Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Projects & Restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2017, 11:09   #61
infamous pa
Senior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Norwich
Car: Evo 6 tme
My Car
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by war-machine View Post
yes red rooster is 100% spot on about mbx tool...i wished i had bought one....forget using wire wheel brush's..go for the mbx...mine was not really surface rust...your's is quite bad and will take some time to remove...goodluck
I did highly consider an MBX tool but I thought I'd see how well it came off.
I used a sharp chisel, a scraper, a wire wheel cup for a hand grinder and a Dremal and it was ok tbh, it came off in nice long stripped with the chisel.
It's never going to be an easy task unless you grit blast/dry ice or get it dipped but it's all off now so all is good.

I was quite a**l about getting the waxoil and stone chip off as if I could see some then it was coming off lol.
It took longer than I thought but it was looking good before the Rust Bullet went on
infamous pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 19:48   #62
war-machine
Senior User
 
war-machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
What made you brush instead of spray? I'm guessing you could work the paint better in to every crevice? Also what made you do all the seams with sealer instead of just factory positions? I'm curious as I am doing mine, ive read mixed reviews on full seam sealing, worried that some could hold in water instead of hold out!

Nice job though should last a while now!
what have you got with brushing ? its the underside you know...ive done mine like this too
war-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 19:52   #63
war-machine
Senior User
 
war-machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous pa View Post
I did highly consider an MBX tool but I thought I'd see how well it came off.
I used a sharp chisel, a scraper, a wire wheel cup for a hand grinder and a Dremal and it was ok tbh, it came off in nice long stripped with the chisel.
It's never going to be an easy task unless you grit blast/dry ice or get it dipped but it's all off now so all is good.

I was quite a**l about getting the waxoil and stone chip off as if I could see some then it was coming off lol.
It took longer than I thought but it was looking good before the Rust Bullet went on
doing a cracking job there mate
i couldnt go that far as its sooo much work
never want to see a grinding disc or anythink else that remove's rust and crap
war-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 20:01   #64
war-machine
Senior User
 
war-machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous pa View Post
Once the second coat of Rust Bullet was on it was left till the next day and then the seam sealer was done.


Attachment 280321

Attachment 280322

Attachment 280323

Attachment 280324

Attachment 280325

Attachment 280326

That's about all the updates that I have for now I'm planning on fitting the floor pan bungs back in tomorrow and move the masking ready for the stone chip to be sprayed on
i used expoxy 121 primer which is two pack
and expoxy mastic two pack which i odered in white
and all done with a brush and im happy with it
like most things in painting ? getting it prep right
war-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 20:11   #65
Mita
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,299
Sorry?

I know it's the underside? You've lost me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by war-machine View Post
what have you got with brushing ? its the underside you know...ive done mine like this too
Mita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:07   #66
war-machine
Senior User
 
war-machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Sorry?

I know it's the underside? You've lost me?
i thought you liked everything sprayed and looked at the brush with hate and never lust...give into the brush...let go ? we have both have hit the nook and cranny with the brush....very good and does look pro if done right...
Attached Images
 

Last edited by war-machine; 01-07-2017 at 01:19..
war-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to war-machine For This Useful Post:
Mita (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:47   #67
infamous pa
Senior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Norwich
Car: Evo 6 tme
My Car
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by war-machine View Post
i thought you liked everything sprayed and looked at the brush with hate and never lust...give into the brush...let go ? we have both have hit the nook and cranny with the brush....very good and does look pro if done right...
Plus with a brush you don't get a layer of overspray on everything in the garage, unless you make up a temporary tent
infamous pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:13   #68
Mita
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,299
I've always planned to stripe coat , I wasn't having a dig . It was a genuine question

Spraying just won't get in to all the areas like a brush.
Mita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:37   #69
war-machine
Senior User
 
war-machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
I've always planned to stripe coat , I wasn't having a dig . It was a genuine question

Spraying just won't get in to all the areas like a brush.
i forgive you
war-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to war-machine For This Useful Post:
Mita (01-07-2017)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.