Lancer Register Forum banner

Turbo Rebuild Kit

3K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  JTandAT 
#1 ·
Any one recommend any? Do mitsubishi do a kit? Its for a TD05-HRA from an RS 6. Im not willing to pay anyone to rebuild it being as though they are so simple. However I will be having it balanced when rebuilt.

#7 ·
Get a rebuild kit off ebay.

If you can mark the nut, comp wheel and turbine wheel so that they can be lined up exactly when you reassemble, you don't need to get it rebalanced.

Easy job and worth doing. If you change either wheel or can't line the turbo up exactly, you'll need to get it rebalanced.

Cheers,

Simon

#16 ·
Think your over simplyfying this a bit which will no doubt end in failure, would you mark up a head bolt on removal then just turn it to the same position on rebuild, or would you carry out the correct tightening procedure according to the bolt manufacturer and specification?

If you strip something you input so many variables its not deemed appropriate to use the old position as a suitable indicator. All it takes is one item to be 1/1000th of a mm different in size and your entire plan would be out the window!

#21 ·
No issue with that and if you don't want to give away secrets, fine but assuming the following :

- the same rotating components are used,
- the elastic limit of the shaft hasn't been exceeded,
- turbine / shaft, comp wheel and nut are all put back in the same position as when removed,

if the thrust bearing and seals are changed, how will that leave the turbo in a worse state than it was prior to the repair ?

#19 ·
Problem with those youtube vids is that they wouldnt own up if it popped 5 mins later, same as the many iphone repair vids that dont work, the xbox vids that get you a whole 15mins playtime after repair!

Just because you can watch a video of a guy doing it dont mean its done right!

#22 ·
Totally different, the gasket is compressible and should be replaced anyway.

I was referring more to the procedure side of things, why spend countless pennies researching and developing fitting procedures if you could just do it once any copy it evertime after?

Theoretically your right in what your saying but through experience id say it doesnt work like that

The proof is in the pudding i suppose

Let us know how you get on

#26 ·
I was referring more to the procedure side of things, why spend countless pennies researching and developing fitting procedures if you could just do it once any copy it evertime after?

Theoretically your right in what your saying but through experience id say it doesnt work like that

The proof is in the pudding i suppose

Let us know how you get on
This type of fastner technology is fairly mature so I suspect it was more a case of selection than research and development.

It isn't possible to use the mark up technique on first assembly as there's nothing to mark.

Nut / bolt tightening is about applying the correct load by achieving the correct stretch.

I've got no plans to do this any time soon but would have no problem doing it. All the turbos rebuilds I've done so far have involved changing the rotating components so I've had them balanced.

If I was just doing seals or thrust bearing, I'd use this method.

#32 ·
Nah am gonna stand by my word, if you strip a turbo to component level, rebuild with an externally sourced or manufacturer supplied kit. Make it up as you go along or follow manufacturers guidelines you would be a lunatic to not have the balance checked after!

Thats my opinion and im sticking to it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.