HID Lights-problem [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

HID Lights-problem

aldoevo6
08-02-2009, 23:35
Hi fitted HID kit to my VI, been working fine for about mth or two but recently, battery has been bit flat and totally dead once, battery fairly new too, then noticed that one headlight was on when I went to the car, flat again! checked wires, they seem fine, bit of water round ballast but still flickering on and off itself, wondered if it could be a faulty ballast or something, disconnected earth now, not sure next move, don't want to drag out wiring again, could a seperate switch be incorporated to stop this? anyone had any problems like this with a HID kit? all replies welcome

Brian Carroll
09-02-2009, 02:33
Does the kit have relays? I'm guessing so. The point being the ballast should see no standing live with the ignition off if not relay based so there would be no way the headlight could come on with igntion off. I'd guess your problem is related to one of the relays - possibly water in that.

There have been 2 or 3 threads on here recently about battery discharge problems with this configuration of HID kit (it kinda makes me think in terms of a systematic problem but a lot of people come on and say they have no problem with this kit). None however have had one of the lights coming on though. I don't believe in doing what you suggest which is fitting a switch to override the problem, my advice would always be get to the bottom of the problem. Besides it will only be a temporary solution in all probability in that you'll find some other behaviour manifests before too long like the lights not working at all.

aldoevo6
09-02-2009, 17:56
thanks for that, yeah does have built in relays, guy I got them suggested swopping bulbs, was going to swop ballasts over, bit easier but maybe you are right, could of been water in the relay, rest of the connections are well sealed, should probably fix it to the body better, maybe cover, just free beside the battery the now, but checked it again tonight and it isn't doing it now, disconnected earth all the same, off tomorrow so will give it a thorough check, the bulb was flickering on and off last night, thats not good for the bulb eh! intermittent faults! a pain in the arse!, cheers again

aldoevo6
10-02-2009, 15:41
Aye started doin it again, swopped bulbs same, so swopped over ballasts and it changed to that side, so getting new ballast sent and sending back old one, bit of a nuisance but least I know what it is now, the relay is well sealed, maybe get a wee bracket made up to house that and the fuse though

Brian Carroll
10-02-2009, 16:48
Aye started doin it again, swopped bulbs same, so swopped over ballasts and it changed to that side, so getting new ballast sent and sending back old one, bit of a nuisance but least I know what it is now, the relay is well sealed, maybe get a wee bracket made up to house that and the fuse though

Ok if that sorts it then brilliant.

I must admit I'm a bit confused though about how it's wired in then because as far as I can see the ballast should not be powered up with ignition off under any circumstance unless the kit has been wired in a bit oddly. What you're effectively saying is that somehow with the ignition off the ballast is striking the bulb on and off every now and again. Anyway replace it and see what happens, without seeing the wiring I can't really comment but I'm surprised by that result.