideas?

rsjohn
05-04-2009, 13:31
my evo 7 battery use to run flat after 2/3 days, it was the battery pack in the tracker system that had gone flat.

Jon Olds
05-04-2009, 13:35
Interestingly if I remove the front sidelight bulbs, rears and no plate bulbs then the current drops to 1.6A. This must be a clue....

Jon Olds
05-04-2009, 15:37
Can u believe the interior courtesylight switch is somehow connected to the side lights???????????????????????????????????