Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 20-03-2017, 18:30   #1
jimmyvtec

Car: Evo 5 gsr
The Evo X. Is it really such a bad car?

I've had my Evo X now for roughly 6 months now. I really like the car and can't find fault with it. However today I went with my old man to a reputable tuner to have his GTR serviced. While I was there I thought I would ask for a quote from them to do some work for me. The guy basically turned round and said that he wouldn't want to touch it. I asked why and he seemed to reel off a list of problems and faults with the Xs regarding the Rods , gearbox, MAF sensor amongst some other things I can't remember. To say I felt deflated afterwards would be an understatement. I feel like I almost darent drive the thing now because I'm just waiting for it to explode In a fireball of disappointment after the dressing down I got. Surely they can't be that bad?
jimmyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 18:33   #2
Wellground
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyvtec View Post
I've had my Evo X now for roughly 6 months now. I really like the car and can't find fault with it. However today I went with my old man to a reputable tuner to have his GTR serviced. While I was there I thought I would ask for a quote from them to do some work for me. The guy basically turned round and said that he wouldn't want to touch it. I asked why and he seemed to reel off a list of problems and faults with the Xs regarding the Rods , gearbox, MAF sensor amongst some other things I can't remember. To say I felt deflated afterwards would be an understatement. I feel like I almost darent drive the thing now because I'm just waiting for it to explode In a fireball of disappointment after the dressing down I got. Surely they can't be that bad?
He probably had no idea how to work on it LOL. Go to a tuner who doesn't treat you like that and knows X's.
Andrew1981 (20-03-2017), Evomentalist (20-03-2017), Leo6072 (20-03-2017), MrEvo665 (21-03-2017), nickyd150 (20-03-2017), Realbadman (20-03-2017), Stallion (20-03-2017), strange_days_uk (21-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 18:54   #3
Aidy
Jesus built my car

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
To be fair it does have problems with most of those things, especially the manual. Most cars have things that habitually give issues though, especially at the budget end of the performance market.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 19:14   #4
liffy16

Car: evo6 tme uk no24 evo X 300 sst
My Car
The man's an idiot !! the X is a cracking car
Andrew1981 (20-03-2017), Evomentalist (20-03-2017), MrEvo665 (21-03-2017), Stallion (20-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 19:18   #5
flaco
Senior User

[QUOTE=jimmyvtec;5758943]I've had my Evo X now for roughly 6 months now. I really like the car and can't find fault with it. However today I went with my old man to a reputable tuner to have his GTR serviced. While I was there I thought I would ask for a quote from them to do some work for me. The guy basically turned round and said that he wouldn't want to touch it. I asked why and he seemed to reel off a list of problems and faults with the Xs regarding the Rods , gearbox, MAF sensor amongst some other things I can't remember. To say I felt deflated afterwards would be an understatement. I feel like I almost darent drive the thing now because I'm just waiting for it to explode In a fireball o disappointment after the dressing down I got. Surely they can't be that bad?[/QUOT

Had mine almost 4 years now a 300sst had remap to 350 that was better then had exhaust and remap to just over 370 bhp loads better so much more fun. Iv had no trouble as yet just spent money on normal service things and fun stuff. So go for it mate and enjoy it. I give it some stick as well.
MrEvo665 (21-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 19:46   #6
GibletPH
Senior User

Car: 09 Evo X
I've had mine for nearly 5 months and it's been fine on the whole. Rods are a weakpoint when going for big power and the SST is also the same but it's hardly a ticking time bomb. Granted I went for one with work already done to it but that's because I wanted to let someone elses wallet take the hit

Since you are Yorkshire based I'd be interested in knowing which tuner gave you his "advice".
The Following User Says Thank You to GibletPH For This Useful Post:
MrEvo665 (21-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 19:52   #7
Ross W
Ross Sport

Car: 8.75 @ 163
Send a message via MSN to Ross W
With a few easy upgrades you can have a great all round package.
I recently bough a lovely white one with a damaged engine, fixed that and put Dodson clutch plates in. Really is superb car rest is stock.
MAF sensors seem to be more of an issue with some of the tunes rather than a problem with the part its self in my experience.
Ross W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross W For This Useful Post:
Andrew1981 (20-03-2017), Realbadman (20-03-2017), Stallion (20-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 20:19   #8
PaulMEV0XFQ360
Senior User

My Car
Had my X two years now and I can't fault it bar a track rod end and a cracked exhaust manifold it's been pretty trouble free. My mate owned it for two before me and he only had to refurb AYC pump (common problem)

I am running 430 bhp as well. There is some horror stories online but think if you get one that's been well looked after they aren't any less realiable than any other performance car that falls into the same price bracket.

Inverness
Scotland
PaulMEV0XFQ360 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulMEV0XFQ360 For This Useful Post:
MrEvo665 (21-03-2017), Stallion (20-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 20:27   #9
Mita
Senior User

My Car
Out of interest Ross , did you do the rods when you rebuilt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross W View Post
With a few easy upgrades you can have a great all round package.
I recently bough a lovely white one with a damaged engine, fixed that and put Dodson clutch plates in. Really is superb car rest is stock.
MAF sensors seem to be more of an issue with some of the tunes rather than a problem with the part its self in my experience.
Old 20-03-2017, 20:38   #10
Ross W
Ross Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Out of interest Ross , did you do the rods when you rebuilt ?
There are a few weak points in the stock engine which are all addressed in the rebuild. Having seen lots of these come back over the years when we used to have to send engine core exchanges back to Mitsubishi, certain failure engine mode's formed a trend and we got a good insight.
Rods upgrade is a must. I used the Bridgeway H beams. They are a superb rod for the money, and by far the best "budget" rod on the market IMO.
We normally send people who want this kind of work done over to APT as they are well equipped to do all of the engine, transmission, & diagnostic/tuning work. Actually Gary did the gearbox overhaul on this car for me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross W For This Useful Post:
Andrew1981 (20-03-2017), Mita (20-03-2017), Stallion (20-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 20:41   #11
Mita
Senior User

My Car
Thanks

Good info

You're in the prevention before cure camp then? However in this instiance it's ironically the cure but you get my drift.

The rods on the X are a simpler job too as it's a straight swop no machining.

Nice one

Quote:
There are a few weak points in the stock engine which are all addressed in the rebuild. Having seen lots of these come back over the years when we used to have to send engine core exchanges back to Mitsubishi, certain failure engine mode's formed a trend and we got a good insight.
Rods upgrade is a must. I used the Bridgeway H beams. They are a superb rod for the money, and by far the best "budget" rod on the market IMO.
We normally send people who want this kind of work done over to APT as they are well equipped to do all of the engine, transmission, & diagnostic/tuning work. Actually Gary did the gearbox overhaul on this car for me
Old 20-03-2017, 20:45   #12
Ross W
Ross Sport

Quote:
Thanks

Good info

You're in the prevention before cure camp then? However in this instiance it's ironically the cure but you get my drift.

The rods on the X are a simpler job too as it's a straight swop no machining.

Nice one
Yes rods are a direct swap for the originals.
Pay particular attention to the condition of the pistons especially the crown / top ring land area.
& top ~30mm of the bore is where the block tends to suffer on engines that have seen some action!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross W For This Useful Post:
Mita (20-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 20:46   #13
Mita
Senior User

My Car
Did you replace pistons for OE or forged?
Old 20-03-2017, 20:49   #14
Ross W
Ross Sport

Quote:
Did you replace pistons for OE or forged?
The OE pistons are fine for the level I had in mind for this car and they run really sweet so no need to change them.
There are some tweeks needed though But thats what you pay the professionals for
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross W For This Useful Post:
Mita (20-03-2017), Realbadman (21-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 20:49   #15
Mita
Senior User

My Car
Agreed

Quote:
The OE pistons are fine for the level I had in mind for this car and they run really sweet so no need to change them.
There are some tweeks needed though But thats what you pay the professionals for

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: