Lancer Register Forum banner

EVO 8 Fq400 650 bhp

10K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  liffy16 
#1 ·
Hi just wondering what price to advertise my car or is it worth keeping for a future investment

FULLY BUILT 2.2 stroker engine built by trl in 2012 running 650 bhp in cool silver
Fp black turbo
Rota WHEELS
D2 coilovers
Mileage 62000
Owned for last 8 years done 6000 miles in last 8 years sine engine was built in 2012 cars covered 2000 miles

#2 ·
It's difficult to say without seeing the car but you don't see many for sale nowadays. I'd say keep it as an investment if it was immaculate, low mileage and not modified. With anything though, you can't really rely on a car as being an investment.

#4 ·
its well out of any sort of warranty / comeback period anyway, so TRL (in that sense at least) shouldnt be an issue

Id say condition is everything, as with any evo, especially underneath, but as its not standard, that may stop it being an investment as such, though I think it will still be desirable

Stu

#5 · (Edited)
Hi just wondering what price to advertise my car or is it worth keeping for a future investment

FULLY BUILT 2.2 stroker engine built by trl in 2012 running 650 bhp in cool silver
Fp black turbo
Rota WHEELS
D2 coilovers
Mileage 62000
Owned for last 8 years done 6000 miles in last 8 years sine engine was built in 2012 cars covered 2000 miles
Cars never been painted all panels are original.i have dyno graph and receipts over £10,000 spent on engine and turbo car runs mint never missed a beat since I've owned it,cars fully solid from underneath been garage parked since new.its had 2 owners on the v5.

#6 ·
Investment investment investment, cars are for driving :handsup:

However a few things to consider:

Is it called an investment when for a 'purist' it may be considered less desirable than a standard one.

As said TRL warranty even if they were trading wouldn't be useful to the new owner and depending on what/who/how you read TRL have mixed reviews anyway. So not sure that is a pro or con, same with any forged engine I guess (a small risk factor).

I think IF you wanted to maximise investment the car needs to be in OE form that's not saying your modified version of the FQ400 isn't worth much. But it does limit the options in my opinion. As someone looking for a FQ400 'may' be put of by the modifications and someone after a heavily modified VIII may
not want to pay any premium over a FQ300 with similar modifications.

That's just my opinion, still worth a lot of money however it would be hard to put a figure on it due to the above. I wish you the best of luck in whatever route you take.

#7 ·
Agree with this, but just to add, suggesting prices is near impossible without good pics all round, outside, inside, underneath (especially underneath rear). Add to that, the milage, though low for its age, maybe isnt low enough to see it as a future investment

Stu

#8 · (Edited)
I agree with what midnight and stu said above. It would be worth more or have a bigger appeal to more people if it was standard. Me personally i would rather an original fq 400 engine wise than a modified or forged one. Obviously its still worth a lot of money being a rare model so i wouldnt worry either way. Still a very rare car with only 100 ever built, not sure how many remain though. Any pictures mate?

#11 ·
Keep it it'll be worth a fortune. Get hold of the standard parts for it now if you've not got them, while they're cheap. The standard turbo was a ****ter any way so nobody would worry about that if you've got the manifold on it.
My 2p.

Reactions: Mita
#13 ·
One I knew of in my town sold for 10k a couple of months ago. Devastated I missed out on it. It needed plenty of work doing mind but still...

#14 ·
This is one of those difficult to answer threads and all you can do is collect all this advice and info and ultimately do a lot more homework before you price it.
For me personally the FQ400 is the daddy of all Evo's and It would also appeal to me more being modified and useable over a totally standard pampered one. So for me personally if a huge sum of money fell through my door and there was a standard mint FQ400 for sale for say 30k and yours if its as good as it sounds for 30k? I would go for yours all day long as i'm not personally interested in the investment side of things.
I personally think suggestions of 20k for yours are a tad low :handsup: but as I say the FQ400 is the ultimate evo for me so i'm bound to value them higher :smthumbup

#21 ·
Got to be worth the high 20's to early 30's surely. If completely standard then more. There aren't many left I'm sure and hardly ever come up for sale. If red TME's are commanding 40-50k then FQ400 should be worth a premium too.

Reactions: tommymak
#27 ·
I'd prefere a fq400 over a 360 hks everyday of the week. It makes you wounder about that car for sale.

Say it is a nail due to it not selling for years, is it solid underneath? I know it might not have the history but if someone did a documented resto on here etc I could still see it becoming a nice car. I hate to see cars classed as investments cars are for driving but I must admit there's nothing better than seeing a car progress as you tidy it up.

#28 ·
To me this car is all about condition, personally a stroker conversion would add to its appeal, but that may be a deterrent to the purist collector. Ultimately, to get strong (top end of suggested values) money it needs to be in good condition outside, inside and underneath, otherwise id say it will be to the lower end of suggestions on here

Stu

#30 ·
If you enjoy the car keep it all evo's will go up in value tme,fq's especially, different specs appeal to different owners,cannot see any evo's going down in value now.How much wil non pink tme's be worth in five years time as an example?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.