Autronics, Power FC or ECUTEK ? [Archive] - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Autronics, Power FC or ECUTEK ?

Michael G
06-10-2007, 13:27
I am looking to have my car "remapped" within the next couple of months, and there are a lot of options out there...

Initially i had been planning to go for the ECUtek remap on my car, but having looked around here a lot lately the ECUTek remap seems really popular but its very pricey for what you get.

The other obvious option that sticks out is the replacement aftermarket ECU and the two main ones seem to be

Autronics
Apexi Power FC

Now i can only assume, but i am guessing theres only so far you can push the standard ECU with an ECUTek remap ?

I had been dead set on this, but at 600+ for remapping of your own ECU, thats not far off the fitted and mapped price of an Apexi.

Am i right in thinking that the Apexi and Autronics have a lot more ability than the standard Mitsi ecu ?

I am only after about 400bhp with my mods that i plan fitting when mapped, but in a few months, it may be upped to more if the urge takes me lol, so yeah for now the ECUTek would be an ok option, but its later down the line i am thinking of.

A few friends up here in Aberdeen run big power Skylines, one is Autronics, and one is Motec, and then there are all the guys on here i see also running Autronics. I have become quite chatty with Mark Shead through my friend Keith Cowie, and i really like the sound of the Autronics, just dont know if its overkill.....or a good investment for future upgrades....

Or would a good medium be the Power FC ?

Can anyone offer any advice / experienced opinions please ?

Thanks very much

Michael
:)

Adamantium
06-10-2007, 14:55
ecutek or ecuflash.

no offence to any of the market ecus on offer, but the standard units is incredibly powerful, integrates far better and can be reflashed with ecuflash features to give you funly aftermarket features, like flashing the check engine light when you get knock, just like the power fc can.

no lift to shift, so you don' dumo dump charge through the dump valve when going flat out.

valet mode - your own immobiliser that prevents the car running above 3k rpm when you feel like it.

then theres switchable maps, switchable anitliag 3d boost control.

all of these are features of aftermarket ecus, that are being unlocked one by one from the standard ecu - for little more than a donation to the programmers.

There is even work on making the standard ecu map based rather than maf.

The main thing which sets the standard apart from the others, is a very well set up knock control facility making it safer than aftermarket, then there's a well defined idle control and standard fault diagnostics.

These are major features that aren't available aftermarket.

Knock control can be had but for MUCH more money and when programmed aftermarket is rarely as effective.

Having learned all of this, an ecu would have to be vastly superior to make me drop the standard set up.

ecuflash can be used for mapping without buying an expensive ecutek license, and though it may be hard to persuade them to do it, any ecutek mapper is capable of remapping via ecuflash.

There are many on here who can map for you to an excellent standard and it will save you a good deal of money, all depends on where you are.

Northy 8
06-10-2007, 15:21
I believe the 9 ecu's are alot better than say a 7 ecu mate,,,
I had the ecutek,, not impressed, but might of been mapper,,,
My autronics is in a different league,,, smoother,,,
Plus if going for big power in the end, the maf will not cope,,,

MADrst
06-10-2007, 15:35
Autronic all the way :cool:

Thats what im having fitted after Christmas :D

amazingjames
06-10-2007, 15:50
I think autronics or motec are great bits of kit but only if your looking at mamoth power and not needed at the 400 mark.The stock ecu would be the best bet at those levels providing who ever sets it up knows there stuff.There are loads of 8 and 9's running over 400 with the stock ecu and just a reflash or the ecutek treatment and there more than happy with it.Don't forget that the first time you go for ecutek half the cost is for the licence wich you only pay once and all further remaps are just the normal charge without the licence fee saving around 250 to 300 on every remap after the first. There are some threads explaining why the stock ecu is so great on here and are worth read9ng..Don't forget mitsi spent millions developing it just for that engine and they have the best brains in the business doing there stuff for them..

evo8260gtr
06-10-2007, 16:06
id be looking at stock ecu or aem ems, nothing else

Adamantium
06-10-2007, 16:32
people say the autronic is smooth, normally that is just because autronics tend to be mapped by mr. shead who is very very good.

I am sure if he applied his skill to any ecu he could get the car to be smooth.

I would agree over the limit of the maf then look at something else (my preference in todays market would also be the autronic) but sub 500 (not 400) I would say ecuflash (not ecutek - since cheaper) all day long.

Richysevo8
06-10-2007, 16:44
Motec or Autronic

GTIR250
06-10-2007, 16:54
Just be done with it and get an AEM.

mike rst
06-10-2007, 17:36
I have Autronic on mine and it is fantastic the man Mr Shead mapped mine and he is very good,

Ecutek is great for what it is but it is always nice to have the option of going further and not having to replace anything that has already been upgraded and we all know that the power bug sets in and we want more,

I would say go to what ever tuner you are most comfortable with and if they provide Autronic or Motec or AEM or what ever other options there are then go with it.

Mike

Ryan!!
06-10-2007, 17:39
Autronics mate, Nick @ NR Autosport one of the best.

Michael G
06-10-2007, 18:27
I never realised there was a difference between ECUTek and ECUflash :confused:

Whats the difference ?

Adamantium
06-10-2007, 18:43
they are just ways of accessing and remapping the standard ecu.

the standard ecu of course is common to both so the hardware is the same.

ecuflash allows you to tinker more.

With regard to these ecu recommendations, it always comes dowon to what your preferred tuner prefers.

It really bugs me when people just say get x because its great, or y is better than x when their opinions are based on their own experience of a map done on their car.

In most of these cases the recommendation is usually for the mapper not the ecu, since unless they use the ecu itself and know its limitations, all they can go on is the quality of the map they are now using in their car.

Therefore make sure you consider the recommendations above in this light.

Do you want the best hardware for the task or the best mapper/map and the ecu he prefers?

Richysevo8
06-10-2007, 19:12
A good mapper can normally map different Ecus,i agree it best to ask your mapper what he would recommend :D

Michael G
06-10-2007, 19:19
Thats just it though.....being my first remap,.....i dont have a mapper, i also dont mind travelling for the proper job to be done, and each mapper will prefer a different option....

Am totally lost lol :blah:

cossie1
06-10-2007, 19:37
From reading up on here and what i've been told by the tunners I go to.

Ecutek cost 600+ on your first go, as you have to pay X amount of that cost for the licence.

Also you start with a blank canvass so to speak.

Once you have had the car mapped with ecutek, you could go to any ecutek mapper, and they will remap your car for around 250 - 300 as you already own the licence for that ecu. However if you go back to the place that did the original map, they can then "tweak" that map should anything need a minor adjustment, due to a new mod, etc etc.

With a powerfc, most places charge around 350 I think for a remap, and a tweak is possible for anyone to do, so long as the map isn't locked out on the commander.

As for autronics, I don't know much about it, and the same goes for motec (although I do know thats damn expensive).

Now ECUFLASH, well it's free, just need the cable, and some knowledge. As stated above, any mapper will beable to remap your car using ecuflash, however getting them to agree to doing it, is another matter.

PhilG
06-10-2007, 20:37
if 400 ponys is all your after, go for the remap, your wasting your money spending it on a aftermarket ecu. I regretted spending 2k on a motec.

just my opinion

Phil

Michael G
06-10-2007, 20:40
I just really resent the thought of paying for the ECUTek "licence"

I mean what a total rip off :mad:

Evo_Jay
06-10-2007, 21:29
Theres a common bit of advice for you,

"Pick your mapper, then follow his advice"

Picking your mapper is far more important than what ecu/remap you use.

Each mapper will have different preferentials. Cycle through mapping threads...pick someone out, wouldnt worry about distance, its always worth traveling for best results.

For your bhp, id either go for ECU-Tek or Apexi Power FC.

itsablueone
07-10-2007, 07:24
I've had mine done by the guru and autronics works very well. :)

Richysevo8
07-10-2007, 09:35
Originally posted by Michael G
I just really resent the thought of paying for the ECUTek "licence"

I mean what a total rip off :mad:

Why is it a rip off :confused: They have designed a program to let mappers tune cars,they have to get their money back some how or do you think these programs cost nothing to make?

Michael G
07-10-2007, 15:22
Why should you have to buy a license though ?

At least not at that price anyways.

D.D.A
07-10-2007, 17:21
autronic i think it is excellent fitted and mapped by mark shead :)

Adamantium
07-10-2007, 17:52
the license price is actually 150, I have no idea why people think it is any more.

Ecuflash - ecutek+ and no license cost.

Where abouts are you in the country.

btw. I have a question, why is there ever a license fee to pay on any fq car, when rampage ecutek in the first place to get them to 320/340/360bhp,

Since they are using an ecutek package from day one, hasn't the license already been paid for?

Michael G
07-10-2007, 18:21
Originally posted by Adamantium
the license price is actually 150, I have no idea why people think it is any more.

Ecuflash - ecutek+ and no license cost.

Where abouts are you in the country.

btw. I have a question, why is there ever a license fee to pay on any fq car, when rampage ecutek in the first place to get them to 320/340/360bhp,

Since they are using an ecutek package from day one, hasn't the license already been paid for?
Very true

I think the point i was trying to make more than anything is, Companies like Apexi put millions into developing their program, hence software, but for more or less the same price....of about 600.....Ecutek doesnt give you anything other than a remap. With the apexi at least your getting something from them which justifies your money, in the form of their unit / package, then you just get it mapped.

cossie1
07-10-2007, 19:19

Think it's the same with a PPP ecu on the later prodrive pack cars.

They use a generic map / code, therefore there is not an actual ecutek licence on the ecu, I was told.

mike rst
08-10-2007, 07:30
If you are up north try motorsports developments in Blackpool, Stu and Kenny do very little other then map different cars and different ecu's they are very very good at this and l am sure can advise an ecu to your budget

Mike

Adamantium
08-10-2007, 11:06
Originally posted by Michael G
Very true

I think the point i was trying to make more than anything is, Companies like Apexi put millions into developing their program, hence software, but for more or less the same price....of about 600.....Ecutek doesnt give you anything other than a remap. With the apexi at least your getting something from them which justifies your money, in the form of their unit / package, then you just get it mapped.

Not convinced by that argument.

Just because you get new hardware, doesn't mean it does a better job. It doesn't and can't do a better job.

All it does better is have more usable software and is more easily mapped, but the actual hardware for controlling your engine is vastly inferior.

You may resent paying for a license to use something you already own, but I do believe you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face, simply because the hardware you would be left with does an inferior job.

I am talking about emissions controls, idle speed control, knock control, fault diagnostic, cold start compensation etc etc.

Never mind the huge number of extras that ecuflash can give you.

Evosid
08-10-2007, 12:46
ecutek or ecuflash.

ecuflash can be used for mapping without buying an expensive ecutek license, and though it may be hard to persuade them to do it, any ecutek mapper is capable of remapping via ecuflash.

There are many on here who can map for you to an excellent standard and it will save you a good deal of money, all depends on where you are.

Adam,
Why are mappers so reluctant to use ECUFLASH? Has there or is there any issues that prevent mappers from taking to it, as they have done to ECUTEK.
Also do you know anyone in the Aberdeen to Edinburgh area that would be prepared to map using ECUFLASH? I was thinking of Russ @ WP or Sam the dentist

Sid

Adamantium
08-10-2007, 12:59
Sid,

Ecuflash is shareware.

No license being required means it is a cheaper alternative to ecuflash.

I would not expect any of the ecutek mappers to push it as this will **** off ecutek and probably lose them their dealer support and supply of licenses.

Now if they didn't care then they might just go ahead full steam with ecuflash.

some believe there are copyright issues with ecuflash. specifically within the subaru code there are apparently direct lines of programming that came from ecutek's earlier software versions including the names of the original developers - mervyn I believe.

I have raised this issue in relation to the evo programming and apparently it is a different story and totally not the case. ie. there is no copyright issue with using ecuflash on an evo.

On the subaru, I would go so far as to say that the private individual could tinker to their hearts content purely because of the cost issue of a copyright action against an individual. It simply wouldn't happen.

Ecutek will not want to have no way of protecting their market share which is considerable but the community at large is making leaps and bounds with stock ecu dissassembly producing features that you NEED to use ecuflash to incorporate.

You might be able to get a non ecutek licensed mapper to map the stock ecu using ecuflash, it would certainly give him a chunk of another market, eg. mark shead, but he has so much going on and can make probably better money with autronic, that he doesn't need to be messing around with the stock ecu.

Evosid
08-10-2007, 13:14
Adam cheers for the very quick reply.
So will ECUFLASH work on an EVO VI ECU. Also what other hardware or software do i need to try it out? ALso is there any downsides to this software.

Sid

cossie1
08-10-2007, 13:26
Originally posted by Evosid
Adam cheers for the very quick reply.
So will ECUFLASH work on an EVO VI ECU. Also what other hardware or software do i need to try it out? ALso is there any downsides to this software.

Sid

It is meant to beable to read an evo 6 ecu, however I never got it to read mine, just failed to connect.

Works fine with a 7,8,9 ecu atm, but in time it will work with the 5 and 6 ecu for remapping too.

boxman2000
08-10-2007, 17:01
This is a great thread, wish there were some stickies on these sorts of subjects, make life alot easier and stop repeat posts (well one out of two isn't bad!!!)

andy i
08-10-2007, 20:02
I was considering going for an after market ecu ( prob Autronic) but having already had Ecutek remap and read TRL's results on a 9 with an evogreen turbo Ecutek (Think it was around 360whp) then with my next set of mods it would only be around 250 to have it mapped.

Cost wise (with a second remap) I would be looking at around 850 mark for Ecutek. But for Autronic then it would easily be 2k by now and would end up with similar results, I know where i'm going and what i'm sticking with.

Ofcourse Autronic is very good as is Motec and the others, If you've got the cash it's just a choice, but value you for money seems to have me by the b*lls :D

Adamantium
09-10-2007, 09:13
Andy,

let me put it this way.

I have have spent 4k in the past having ecus installed that wuiped the floor with autronic and motec (at the time now its comparable). I could spend that money now if I needed to, but, sub 500/600bhp, there is no way in hell I would put in an aftermarket ecu now knowing what I do, and I know one hundredth of what the mappers know, if that.

The only difficulty is mapping and programming is more convoluted without real time tracing, logging and reflashing on the go but that doesn't affect the way it drives, it just makes it more difficult for the mapper.

and besides, all of the above are being worked on and will be doable to some degree in the future.

Richysevo8
09-10-2007, 10:15
That wouldnt be a Pectel Ecu would it ;)

Adamantium
09-10-2007, 12:26
maybe!

andy i
09-10-2007, 15:13
i'm with you Adam, i'm not going to be producing that power so i'm staying with what i've got :D