Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 08-01-2017, 09:48   #1
BALMMY
Senior User

Car: EVO 6!!
My Car
Red face Evo X SST - warm up.

Happy new year all.

I've had my SST for around 6 months and love it. I drive it every day it's only fuel right! So reason for the thread. I am wondering if any other evo X sst owners notice gear change shift differences when the car is cold and warming up. Since the low temps over the last few weeks around -1, the sst box seems to hesitate (certainly in 3rd) and seems to slip ie the revs rise slightly then drop until around 2500rpm then it shifts after hesitation. I drive the car for around 2 miles from cold until hitting the motorway. Once warm all is nice.

Thanks in advance...
BALMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:38   #2
Kidd
Senior User

My Car
When I pull away from cold it seems to hold on to 1st 2nd and 3rd gear a lot longer before it changes up to the next gear and with regards to the change itself you tend to feel it more than usual but that's not to say it's a horrible gear change at all.This is in normal auto mode and it only lasts for a couple of mins and then I switch to supersport. From what I've read they all seem to feel different from cold.
Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kidd For This Useful Post:
BALMMY (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:09   #3
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
I go straight to s_sport from cold, I find occasionally gear changes can be a bit of a jolt. Assuming I dont floor it cold (I dont) even in S-Sport, the auto gear changes are below 3k revs for a mile or 2, but then (sometimes embarrasingly) it will the drop a gear or 2 and then behave like s-sport

I drive mine in S-Sport at all times, generally using the paddles. I do this as I dont want the slip where possible.

But in answer to your question, the sst is different when cold, less smooth

Stu
stu8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 16:46   #4
Sephiro
Senior User

Car: Evo X SST 330
In my experience the SST box takes a while to get going in the cold and the gear changes aren't as smooth until it warms up.

I believe the TCU deliberately slips the clutches more when the oil is cold to generate heat to get up to operating temperature faster, but you can mitigate this somewhat by putting it into sport or s-sport. The other symptom of the car being cold is that you can't change up a gear at the normal low end rev points and have to take the revs higher before it will change which I believe the ECU does to help the engine and the CAT get up to temp.
Sephiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 16:58   #5
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X 300 SST
My Car
I pretty much agree with all of the comments above. All I would add is that cold temp behaviour with one of the four SSTs that I've owned was just as smooth as when warmed up (in normal full auto mode). But this was the car that had recently had new standard clutchpacks and a thorough internal clean up, plus new fluid, latest software and a re-learn. The other three have all shown slightly different initial cold start traits, but none as good.
Old 08-01-2017, 18:31   #6
stu8
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiro View Post
In my experience the SST box takes a while to get going in the cold and the gear changes aren't as smooth until it warms up.

I believe the TCU deliberately slips the clutches more when the oil is cold to generate heat to get up to operating temperature faster, but you can mitigate this somewhat by putting it into sport or s-sport. The other symptom of the car being cold is that you can't change up a gear at the normal low end rev points and have to take the revs higher before it will change which I believe the ECU does to help the engine and the CAT get up to temp.
even in S-sport I suspect there is additional clutch slip when cold. The bit about not being able to upshift when cold, do you mean paddles or auto, as in s-sport mine upshifts around or below 3k revs for the first few miles, and can paddle change whenever I want still

Stu
Old 08-01-2017, 18:37   #7
stu8
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
I pretty much agree with all of the comments above. All I would add is that cold temp behaviour with one of the four SSTs that I've owned was just as smooth as when warmed up (in normal full auto mode). But this was the car that had recently had new standard clutchpacks and a thorough internal clean up, plus new fluid, latest software and a re-learn. The other three have all shown slightly different initial cold start traits, but none as good.
Mine has new clutches, a re-learn and I assume the latest software, and to be fair, there isnt a massive difference in s-sport when cold, and no noticible difference in 'smoothness' cold in normal and sport

Stu
Old 08-01-2017, 18:48   #8
stu8
Senior User

if the OP doesnt mind???

Other quirks ive noticed:

Indicator doesnt always cancel

to compound the indicator im just the right height to have the dash warning lights (indicators, headlights etc) obscured by the top of the steering wheel

If I select reverse too quickly from drive, or initial start up, it fails to select

No option for a beep on arm or disarm with the alarm

There are more I'll add to it when i remember

Stu
Old 08-01-2017, 19:09   #9
GibletPH
Senior User

Car: 09 Evo X
The sodding reverse beep, does my nut in.
GibletPH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GibletPH For This Useful Post:
OGA11Y (09-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 20:29   #10
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibletPH View Post
The sodding reverse beep, does my nut in.
That's interesting. I had the beep on my 2010 X 330, but don't get it on my current car (2008) even though it apparently has the latest software. Hmm...

Last edited by plip1953; 09-01-2017 at 08:45..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 20:52   #11
BALMMY
Senior User

Car: EVO 6!!
My Car
Wink No beep.

No beep for me unless I try to change gear in manual mode incorrectly.

Other quirk - indicator too quiet
BALMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 21:23   #12
stu8
Senior User

Quote:
That's interesting. I had the beep on my 2010 X 330, but don't get it on my current car (2008) eve though it apparently has the latest software. Hmm...
Sure I read on here the reverse beep was introduced on later software updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALMMY View Post

yes, that adds to the effect of my not cancelling indicator and the top of the steering wheel covering the part of the dast with the indicator warning flash

Does no one else have an issue with the indicator not always cancelling

(also Balmmy, sorry for the o/t, did you get the info you wanted before I strayed )

Stu
Old 08-01-2017, 21:43   #13
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BALMMY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post

Does no one else have an issue with the indicator not always cancelling

Stu
I agree it's very quiet, but seems to cancel about the same on all others cars I've owned.

Things I've picked up on:-

- the audio quality is poor

- the satnav goes too dark when the lights switch on automatically, but it's still daylight.

- the auto lights switch on is normally later than I would like even in the "switch on early" setting

- the seat position is too low
Old 08-01-2017, 21:50   #14
stu8
Senior User

Quote:
I agree it's very quiet, but seems to cancel about the same on all others cars I've owned.

Things I've picked up on:-

- the audio quality is poor

- the satnav goes too dark when the lights switch on automatically, but it's still daylight.

- the auto lights switch on is normally later than I would like even in the "switch on early" setting

- the seat position is too low
Starting to think this O/T was a bad idea, people pointing out other quirks I hadnt yet noticed

No, my indicator misses the cancel completely occasionally, very annoying, im now that guy driving straight ahead with his indicator flashing

Audio - ok for me, but im not use to anything good

Never noticed the sat nav illumination, but may now

My auto lights are on early and come on with the slightest dusk. Even in daylight with the garage door open (me facing out)

Seat position is too low, I find visibility a little poor overall in the 10 compared to the 5

Stu
Old 08-01-2017, 22:08   #15
Sephiro
Senior User

Car: Evo X SST 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
even in S-sport I suspect there is additional clutch slip when cold. The bit about not being able to upshift when cold, do you mean paddles or auto, as in s-sport mine upshifts around or below 3k revs for the first few miles, and can paddle change whenever I want still
Yes I agree that there is still additional slip in s-sport when cold but relative to normal it's greatly reduced. Before I had the gearbox rebuilt with new clutches I always used s-sport due to high levels of clutch slip, but since then I've found that sport mode is a good compromise for daily driving.

The point about changing up through the gears when cold is that it won't let me change up until around 3k revs as you say whereas after a few minutes once it's warmed up you can change up with the revs much lower. I always use the paddles to change gear, but I recall that when I first got the car and drove it in auto normal mode from a cold start it would make you sound like a learner who hasn't worked out how to change gear.

As for other quirks, my indicator cancels fine when turning right but for some reason requires a lot more steering lock when going left to cancel. The fact that the fixed air ducts for the front windscreen point to the left meaning that the glass at the drivers side is the last bit to clear also completely baffles me - this also adds to the fact that I find the blind spot caused by the drivers side front pillar a pain in the backside.

Last edited by Sephiro; 08-01-2017 at 22:11..
Sephiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: