Lancer Register Forum banner

Review: K-Sport 6 pots rear and 8 pot front kit

63K views 86 replies 32 participants last post by  war-machine 
#1 · (Edited)
A few people have asked me for feedback on the K-sport brakes I had fitted, so here goes:

Are they worth buying?: Yes

Are they well made?: Yes, they appear very well made. The kits are complete with all parts needed to fit to the car, including braided hoses front and rear, all bolts, and a choice of standard pads or DS2500 (I went for the DS2500). They felt lighter than the OE Brembos (both discs and callipers) but I didn't actually weigh them (I forgot).

Anything unusual: The grooves in the rotors appear to go backwards - they are meant to when fitted correctly. The Orange are nice but apparently on one batch of orange calipers K-sport had some discolour (mine have not) due to wheel wash acid and k-sport recommend the black colour option until they have a new batch.

Good value: Yes. A full set of 8 pot front and 6 pot rear brakes, including 2 piece grooved discs, ready to fit, is around £2000 all in. I got mine from Huss at Performance Parts Online and his price was the best I was offered, with excellent service as always, but quite a few sell these kits.

Easy to fit: Yes - I paid TGM in Fleet to do it for me so it was very easy :) but the instructions are good and its an easy bit of work - but do remember to use new brake fluid (Castrol SRF is the best apparently) and to power bleed them

17" wheels or 18": They do 330mm kits for 17s and 355mm for 18s - I went for the latter.

Bedding in: used gently for a few miles. then 6 off 30% brakes, then cool off, then 6 off 100% brakes from over 100mph, then left for 3 hours to cool off. Did that work? Yes and No - they felt a little dead initially or even as though there was some air in the system, although they worked very well.... but apparently this is normal until they fully bed in. It took another 500 miles before they felt rock solid, with perfect feel which is what they have now.

What are they like now: FANTASTIC :) :) :D

They are very progressive with really good brake feel - no grabbiness, just linear braking. The overall braking ability is hugely better than with the OE Brembos, and as good as the Alcons and AP big brake kits - although I prefer the feel of these K-sports. Pressing really hard on the pedal can lock up the brakes, but you have to be very, very determined to do that - they just give oodles of controlled braking whenever its needed. They work perfectly when they are hot as well as when they are stone cold, AND THEY DON'T SQUEAL OR MAKE ANY NOISE AT ALL :D . The balance front to rear is really good too.

I haven't yet used them on a track, but I expect the fact that with the larger surface area (discs and callipers) and what appears to be better cooling they should dissipate heat better than OE, and I expect them to be excellent.

Are they better or worse than AP or Alcon brakes?: No - just different in my opinion, but far better value. If anyone (when the weather is better) wants to do a comparison test then I'm happy to do one.

All in all I'd mark them at 100%, and would unhesitatingly recommend them.

Steve

See less See more
#12 ·
Just for looks its worth going for the rears! - But considering the rears are £800 and I needed new discs and pads, I thought that was a reasonable price compared to new grooved discs and pads.

The braking with the Brembo rears was OK but the K-sports at the rear have further improved the braking quite considerbly - I was surprised.

Steve

#13 ·
Excellent!
May well go for some of these next year then, I did see them on a stand at santa pod this summer, they looked very well made, was just the cheap price compared to other kits of this nature that put me off. Seems like there are good bargains to be had after all.
Dave. :)

#22 ·
I don't think the AP 362s give any better (or worse) braking having tried them - and I personally prefer the the pedal feel, feedback and both hot and cold road performance of the K-sports, although some people may prefer the APs.

I'd love to do a braking test to compare the outright performance, and then it would be objective rather than subjective, but I am very pleased (as is everyone I know with K-sports, and as is everyone with APs...and almost everyone with Alcons!)

At the price, these are a great buy. Not better, not worse, just different.

Steve

#23 ·
AutoEvo said:
I don't think the AP 362s give any better (or worse) braking having tried them - and I personally prefer the the pedal feel, feedback and both hot and cold road performance of the K-sports, although some people may prefer the APs.

I'd love to do a braking test to compare the outright performance, and then it would be objective rather than subjective, but I am very pleased (as is everyone I know with K-sports, and as is everyone with APs...and almost everyone with Alcons!)

At the price, these are a great buy. Not better, not worse, just different.
agreed :)
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.