Dash Clock Problem [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Dash Clock Problem

Reaver_
01-02-2009, 17:09
A friend of mine has an evo IV that loses its speedo and rev counter after twenty minutes driving. If the engine is stopped and restarted they stay dead, but after leaving the car overnight they work fine the next day (for 20 minutes!)

It is practically stock apart from a HKS turbo timer, mph converter and the three mitsubishi din gauges.

We have taken out the turbo timer, removed the kmph converter and had the dash out to look at the clocks and all seems fine.

The temp gauge works all the time and the petrol gauge seems to be ok, its just the speedo and revs!

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Any ideas would be greatful.

Thanks

Brian Carroll
02-02-2009, 15:56
Since nobody else has posted I'll chip in, looking at the circuit digram there is only one thing in common between the Speedo and the rev counter and that is the electronics/wiring on the cluster itself. It's sounds a lot like a temperature related thing, i.e. it warms up and the connection breaks or something. That's where I'd be looking anyway, perhaps a dry solder joint on the back of the cluster.

Reaver_
20-02-2009, 13:03
Cheers Brian (only just noticed your reply!)

I will let the chap know to give that a look. Dry solder joint makes a lot of sense.

Thanks Again

keithg333
11-09-2009, 13:53
Did your mate get this sorted? Im having the same problems

ScottRallye
22-09-2013, 23:29
Ive got this issue aswell! Change of clocks needed I guess