Lancer Register Forum banner

What turbo do i need?

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  keyman 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Looking to upgrade my turbo as i feel mine is starting to feel abit old and would like to get more power gains :)

Do you need to know the specs of my engine? I dont know off the top of my head.. but here is a picture if some of you can work out what it has done :D

I do have a list of stuff thats been done to the engine just not with me so i can post this later today maybe

See less See more
#3 ·
80 series turbo is a good upgrade from the standard 6 turbo mate,especially if you put some mr cams in there too you will see a significant differance in power,you may want to think about having the rods done though if they arnt already as they are the weak point of the engine if you want more power :smthumbup

#5 ·
ok thanks for the advice roughly how much will rods and the turbo cost? its running around 350bhp currently. What are standard clutches like? when i slip mine anywhere it will make a bit of a smell.. other than that the gearbox and clutch both feel rock solid.

Really need to see wot its had done mate to be honest have a read through my post below about the 80 series etc
i will post what its had done once i have the list later and thanks for the help

#9 ·
i have the full list of mods here :)

Ralliart Rally ECU
HKS Racing Induction Kit and Air Filter
HKS Super Drager Exhaust with decat
HKS Iridium Spark Plugs
Polished Stainless Steel radiator

Can anyone suggest the next modifications i should make, i assume fuel pump should be on my christmas list :)

#10 ·
If you are still on the stock rods and piston, go for an 8mr turbo or a 9 80 series turbo.

ETD: I would also change the intake pipe and move the battery and change the stock pipework as this will give the car a much better feel when driving.

Lee
The air intake ? Yeh it looks quite far back. Where would you suggest i move the battery and pipework? Thanks!!

#14 · (Edited)
If it was me.

I'd look into the RA ECU, can that be mapped? Or do you require a standard ECU?

Anyway, as Lee suggested. Get the battery moved to where the filter element is now ( or even the boot ) the get a hard pipe from turbo to filter which places the filter behind the headlight. This will give a more direct , cooler route for the induction. RossW sells some nice looking ones or there is always second hand ones popping up in the sale section.

Regarding turbo, I'd look at second hand MR turbo. Or if your buying new an Evo 9 turbo. Both will see gains over OEM V/VI set up.

Be careful though, as Pringles state. Once you "pop" start you can't stop and power becomes addictive.

Edit: Most traders can sell a fuel pump. Try Ross Sport , Indigo GT & Grant620.

All those traders will be able to get your required bits.

#15 ·
Yes the RA ECU can be mapped (its basically the standard ECU with different maps).

I dont see the point of changing his turbo to airfilter pipe - by the looks of the pictures he has the HKS hard pipe from turbo to filter. And where the filter is at the moment is under the naca duct on the bonnet which delivers the cold air.

The only point of swapping to a 8MR turbo would be if his current turbo is tired. The 8MR turbo doesnt flow any more than the 6 gsr turbo.

#16 ·
And you believe the naca duct provides as much air as the giant hole by the wheel well?

For sub £50.00 it is a worthwhile modification.

Also he has stated his turbo is a little tied. You can pick up a cheaper MR 10.5T turbo second hand then you can a 80 series.

If buying parts new then yes the 80 series is where I'd look but to get the MOST out of it you really do need the rods doing at least and then it goes from £££ to ££££ in a blink of an eye.

#17 ·
Well, its all going through a intercooler, so it would be waste of time considering he already has the HKS hard pipe IMO.

I changed my 6 GSR turbo for an 8MR unit which was much fresher, worthwhile, but doubt you will really get any more power from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.