Lancer Register Forum banner

Pads for alcon 6pots+365mm?

2K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  l2esk 
#1 ·
For road and some track,as little noise as poosible and good for road use.

#7 · (Edited)
The best brakes are the ones that came with the kit if not mistakes they were Ferodo DS performance, Ross W can get you a set only they are 200 GBP +

At the moment I use XP10, they are very good on the street and excellent on the track yet a bit squeaky not a lot just a bit.

XP8 are more for everyday use but they were more squeaky that xp10.

PF 01 is very good choice for everyday use.

Ferodo 3000 are more track orientated

#12 · (Edited)
Yes I did test a few recently.
The PF01 was very good and very similar to the DS2.11. The DS3000 also worked very well, but was a bit wooden for me, but has more "bite" then the other two in my experience - the XP8 has huge "bite" which I personally like about them, but the other 3 gave huge braking effort with more "feel" in the pedal - i.e the harder you brake you can feel where they begin to lock the wheels and you can therefore modulate and control the braking effort. Where as with the XP8's I can easily lock the wheels at high speeds, it is therefore harder to control IMO - (or I may need to recalibrate my right foot! :eek:)
There is no doubt that the XP8 has a higher friction µ (coefficient) than all the other, but does this make it a better pad choice? If you like huge "bite" and dont mind a bit of noise and lots of dust - then yes its a small price to pay for huge stopping power with minimal effort.

#15 · (Edited)
Strikes me that it's a bit odd to fit massive set of Alcons if all you want from your brakes is average performance. Ok, so I guess you might counter by saying you want good or very good performance but in a balanced kind of way - so decent cold and hot initial bite, powerful and progressive, easy to modulate, especially towards the limits of avasilable grip, AND low dust, no squeal, easy on discs and long lasting. Oh, and cheap to buy in the first place.

So what are the options?

Carbotech
Ferodo
Performance Friction
Project Mu
Pagid
EBC

Each one of these manufacturers offers a range of pad compounds, although I doubt they will have all variants available to fit the Alcons.

Where you go from here is the trickiest bit. Personally I'd rule out EBC and Ferodo (mainly based on what others have to say about them rather than personal experience), Project Mu seem to make some good pads (I've used and particularly like HC+), but appear to be tricky to get hold of (although you might try Russ Paton (Russs on the MLR)) at Performance HQ). Performance Friction offer their .01 pads which quite a few people seem to like, but they now have an .08 compound that sounds quite interesting for predominently road use (ask Charlie@PFC for more info). Pagid have a very good reputation, although not too many Evo owners seem to use them. However, I know as least one person using Pagid pads in big Alcons and I believe these were sourced via Steven Darley (P20SPD on the MLR). And last, but by no means least is Carbotech, and with their pads, whilst you might have to compromise a bit on the dust and tendency to squeal fronts, you will never find yourself short of real stopping power.

Good luck:)

#21 ·
pads

ive just purchased a set of 6pot alcons and they came with the ferodo ds2500.

after putting a post up and looking at this post ive decided that i,m not fitting the ferodo as i,l be dissapointed.

the xp,8,s are the 1,s i realy want to go for but i hate brake squeal and the dust levels are putting me off a bit 2.

so i,m thinking bout the pf 01,s

ive got to get them ordered this week as i want to get the brakes fitted as japfest isit far away and i want the car ready for that.

will i be happy with the pf01,s?

#22 ·
ive just purchased a set of 6pot alcons and they came with the ferodo ds2500.

after putting a post up and looking at this post ive decided that i,m not fitting the ferodo as i,l be dissapointed.

the xp,8,s are the 1,s i realy want to go for but i hate brake squeal and the dust levels are putting me off a bit 2.

so i,m thinking bout the pf 01,s

ive got to get them ordered this week as i want to get the brakes fitted as japfest isit far away and i want the car ready for that.

will i be happy with the pf01,s?
If your heart is really set on Carbotech pads, why not go for XP10s instead of 8s. I don't know why, but they seems less prone to squeal:)

#25 ·
We have just done some testing of different pads on the big Alcon kit with Mintex racing, PF01, DS2500 & 3000 and others and found the PF01 very good from the start, good feel with no fade even after 10 or so very hard laps and deffo no noise like some others ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.