Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Brakes

Old 21-03-2017, 16:21   #16
heaveho
Senior User

Car: '03 EVO V111
Ok, update........the only way I could fix this was to put the DS2500s back in. Noticeably less going on in terms of stopping power, but also noticeably less possibility of me being committed to an asylum for the insane due to the noise.

Probably soon for sale, one set of barely used XP8s ( maybe 500 miles ) for AP calipers, I doubt I'll do that again. Shame, the actual braking performance with them fitted was superb.
heaveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 16:43   #17
Phil2333
Tarmac Tyre Shredder

Car: Evo 6, Forged 2ltr 8MR engine...405/400
My Car
Mad how some suffer with squeal and some dont.

ive been through literally 15 sets of xp8/xp10 (on different brake kits)..and probably 1 set out of the 15 have been noisy.

The stopping power is unrivaled imo.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...ht=restoration
Phil2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 18:06   #18
thetyrant
Brake Guru!

Car: Supercharged GT86 :) - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaveho View Post
Ok, update........the only way I could fix this was to put the DS2500s back in. Noticeably less going on in terms of stopping power, but also noticeably less possibility of me being committed to an asylum for the insane due to the noise.

Probably soon for sale, one set of barely used XP8s ( maybe 500 miles ) for AP calipers, I doubt I'll do that again. Shame, the actual braking performance with them fitted was superb.
Shame as the judder you had before will be back if you leave those ferodos in and drive it hard if you want to send me the XP8 up I will give them a once over make sure all is ok and skim level again so you can either try again with fresh friction faces or sell them, just let me know.

Ian

Contact me for the best deals on Carbotech High Performance Brake Pads,
MOTUL RBF600 Brake Fluid and also Stainless Hose kits

thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 22:23   #19
heaveho
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrant View Post
Shame as the judder you had before will be back if you leave those ferodos in and drive it hard if you want to send me the XP8 up I will give them a once over make sure all is ok and skim level again so you can either try again with fresh friction faces or sell them, just let me know.

Ian
Thanks Ian, no reflection on you any of this, your customer service has been great from before I bought anything.

I'll send them back if you're interested to see them. In an ideal world I'd be leaving them in, so if you can see a reason for the problem, and a way of eliminating it by looking at the pads, I'm happy to do so. The only possibilities as to the cause left open that I can think of are that the pads when new simply don't have room in the caliper to get knocked back from the discs properly, or the amount of dust build up is so great that it makes the noise when trapped......doesn't seem very likely though from what I've seen when they're apart.

I genuinely don't think the Ferodo pads caused the judder, given what happened during the course of trying to get to the bottom of it, but I'll be finding out soon enough, they'll be getting a rough few days in a couple of weeks, so I'll let you know.

Thanks for all your input.

Last edited by heaveho; 21-03-2017 at 22:28..
Old 22-03-2017, 06:53   #20
thetyrant
Brake Guru!

Car: Supercharged GT86 :) - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
If you can send them up I will take a look, make sure to pack very securely as the weight of pads and the way couriers/posties treat/throw them around can mean they are easily damaged, tape together friction to friction to prevent chipping each other as well.

Ds2500 is well known for judder and yours was a text book case as I remember it, we sent down those part worn XP pads first to clean up discs which they did nicely and then the new XP8 has kept them clean, maybe now discs are cleaner they will be ok and it all depends on the sort of heat you put through them, keep them within temp limits and they will be fine but push to hard and pad deposit judder will show its face again.

Ian

Old 22-03-2017, 08:46   #21
heaveho
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrant View Post
If you can send them up I will take a look, make sure to pack very securely as the weight of pads and the way couriers/posties treat/throw them around can mean they are easily damaged, tape together friction to friction to prevent chipping each other as well.

Ds2500 is well known for judder and yours was a text book case as I remember it, we sent down those part worn XP pads first to clean up discs which they did nicely and then the new XP8 has kept them clean, maybe now discs are cleaner they will be ok and it all depends on the sort of heat you put through them, keep them within temp limits and they will be fine but push to hard and pad deposit judder will show its face again.

Ian
Yeah, that was me, that 1st set of pads you sent me were the fiercest things I've ever tried! I did more full on stops from 100 mph than I could count, and it felt like the rear wheels were off the ground. To be fair to the DS2500s, I'd used them for years without any issue, they just don't have any real bite.

I kept the XP16s in for as long as I felt it should take to help, but the judder was still there afterwards. I got as far as buying new bolts for the APs and was about to strip them and check that there was nothing caught between the mating faces, but in the meantime the car went in for a 4 wheel alignment at a place with a great reputation local to where I then lived.

I know the guy who runs it, we got talking about the brake judder, and he was convinced he could fix it through alignment...........I was looking at him pretty sideways, and didn't have any faith in it, but I was back out in the car half an hour later, and whatever he did made all the difference. I still have no idea why. It still had your old XP16s in it at the time, it was juddering on the way to get aligned, and wasn't when it came out.

I think I've still got the box the XP8s came in, I'll pack them as you suggest, and you can take a look. All the edges are chamfered, including the slots, and I took a bit off the edge of the pad and backing plate when I thought it might be that it was catching the bell. In a way, I hope you find something wrong with them, using the DS2500s after them will take a bit of getting used to!

I'll post up if the judder comes back with the DS2500s, it should make itself apparent pretty quickly given the abuse they'll be getting when I'm away. If you don't mind, I'll postpone sending the XPs back until after the trip, I'll take them with me and swap them over mid-trip if that does happen. The noise is annoying, but so is driving around brake judder!

Last edited by heaveho; 22-03-2017 at 08:53..
Old 22-03-2017, 09:32   #22
thetyrant
Brake Guru!

My Car
No worries let me know how you get on

Cheers
Ian

Old 22-03-2017, 10:34   #23
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X 300 SST
My Car
There's no chance that an alignment change on its own will eliminate a judder, but I can see that it might reduce the intensity if the alignment was significantly out of tolerance. But it will be something else that is the root cause of the judder - eg pad deposits, excessive disc runout/warping, wheel/tyre imbalances, worn suspension bushes etc.

Your squeal experience is extremely odd and it is completely illogical that reversion to the DS2500s would provide the solution. Did you get this squeal when you had the XP16s installed?
Old 22-03-2017, 12:50   #24
heaveho
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
There's no chance that an alignment change on its own will eliminate a judder, but I can see that it might reduce the intensity if the alignment was significantly out of tolerance. But it will be something else that is the root cause of the judder - eg pad deposits, excessive disc runout/warping, wheel/tyre imbalances, worn suspension bushes etc.

Your squeal experience is extremely odd and it is completely illogical that reversion to the DS2500s would provide the solution. Did you get this squeal when you had the XP16s installed?
Hi, if anyone had said to me without my witnessing and experiencing it personally, I'd completely agree that it shouldn't be possible, but that's what happened, and I can't explain it.

The XP16s squealed a bit under braking, but not in normal " off the brakes " driving. I've only ever had that with the XP8s. I think the 8s must be constantly touching something somewhere that I can't see, but I'm buggered if I can see where. If I strip them out and replace them, it takes about 2 miles for the noise to start again, if that helps find a solution?
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: