Another: What is the best ECU ? [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Another: What is the best ECU ?

MTHawkins
04-02-2008, 19:03
I am looking into rebuilding an 8 engine with some special modifications ie:

Cosworth head, GSC cams, nice turbo (not sure what yet!!) etc.

So was wondering what is the best ecu available at the moment?

I am looking for it to be able to do datalogging, launch control, valet mode, switchable maps (sport-normal driving mode), antilag and usb input for base map tuning etc.

Any thoughts? :smthumbup

Adamantium
04-02-2008, 20:33
nasty question that won't be answered properly on here because everyone will suggest the ecu that they have or the ecu that their tuner of chocie recommends.

It depends what you are prepared to accept.

For me the standard ecu is excellent within my current parameters of engine use. Others will want a more easily mapped standalone unit that still fits in the stock location and uses the stock loom and thats the autronic sm4. Others still will want more toys and things like wide band lambda and won't care about butchering their looms a little or running loom adapters to extra sensors that they don't currenty have.

Ultimately any essentially plug and play ecus for the evo will be flawed because the evo's standard timing wheel leaves a lot to be desired and in ultimate realms of timing accuracy is seriously lacking. To correct that you would be better off with a standalone that can run a high resolution tooth pattern on the crank timing wheel.

For me the preferred chocie in that respect would be a pectel or a life racing but only because at that level they are the only ecus that I have any experience of, the biggest plus point being their flexibility and the fact that their interface was designed by mappers not by programmers. Everything is basically where you need it to be and can be tailored to do what you want it to do.

without being into your mapping, a lot of these functions won't make any sense and you'll assume that if it runs the engine they are all the same, but this is not the case until you look a lot more closely.

I believe that there is an ecu on the horizon that has been designed from the ground by a mapper who happens to be an electronics expert, but built by life racing. This will be in the form of a generic ecu with a pcb adapter that allows it to fit into the standard ecu case and plug into the standard loom. It will have all the toys 99.9999999% of people on here would want, but it will require a custom timing wheel so isn't entirely plug and play.

I get the impression that once that is on the market, given its price, that will be the "best" in terms of what you are asking and what everyone on this and most forums expect from an ecu.

Keep your eyes open for the next few months. I amy even be tempted to run one myself if the mapper responsible for it feels like using my car as the evo guinea pig.

bloke101
04-02-2008, 20:53
nasty question that won't be answered properly on here because everyone will suggest the ecu that they have or the ecu that their tuner of chocie recommends.

For me the standard ecu is excellent within my current parameters of engine use. Others will want a more easily mapped standalone unit that still fits in the stock location and uses the stock loom and thats the autronic sm4. Others still will want more toys and things like wide band lambda and won't care about butchering their looms a little or running loom adapters to extra sensors that they don't currenty have.

Ultimately any essentially plug and play ecus for the evo will be flawed because the evo's standard timing wheel leaves a lot to be desired and in ultimate realms of timing accuracy is seriously lacking. To correct that you would be better off with a standalone that can run a high resolution tooth pattern on the crank timing wheel.

For me the preferred chocie in that respect would be a pectel or a life racing but only because at that level they are the only ecus that I have any experience of, the biggest plus point being their flexibility and the fact that their interface was designed by mappers not by programmers. Everything is basically where you need it to be and can be tailored to do what you want it to do.

without being into your mapping, a lot of these functions won't make any sense and you'll assume that if it runs the engine they are all the same, but this is not the case until you look a lot more closely.

I believe that there is an ecu on the horizon that has been designed from the ground by a mapper who happens to be an electronics expert, but built by life racing. This will be in the form of a generic ecu with a pcb adapter that allows it to fit into the standard ecu case and plug into the standard loom. It will have all the toys 99.9999999% of people on here would want, but it will require a custom timing wheel so isn't entirely plug and play.

I get the impression that once that is on the market, given its price, that will be the "best" in terms of what you are asking and what everyone on this and most forums expect from an ecu.

Keep your eyes open for the next few months. I amy even be tempted to run one myself if the mapper responsible for it feels like using my car as the evo guinea pig.

He means get a motec M800

99% less grief than squeezing blood from a stone.

He wishes he had one really.

:D

Adamantium
04-02-2008, 21:16
see, people who don't know what they are talking about just pushing their favourite ecu because they don't know any better!

It's like getting crap from an idiot! :p

MTHawkins
05-02-2008, 01:46

This sounds very interesting , Have you any further info you could give me? or if you could pm your contact number a chat would be great :thumbup:

Mark Shead
05-02-2008, 08:57
I am looking into rebuilding an 8 engine with some special modifications ie:

Cosworth head, GSC cams, nice turbo (not sure what yet!!) etc.

So was wondering what is the best ecu available at the moment?

I am looking for it to be able to do datalogging, launch control, valet mode, switchable maps (sport-normal driving mode), antilag and usb input for base map tuning etc.

Any thoughts? :smthumbup

What car is it for as your sig says GTA so you cant get a direct fit Autronic for that version.

Mark

Adamantium
05-02-2008, 09:23
am happy to pm my number, but I suspect this will come down to you choosing the tuner/mapper that is the most convenient for you and that you are happiest with and going with what they recommend. Mostly because if they are doing the work, they need familiarity to get the best out of it.

A well mapped lesser ecu is easily going to outperform a poorly mapped mega ecu with all the bells and whistles, especially if they aren't being utilised by someone who is out of their depth.

burgers22
05-02-2008, 09:38
If you are looking to do the tuning yourself, enjoy messing about with PCs and cars, you can do the things you need on the stock ECU. With an out lay of about 300 (200 for a wideband, 100 for a cable),and assuming you have a laptop, you can tune & log the stock ECU quite easily.

With some more work you can install a set of patches that have been developed, that support valet mode, switchable maps, NLTS, launch control.

It really depends on your needs and budget.

Click my sig for more info.

MB

MTHawkins
05-02-2008, 10:25
am happy to pm my number, but I suspect this will come down to you choosing the tuner/mapper that is the most convenient for you and that you are happiest with and going with what they recommend. Mostly because if they are doing the work, they need familiarity to get the best out of it.

A well mapped lesser ecu is easily going to outperform a poorly mapped mega ecu with all the bells and whistles, especially if they aren't being utilised by someone who is out of their depth.

I have a spare 8 engine at the moment so am going to do the engine work myself ..... as far as the mapping goes I will be taking it most likely to [email protected] halifax

Adamantium
05-02-2008, 10:47
that'll be the ecutek then.

It gives the same mapping options as the ecuflash but with a nicer user interface but that won't affect you if you aren't tuning.

Sadly the ecutek doesn't support all the mods that burgers has mentioned above as these were developed on a shareware basis by the ecuflash community who are staunchly anti ecutek since it charges for something that they ahve achieved for free by reverse engineering.

burgers22
05-02-2008, 11:58
I don't know about anti ECUtek, it's a very viable option for some, just takes all the fun out of it, what else would I idle away my hours with? ;)

MB

cossie1
05-02-2008, 12:25
I think TRL will map ecutek, motec, power fc, pretty much anything, except ecuflash (as there an ecutek dealer) and autronics, as I don't think there autronics dealers.

grants
05-02-2008, 18:54
What car is it for as your sig says GTA so you cant get a direct fit Autronic for that version.

Mark

Following on from Marks :wave: comments the GTA transmission is controlled by the stock ECU. I'm not aware of any "plug & play" aftermarket ECU.

Your options are;
EcuTek
burgertek ;)
A piggy back ECU, I believe RC have fitted AEM ECU's to GTA's

HTH

Grant

stevov
05-02-2008, 19:33
that'll be the ecutek then.

i think you'll find that matt is extremely competent with a number of management systems

burgers22
05-02-2008, 19:43
burgertek ;)

He he...if only I was smart enough to have added anything more than a very small contribution to the whole affair. I'm just a bit noisier than most ;)

MB

Adamantium
05-02-2008, 20:17
i think you'll find that matt is extremely competent with a number of management systems

Wouldn't suggest otherwise, just from postings on here, it seems to be his weapon of choice.

MTHawkins
05-02-2008, 23:20
Following on from Marks :wave: comments the GTA transmission is controlled by the stock ECU. I'm not aware of any "plug & play" aftermarket ECU.

Your options are;
EcuTek
burgertek ;)
A piggy back ECU, I believe RC have fitted AEM ECU's to GTA's

HTH

Grant

Its not for the GTA, I am selling that at the moment .... it for a 8 or possibly 9 GT

V2AAA
06-02-2008, 21:10

Adamantium
07-02-2008, 08:27
for cost the power fc djetro or ecutek are the way to go

if u got the dollars go motec, gems, or autronics

matt @ trl can map anythin

mark from mad is a great mapper also.

as is sam, si, russ, rich

heck, there is a good few mappers on here. long live the mlr :mitsi:

No offence intended but would you know if someone was a bad mapper?

I would expect we would have heard about it if any of the above were but that's not the point!

V2AAA
07-02-2008, 08:37

Mark Shead
07-02-2008, 08:39
Its not for the GTA, I am selling that at the moment .... it for a 8 or possibly 9 GT

Ok:)A SM4 will go on any of them, So its your choice on what system to use:D.

Mark

V2AAA
07-02-2008, 08:47

Mark Shead
07-02-2008, 08:49
:Dhi mark

will a sm4 fit on an 8 mr?

Yes:D

Mark

Adamantium
07-02-2008, 09:17
SM4 is a very nice clean option!

I had one mapped by Mark and loved every minute of it. I sold it when I went from a forged 8 to a standard 9 though I could have kept it in hindsight!

Don't think you'd be dissapointed with the ecu or the service you'd get from mark!

cooin
16-03-2008, 04:31
Hi,
I saw someone change the GTA ECU to Mine's one,sound's great!