Lancer Register Forum banner

Porsche 911S or turbo???

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Rampant 
#1 ·
Sold the Evo and decided on something sensible, (don't ask but its diesel and 50mpg!) and I'm bored :lol:

I have always wanted a 911, and if I don't do it now I don't think I ever will, so looking at the 997, and heart says go for the turbo, wallet says go for the 911S :mhihi:

Anyone owned either or both, and can give me any comments/feedback, albeit good, bad or ugly :smthumbup

Cheers

#3 ·
Sensible? You're still listing a 450bhp Evo SST :)

Unsure if you want a similar experience but (torque and AWD) that would mean the Turbo with manual gearbox. But sensibly I would choose the S with the tiptronic; it can be a decent racer when needed but would fall into the category for cruising around the countryside as well.

Been lucky enough to ride shotgun in a Turbo once and that thing is absolutely vicious in a flat-out acceleration but wasn't too impressed when cornering hard; it felt less balanced than the Evo X even though they're the same weight.

Tough choice though; over here the insurance for the Turbo is about 40% higher than for the S but unsure how this levels out in your area.

#4 ·
I haven't updated my car, as the X went before Xmas. it was running 490bhp and certainly shifted when I wanted it to, which is why if I bought the 4S, would I always think I should have bought the turbo, as it is much quicker :smthumbup

Thanks for the input though. Hopefully insurance wont be too much different as I'm not 25 any longer ;)

#11 ·
if I bought the 4S, would I always think I should have bought the turbo, as it is much quicker :smthumbup
Think you've just answered your own question :smthumbup

If I was in your position, which unfortunately I'm not, it'd be turbo all the way.
I think the people who've commented with experience of porka's all share the same view.

Life's for living, not for regret :smthumbup

#6 ·
Yes as above, the turbo all day long. Apart from the obvious performance advantage, the Mezger engine doesn't suffer from the problems that the 996/997 na engine does. If you're not sure what these are, a quck search will enlighten you. :)

Oh, and manual transmission all day long.

#16 ·
I have a 911 Turbo Tiptronic in stock at the minute and i absolutely love it, i prefer the manual but both are amazing cars!!

i do have a soft spot for a C4S or even a C2S but i would never plow my own cash into one.

Good luck on your search :)
To completely contradict my previous statement I've just bought into stock and after driving it for a few days i must say love it!

It's obviously not as quick as the Turbo but it makes me smile none the less!

I'll be gutted when it sells :cry:

#17 ·
A friend of mine has has various Porsches and he now has the 14" 911 turbo and he said it's the best he's had, he had the n/a 911 he said that was nice but he missed that turbo kick, 911 turbo is the way.

120k for it tho...

#18 ·
juggler

If I were in your shoes - thinking about a 911, and with a decent budget to spend - I'd be considering a 993 Turbo as well. Or even a late 993 Carrera S.

Older car. Certainly not as sure footed. Would take a lot of learning to drive it well. But if you can be ar sed to get to truly know a car with its own foibles - once learned there can be no more rewarding driving experience.

I've pretty much driven them all and for me the 993 was the one I wish I'd never sold.

On the plus side, a 993 is pretty much guaranteed never to depreciate once bought. It might, however, need a fair amount of TLC during your ownership...

In fairness - 993, 996, 997,,, they're all truly fantastic driver's machines and each with their own character and strengths (and weaknesses). And to borrow a phrase from the Aug edition of evo magazine "He who complains of too much natural understeer on the road is driving badly". (page 29 - comment on the Ferrari California - but applies equally to 911s :) )

Anyway, whatever you choose, hope you enjoy it as much as I do 911s.

Cheerz

Mark H

PS Just had our almost-12-year-old 996 C4S serviced yesterday. Needed a few bits and pieces including front tie arms. £1166. Hell it is worth it, though.

PPS Had a phuckwit in a '14 plate BMW 335d in front of me a few days ago. Coming off a roundabout he slowed right down to slow me down behind him (he could see I had taken the roundabout much better than him, LOL). He then absolutely gunned it demonstrating that his new (SMG?) diesel car is *almost* as fast as my Mrs' Porsche. Don't know whether he expected to pull away... if so he was disappointed, teehee. Anyway, our C4S is almost 12 years old, so what was his point??? Whatever his point was, it appears that a '14 plate deisel saloon is as fast in a straight line as a 911. My counter argument is that he will *NEVER* have as much reward from driving in his deisel saloon as someone who bonds with a 911. Any 911.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.