ecu's [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

ecu's

evo4nigel
15-04-2008, 11:23
rite just want to know what people think of there ecu after its bein remaped ?
as im lookin to change mine on my 4 but weather to go for a 5 or 7 ecu is the big question as im not lookin for big gains just want to make it a bit quicker
so do i go 7 n have the option of later mods or just go 5 :confused:
and to throw a nothere spaner in the works pfc it n run stand alone :smthumbup

youngsyr
15-04-2008, 11:28
If you go with the stock 7 ECU you can map it yourself using ECUFlash (as long as you've got the plug fitted as well) and can get map switching on it and a whole host of other features on it, as I believe either (or both) BarryC or Cossie 1 have.

Adamantium
15-04-2008, 11:37
7, no question.

It can do everything the earlier ones can and then some, and you are not restricted to ecutek.

evo4nigel
15-04-2008, 11:58
mm think im goin to look into mappin n wot programs there are n wots needed to get them up n runnin
can you do live mappin while your on the road ???
that would be cool

Adamantium
15-04-2008, 12:20
yes you can, but again only with the ecuflash. It has been developed by John Banks (UK based) for his ecuflashed evo 9 but the patch will be transferrable to the 7 ecu. Not to the earlier ones though, so again its a 7 you want.

OptiBull
15-04-2008, 15:21
Im going to be fitting the 7ecu to my 4 soon. My plan being to learn how to alter the std map with ecuflash.

I mite start a thread documenting how i get on.

evo4lution
15-04-2008, 16:22
can the E5 or E7 Ecu fit on the E4 wireing or you need to get the entire wireing also with it?

cossie1
15-04-2008, 16:31
any 4.5.6.7 or 8 260 ecu will fit into an evo 4,5,6,7, or 8 260.

However if you want to beable to mess with the mapping yourself, then you need the 7 or 8 260 ecu, which will need a few minor wiring changes doing.

Personally I wouldn't use the 8 260 ecu in an earlier car, as there is too many fault codes that get thrown up for various reasons, which is why I have a 7 ecu fitted to my 6.

@ Youngsyr, yes I have map switching on mine, and if I could be arsed to wire up a clutch switch i'd have NLTS too (but it's something I wouldn't use, so haven't bothered to add the extra weight of a switch and wiring) :crackup:

evo4nigel
16-04-2008, 11:09
cossie 1
just bein reading on openecu and you seam to beclued up on this ecu mappin ?
just want to see how easi this is to lean,understand as thinkin this may be what im lookin for, just lookin at what is needed to start with i know things like ecu,cable,program time n lots of it lol but once fitted the ecu will i be look at hours or days to get it runnin rite ?
think iv open a rite can of worms lol :lol::smthumbup

cossie1
16-04-2008, 11:15
cossie 1
just bein reading on openecu and you seam to beclued up on this ecu mappin ?
just want to see how easi this is to lean,understand as thinkin this may be what im lookin for, just lookin at what is needed to start with i know things like ecu,cable,program time n lots of it lol but once fitted the ecu will i be look at hours or days to get it runnin rite ?
think iv open a rite can of worms lol :lol::smthumbup

NO mate, I would not say I am clued up on the mapping.

I am a newbie with it all myself.

However I have spent time reading up on some stuff, and I have spent alot of time looking at various maps on my desktop pc and messing about with them, before going near the car with the laptop.

Doing it on the desktop means you can learn how the sw works, and you have 0 risk of messing anything up on the car ;)

Tbh alot of it is common sense, the hardest thing for me was remembering a lower number in a fuel table means it's running rich, and vice versa, lower numbers mean lean.

The only real thing you need to do with mapping, is check the fueling is safe, and that there is no det / knock, and if so adjust it accordingly.

The above will get you a safe map, but might not give you all out power :lol:

As I said I am a newbie and believe it or not, I haven't actually messed about with mapping my car too much, all I did was flash a ralliart rom into my car, put it on the dyno and adjust the fueling to suit.

Dyno op had det cans on, so we could check that.

evo4nigel
16-04-2008, 11:45
mm well ur better than me but thats not hard anyway :lol:the only thing that puts me off is havin to run it with work ive done lol but i surpose id get better the more i do well looks like i'll be on the look out for a 7 ecu then :smthumbup