Lancer Register Forum banner

All New Stock Frame Turbo:RS HPB-IX

80K views 176 replies 60 participants last post by  callum@rosssport 
#1 · (Edited)
We are proud to introduce the latest development from Ross Sport.

Background:
Back in 2012 we were lucky enough to be the first UK company to test the new MHI billet turbo for Evo X. We were astonished with the results and still believe this to be the definitive stock frame upgrade for the Evo X.
Of course there are many more early Evo's than Evo X's and we were inundated with people asking if MHI had plans for a reverse rotation unit to suit Evo 4-9.
Unfortunately this has never come to fruition. So armed with data from the Evo X unit we began speaking to Owen Developments about how we could achieve something similar... The aim was to produce a standard fitment unit for Evo 4-9, which would be a market leader in terms of response, average power band, and spool to peak power ratio. Having tried many large wheels in the standard housing we knew that perfectly matching the potential maximum turbine housing flow was key.
The HPB-IX incorporates all new turbine wheel aero design, which has been key, together with highly efficient HTA compressor wheel.

Other key features:

• Available in 360° HD Journal Bearing (£1745) or OD Ball Bearing Spec (£2245)
  • Highly Efficient Propriatorey Turbine Aero
  • 80mm Ported Compressor Cover
  • Red Anodised HTA Billet Compressor Wheel
  • Conical Compressor wheel nut (Not pictured on prototype below)
  • Turbo Smart Actuator
  • Built and assembled by Owen Developments in the UK

We bring you the Ross Sport HPB-IX Stock frame turbo upgrade by Owen Developments.

Results:
All testing was carried out on Ross Sport's Evo 8MR:
2.0l Forged Engine
JUN 264 Cams
Motec M800 ECU

Testing / ECU tuning carried out by Gary @ APT on his Dyno Dynamics chassis dyno.

Fuel: V-Power that had been in since April, so even better results may be possible with fresh fuel v:handsup:.

Graph 1: HP Figures at various boost levels:

Graph 2: Peak recorded HP & Torque: (Repeated several times within 1bhp)

Graph 3: Peak recorded HP & Boost = 558@2.0bar

Graph 4: Interesting comparison with the 71HTA that was on our car before, at the same boost level that we were running before. You can see that we have given away ~250rpm of spool for a lot more top end power = Win :coolsm:

View from the driving seat:
This turbo is sharp as a needle, ultra responsive & surge free with a top end that really entertains. With a power band like this you cant really ask for much more. :smthumbup

See less See more
#85 ·
Had mine fitted 2 weeks ago, really pleased with it. First time used in anger will be Friday 18th March at Croft. Happy to take people out if they fancy seeing what its like.

#107 ·
not yet in my case, i have been extremely busy as of late and i still need to do a boost leak test which will get done next week and on top of that my battery died and since i am using a Mazda MX-5 (Miata) battery i just ordered a Westco replacement. She'll be ready to rock by next week

#115 ·
We're waiting for a dyno slot for final mapping and power run on an E9 I built, 2ltr, Arrow rods, standard pistons, Kelford 272's with supporting mods, was running a HKS7460GTII, so will have a comparison as the turbo was the only change.

#120 ·
The main difference is the spool up being slower on the JB version.
On a 2 L this can be as much as 4 to 500 rpm.
The ball bearing unit is also well proven long-term being pushed hard .
Having said that we have had zero failures of either type.

If you want to chat through it any more feel free to give us a shout any time :smthumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.