Removing bulbs from the ballasts of HID lights [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Removing bulbs from the ballasts of HID lights

evo9ian
26-02-2009, 10:56
As title really, want to swap bulbs over to see if its a bulb thats gone and not the control unit.

any advice people ??

thanks

ian

Rajaman
26-02-2009, 10:59
It's v straightforward mate
Get the headlight out of the car, unscrew the cap that covers the back of the HID bulb ( unlike all the other bulbs which you can get to the holders), then Bobs your uncle, it's straightforward to swap over the bulbs and ballasts then
Ray

evo9ian
26-02-2009, 11:05
but to get the headlight unit out of the car its a bumper off job though isnt it

no way of doing it while its all together ?

Rajaman
26-02-2009, 11:12
Sorry mate, you are right, the bumper has to come off first, I thought that was explanatory as theres no way you can remove the headlight without removing the bumper
This is v easy, 1 screw on each corner where it meets the wing, 2 bolts in the middle and some plastic clips, wont take long, esp if like me you have no undertray
Ray

t2dex
26-02-2009, 12:02
Hi Ian

If your stuck and your going to attempt it yourself, you can bring your car over (I have loads of tools) and I will give you a hand.

Or just get Stu to have a look for ya

I am off probs a James on Friday greasing his car you can pop over there I will bring some tools if ya want

let me know

Dex

grayw
26-02-2009, 12:12
You can get the light out without removing the bumper, but it difficult. for the 20 minutes it takes to remove the bumper, it's the easiest way.

evo9ian
26-02-2009, 12:30
Sorry mate, you are right, the bumper has to come off first, I thought that was explanatory as theres no way you can remove the headlight without removing the bumper
This is v easy, 1 screw on each corner where it meets the wing, 2 bolts in the middle and some plastic clips, wont take long, esp if like me you have no undertray
Ray

i still have the undertray on mine

cheers ray

Hi Ian

If your stuck and your going to attempt it yourself, you can bring your car over (I have loads of tools) and I will give you a hand.

Or just get Stu to have a look for ya

I am off probs a James on Friday greasing his car you can pop over there I will bring some tools if ya want

let me know

Dex

just weighing up my options at the mo, cheers for the offer of help mate :smthumbup

You can get the light out without removing the bumper, but it difficult. for the 20 minutes it takes to remove the bumper, it's the easiest way.

cheers mate :smthumbup

youngsyp
26-02-2009, 12:38
For what it's worth, from my very limited time in Evo ownership, I've found the more parts you remove to make your life easier with better access, the quicker the job is to do.
I spent the best part of 4 hours trying to change my actuator last weekend. In the end, I removed the radiator as recommended and the job was so much easier. If I'd have done that first, I think I could have done the job, including reassembly in an hour to an hour and a half max, with a great deal fewer injuries too. :smthumbup

Pauli still have the undertray on mine

cheers ray

just weighing up my options at the mo, cheers for the offer of help mate :smthumbup

cheers mate :smthumbup