Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 14-06-2008, 15:49   #1
Leebo
Met-RX

Car: Evoless :( hopefully be back one day (i mess it) :(
My Car
drivers wing mirror :(

looks like my drivers side wing mirror electrics have died! basically afew days ago they both were folding electrically but my drivers side mirror wouldn't adjust then 1 or 2 day later the whole drivers side electrics have died won't fold or adjust mirror but the passenger side is working can't see it being a fuse as surely other wing mirror wouldn't function unless there controlled with seperate fuses

anyone any ideas or is it a case of the motor has given up need a whole new wing mirror.

anyone doing one cheap?
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 17:02   #2
Brian Carroll

Car: EVO VII FQ300
My Car
Wont be a fuse, they're shared, doubt it's the motors as there's 3 and for all of them to fail at once would be unlikely also. I would suspect a wiring fault, maybe the connector block for the drivers mirror. Only way to check really is take the glass off and prod it with a Multimeter see what's going on at that end and work back.
Brian Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 09:55   #3
Leebo
Met-RX

My Car
take the glass out? how do i take glass out of wing mirror?
Old 15-06-2008, 17:50   #4
Leebo
Met-RX

My Car
mmm very strange I took out the switch that controls the folding and electric mirror adjust it appeared like I hadn't put it in right (had this area all pulled out messing with fog light abit go) disconnected it and pluged it back in properly and now its folding and can hear motor but the electric mirror still wont adjust any ideas why this could be?
Old 16-06-2008, 02:36   #5
Brian Carroll

My Car
The glass just unclips - I can't remember precisely tbh on the EVO but basically the mirror part unlips from the motorised mount behind - you can tip it in and out by hand to get a look at the mechanism and do be careful not to break the glass (obviously) but that's the way to go. If the motors are running (for adjustment) but it's not moving it's obviously a problem behind the mirror glass itself. If those motors are not running then it could still be an electrical fault - you did say the adjustment packed up before the folding.
Old 16-06-2008, 19:02   #6
Leebo
Met-RX

My Car
this is doing my head in!!! ok got in car this morning went to retract mirrors and the drivers side has died again??? wouldn't adjust how odd whats going on something electronically is being reet dodgy
Old 16-06-2008, 22:22   #7
Leebo
Met-RX

My Car
anyone any other ideas? or brian you think i should remove glass and have a look at the whats happening behind it?
Old 16-06-2008, 22:54   #8
Brian Carroll

My Car
Really the only way is to trace the problem through. If when you reseated the switch it got it working temporarily then that sort of points to a problem in that area, maybe. Basically all you have is a switch, 3 relays I think it is in the J/B (although I think 2 are in one unit) and the motor assembly in the mirror housing itself and obviously the connectors at each location. The only way I can see of doing it is test it with a multimeter at the switch, the relays and the motors themselves see where you're not getting power. There's no obvious single point of failure (other than a broken wire) I can see from the circuit diagram apart from the switch (it's not a fuse because they're in common with the N/S mirror so that would stop too) - so maybe that's the problem or at least where you should start looking. If you don't have a multimeter you could test with a test lamp or one of those automotive testers with a light in - when you operate the switch do you get 12v on the output of the switch and then trace through to the mirror itself. That's how I'd tackle it anwyway.
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: