Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 29-05-2011, 20:37   #1
DarwinsChoice

Are lightweight plastic Fuel Tanks illegal ?...

I have searched this forum and i can't find any mention of an aftermarket lightweight fuel tank (perhaps made of GRP or carbon fibre) as a direct replacement to the standard fuel tank in the same position ?

I'm looking for the lightweight options to replace the fuel-tank, prop-shaft and exhaust on my VI

Is it illegal to have a non-steel tank under the car, is that why there are no lighter options to the standard tank position ?

cheers guys

Ren
DarwinsChoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 15:27   #2
coskev3
Senior User

Car: Scotia white Evo V
Cant be illegal,my 309 and 306 pugs have plastic tanks as standard,as do lots of cars these days
coskev3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 15:36   #3
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: 4.6 RS RALLY CAR + 56 plate SHOGUN ELEGANCE
My Car
you can buy an UNDERFLOOR bag tank from ATL ,massively expensive and not that light

personally the steal tank isnt that heavy ,on its own ,i bet youll find NOTHING lighter

RALLY CARS ARE IMPORTANTER
super rover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 15:38   #4
K
gary nevile pure incest

Car: EVO 7 RS S-P-R-I-N-T->
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinsChoice View Post
I have searched this forum and i can't find any mention of an aftermarket lightweight fuel tank (perhaps made of GRP or carbon fibre) as a direct replacement to the standard fuel tank in the same position ?

I'm looking for the lightweight options to replace the fuel-tank, prop-shaft and exhaust on my VI

Is it illegal to have a non-steel tank under the car, is that why there are no lighter options to the standard tank position ?

cheers guys

Ren

What are you trying to achieve?
Old 30-05-2011, 16:13   #5
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

Car: Evo 5 850hp Hillclimb twincharger & Manual Legnum VR4 Type S
Don't fancy using a GRP or carbon fibre fuel tank on any car. Too easy to split and tear open in an impact. Plastic tanks are fitted to a lot of cars these days but i think they have to be approved and tested as part of their type approval.

If it's weight you're trying to remove, use a basic alloy tank in the boot with the swirl pot integral below, cuts out the need to plumb in a swirl pot and pumps, plus you can avoid surge, even with only a few litres in the tank
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 21:06   #6
DarwinsChoice

Ah interesting !!

Well Kieran i'm trying to achieve as much lightening as possible with these heavy Evo's

Sounds like there is nothing which is much lighter to directly replace the standard tank so i'll leave that alone and change some other stuff instead

I may, at a time further down the modded line, change to a alloy tank in boot type set-up, but not yet !

thanx for the input guys, love the work u done to your evo's and pugs coskev
I used to have the legendary 205 1.9gti still miss it to this day !

Ren
DarwinsChoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 21:09   #7
K
gary nevile pure incest

Car: EVO 7 RS S-P-R-I-N-T->
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinsChoice View Post
Ah interesting !!

Well Kieran i'm trying to achieve as much lightening as possible with these heavy Evo's

Sounds like there is nothing which is much lighter to directly replace the standard tank so i'll leave that alone and change some other stuff instead

I may, at a time further down the modded line, change to a alloy tank in boot type set-up, but not yet !

thanx for the input guys, love the work u done to your evo's and pugs coskev
I used to have the legendary 205 1.9gti still miss it to this day !

Ren

you could reduce the size of the tank half it down etc etc takes a bit of fabrication

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: