Settling mapping argument [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Settling mapping argument

boxman2000
18-02-2008, 16:09
Hi all

Been having a discussion on a local car forum about these 'bargain' mapping services offered for 200 where these are done by either swapping ECU or flashing to what is basically factory defaults and how (in my view) this can be exceptionally dangerous!!!!

My question is - purely ballpark figure, what sort of gains would you expect to see from a bog standard 9 for example on ECUTek/flash?

Cheers
Pete

staffi
18-02-2008, 16:13
Hi all

Been having a discussion on a local car forum about these 'bargain' mapping services offered for 200 where these are done by either swapping ECU or flashing to what is basically factory defaults and how (in my view) this can be exceptionally dangerous!!!!

My question is - purely ballpark figure, what sort of gains would you expect to see from a bog standard 9 for example on ECUTek/flash?

Cheers
Pete

An Ecuteked 9 can get figures as high as 400+bhp With an Exhaust, pump etc, but that's not 200, i think they're about 500-600:smthumbup

boxman2000
18-02-2008, 16:24
Just to clarify - this isn't ECUTek or ECUFlash I'm referring to.

staffi
18-02-2008, 17:17
Just to clarify - this isn't ECUTek or ECUFlash I'm referring to.

So why put Ecutek/reflash in your last paragraph then??:confused::confused:

burgers22
18-02-2008, 21:56
Not to sure what you mean here, how is the ECU flashed to factory defaults? Its already at the values Mitsi put in the ROM unless someone has reflashed it.

What would be the point in swapping one ECU for another unless the newer one had a different map. If it had a more performance orientated map, it would be the same as fitting a Ralliart ECU which is a common way of doing things and not intrinsically dodgy.

MB

cossie1
18-02-2008, 22:14
I'm assuming he means that if you swapped to another ecu or reflashed to std that the ecu just looses the settings it's picked up.

For example if you ran the car one day on crap fuel and for whatever reason it retarded the ignition but never advanced it again, then the car would be running better.

Don't see that it's dodgy either, as the ecu will simply retard itself again if it needed to.

Just means you have wasted 200 thats all, as simply disconnecting the battery for about 15 mins will do the same thing.