Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 11-01-2017, 20:22   #16
Andy20593
Junior User

My Car
Read your review Ads when deciding , what do you think to the spring rates? That's the only thing that I worried about, as the front is usually harder than rear, like ohlins is 10kg front and 8kg rear I believe? Meister being 7f 8r?
Jerrick spoke about wheel frequency etc but I would have thought that would make the back end seem quite light with softer springs on the front with all the weight and harder springs on the rear?
Andy20593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 22:25   #17
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
stock evo has stiffer springs in the rear... this is due to different motion ratio of rear dampers (in evo 4-9) than the fronts, which, when you calculate the wheel frequences, mean that you need somewhat stiffer springs in the rear for proper balance..
7/8 or 8/9 is a really nice balance for evo 7-9 which will work well with stock rear ARB..

I tried ohlins on 10/8, and on 8/10 (a bit too aggressive for most) and for my car, after a lot of calculation, opted for 8/9 (not ohlins or meister R mind you).. having said that, no one should be afraid of chaging springs a bit after some experience.. it is not expensive and most adjustable shocks have enough adjustment range anyhow..
kikiturbo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
Andy20593 (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 22:35   #18
Andy20593
Junior User

My Car
True, I'll just have to keep adjusting until I feel it's right for me. I trust what the guys at meister say so will give feed back in a couple of months once everything's settled and I've had a good play
Andy20593 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy20593 For This Useful Post:
kikiturbo (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 22:58   #19
MeisterR
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy20593 View Post
True, I'll just have to keep adjusting until I feel it's right for me. I trust what the guys at meister say so will give feed back in a couple of months once everything's settled and I've had a good play
Well, lets just say don't worry... because if MeisterR coilovers isn't doing what you want, you will know exactly who to call.

The thing is you got to look at the springs as well as the damper, because they work together dynamically.

A good case is recently I have been helping a Mini Cooper race car.
They weren't happy with their current suspension, and ask me what can I do.

So I work out the dynamics, and it came back at 8/8 for a race car on semi-slick to achieve the wheel frequency I feel will work.
He say all the fast car last year was on 8/10 in order to help the rear rotate better.

I check the numbers, check it again, and say go with 8/8...
That is what my dynamic model is telling us will work, trust us on it.
If it doesn't work, let me know and we can make changes after the 1st test day.

So off he went, came back and said:
"The rear damper feels much stiffer, overall feels really good, the rear rotate very well, and he still have more adjustment available."

And yes, they will be using MeisterR for 2017.

This is a good case showing how good "compression" force adjustment makes all the difference in the world.
Because dynamically that is how you dial out the understeer.

The previous year rear damper didn't have enough damping force, and so they have to use "heavier" springs to mimmic the lack of damping force.
While behind the seat it feels similar; it function completely different dynamically.

Using harder springs don't change how the tyres are loaded, and cannot change for different surfaces.
There are lots of other problem when you just slap in harder springs also, but lets leave that for another discussion.

The damper actually changes how the loads are applied to the tyres, and therefore directly affect the traction the tyres can generate.
You can also adjust the damping, meaning you can change for different surfaces such as wet surfaces.
This also mean you can adjust the understeer / oversteer bias using the damping.

Anyways... slightly off topic... but basically the 7/8 will be fine.
For the EVO 4 - 9, you want / need a slightly stiffer rear springs.
We have good reason to do what we do, we didn't just pick a number out from the sky.

Jerrick
MeisterR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeisterR For This Useful Post:
Andy20593 (12-01-2017), Eck8 (12-01-2017), evolover21 (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:56   #20
danb87
Senior User

Car: Evo 8 fq300mr 547hp blouch 760xtr
My Car
I went out for a drive in a car with these fitted last night, both as a passenger an a driver. must say the ride is brilliant. very smooth, plus the handling was great.

unfortunately i cant compare to others i.e. ohlins/kw but i can say these are great quality .

will be ordering some in the next few days.

dan
danb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 14:33   #21
Evo6Dano

Car: Icelle Blue Evo 6 GSR - stage 1 mods, polybushed and Ohlin DFVs
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragz View Post
Do ohlins have a uk repair centre?
Anyone know?
Two months after having my ohlins fitted I was advised of excessive play in the front shocks, and that I should have them checked/repaired under warranty.

I have had my ohlins in for repair since 24th October, still don't have the car back on the road, they had to be sent off to Germany for repair, and they came back just after xmas. I don't know if this is a recent issue or batch related, or whether I am just unlucky, as most have had nothing but good experiences.

As you can imagine I am not impressed.
Evo6Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 16:14   #22
Ads9
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ320, Honda Fireblade & Nissan Navara
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy20593 View Post
Read your review Ads when deciding , what do you think to the spring rates? That's the only thing that I worried about, as the front is usually harder than rear, like ohlins is 10kg front and 8kg rear I believe? Meister being 7f 8r?
Jerrick spoke about wheel frequency etc but I would have thought that would make the back end seem quite light with softer springs on the front with all the weight and harder springs on the rear?
I can't really comment as I've not changed the springs- they're as they come from MeisterR. I will say that the fronts don't feel overly soft, but they are compliant which is a good thing on the road IMO. Certainly makes for a nicer drive and I would imagine also improves grip!
Ads9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 17:52   #23
Dooksy

Car: Integra DC5
My Car
I had Ohlins on my IX, loved them.

It's also worth noting Bilstein have a repair centre in the UK so the B16's are worth a look and cheaper than Ohiins.
Dooksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 18:28   #24
VXRCymru
Senior User

Car: Evo X 300 GSR
My Car
What's the thoughts on the KW V3? Did think going for Ohlins but heard there are reliability issues and they can take 3-4 months to fix/service.
Black 800bhp & 657 ftlbs R35 GTR & Blue Evo X FQ400 in the garage
VXRCymru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VXRCymru For This Useful Post:
nickyd150 (02-06-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 18:50   #25
evo vi dan
Senior User

My Car
I had hsd on my car which are shocking! I in the middle of building my time attack car for this season, i didnt know who to use kw bilstein ohlins or meisterr so i sent a email to all 4 companies! Kw ohlins nothing! Jerrick from meister replied fast and we went forward from there! EVEN bilstein a sponsor of time attack wasn't interested even after i was given Aaron number at bilstein just not even a reply! Which i found bad from bilstein!!

I havnt got my coilovers yet but the custom care from jerrick is nothing but amazing cant recommend them enough!!
evo vi dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evo vi dan For This Useful Post:
Andy20593 (13-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 19:35   #26
Brian Rees
Senior User

My Car
Send a message via ICQ to Brian Rees
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo6Dano View Post
Two months after having my ohlins fitted I was advised of excessive play in the front shocks, and that I should have them checked/repaired under warranty.

I have had my ohlins in for repair since 24th October, still don't have the car back on the road, they had to be sent off to Germany for repair, and they came back just after xmas. I don't know if this is a recent issue or batch related, or whether I am just unlucky, as most have had nothing but good experiences.

As you can imagine I am not impressed.
First set of Ohlins [Evo X] had about two years of daily use and were in need of some attention. Looked into getting them serviced by an authorised Ohlins agent and the quoted cost was £1100. Was not prepared to pay this so I purchased a new set and were fitted Sept 2016. Car went for routine service Dec 2016 and was informed that there was excessive lateral movement in the front units. Shocked!

Just completed the warranty forms and awaiting a response from Ohlins. They will probably request for the units to be returned to Germany. Can't have my dd off the road for weeks/months so a set of Meister are on the way.

Since this is a relatively new issue with Ohlins, I suspect that a change of component or material has been the cause of these failures. However, you would expect a premier product from such a well established company to have been tried and tested to destruction before it is released to the market.

Another customer who is not impressed.
Brian Rees is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brian Rees For This Useful Post:
Ads9 (12-01-2017), Andy20593 (13-01-2017), Evo6Dano (12-01-2017), nickyd150 (17-01-2017), RichW (14-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 20:09   #27
ragz
Senior User

Having repair centres abroad is a big no no for me.
ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ragz For This Useful Post:
Andy20593 (13-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 20:16   #28
wolfy
Senior User

My Car
Not quite the point of the thread but I've had the original standard Mitsubishi shocks and eibach springs on from new and they still work great. 15 years. Makes you wonder the point of mega bucks coilovers on a road car.

ЯEPUBLIC OF MANCUИIA
wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 20:21   #29
VXRCymru
Senior User

My Car
Yes heard the ohlins were having issues and repairs is a nightmare.
Old 12-01-2017, 20:23   #30
VXRCymru
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Not quite the point of the thread but I've had the original standard Mitsubishi shocks and eibach springs on from new and they still work great. 15 years. Makes you wonder the point of mega bucks coilovers on a road car.
Must be one of the lucky ones, I have lateral play in a front Bili after 20k miles..
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: