Lancer Register Forum banner

Evo 8 fq 300 full strip and rebuild

143K views 498 replies 91 participants last post by  Ralliart_Lancer 
#1 · (Edited)
As many know my 5 blew up and the plan was to sell up and find a black evo 8 but was struggling, settled on a 5 until this came up which was perfect for my needs, many have seen it for sale etc as this is the one that had the cam cover blasted and painted and sand destroyed the engine

I got the car on Sunday and the strip down started, the engine and oil cooler are scrap, over all its quite a clean car, but now its time to make it better than its ever been

Full strip, underside resto, as found a small hole behind side skirt, fit another engine, 9 bumpers and carbon and some nice wheels, all bolts re zinged etc

If people seen the my old black 5 shell then this will be almost the same treatment, good thing with this is I have everything to put straight back on as its a complete car lol

So some pics, not much done but by end of week it will be bare bar glass and doors

Wheels are definitely going up for sale and the mudflaps lol, need to replace bonnet and boot lid due to corrosion but not a problem

See less See more
#106 · (Edited)
Not done much tbh, can't really do a lot until playing is done, I'm struggling to find a loom for an evo 9 so may have to keep it as an 8 :(

But all lines for underside are painted but can't fit them all until one piece is back from powdercoaters lol

Ordered a full superpro bush kit as well at a bargain price, hoping to really crack on soon but it's always a waiting game anyhow some pics

Brand new acd line

The silver parts were lacquered as well and then fitted with a new bolt

Fuel lines were painted gold

Second half of new acd line fitted

Brake pipes half fitted, new clips and stainless bolts

New clips will be used throughout

#109 · (Edited)
Little update, got my stuff from powdercoaterrs, fuel tank is at body shop being painted which should be returned next week

So I managed to get the fuel and brake lines fitted underneath at last and a little bit more done

New clips

Gone for a dark metallic grey for brackets in engine bay

Pipes all fitted with new clips and stainless bolts throughout

Carbon canister fitted, still waiting on last clip for pipe though

More clips for fuel lines

Other colour,mits like a metallic primer colour

First half for ayc bracket new bushes and inserts and stainless bolts, I'll fit pump once it's been tested and sealed

Everything copper greased for future proofing

Front transfer box all cleaned masked and put together for paint

Rear diff all cleaned and put together for paint

Will be ordering all new seals and o rings for diffs as well as new fill and drain plugs and front cover where prop goes into transfer as mine was bent, as soon as my bolts come back from players they will be built up, the plating is what's going to hold me up

My volvo should be up for sale next week as well which should be a good chunk of money to spend on the evo, so may look for an engine and box lol

#114 · (Edited)
Little bit more done

Re fitted the 9 loom as found a car loom now which should be ready for end of the week, got my brake pipes sorted and fitted, had to take cylinder off though as gonna order a nice new bottle, hel carbon clutch line fitted as well, wiring brackets done as well, and fighting with heater boxes as had to buy another due to not being able to find my size heater matrix

So some pics

Fuel tank painted, no finished pics, but here it is in primer Nd I added stone chip like it would have from factory

Resistor packs cleaned and fitted to bracket

Abs pump cleaned

Brackets and pump fitted

All new pipes painted and fitted with new clips

Wiring loom back in

Cleaning and painting arms, though may replace them all for better condition ones

Last clip turned up so all pipes all bolted up now

Hel clutch line fitted, even managed to get it into the clips and route it like the standard one would be

Resistor pack fitted

And my dilemma with heater matrix, mines the wide one and alls I can get is the thin ones

#117 · (Edited)
Time for an update

So with the sale of my volvo I've managed to get some bits ordered over past few weeks

First of all, full evo 9 car loom, had to remove all the bits I didn't need and it also had front rear foglight switch which was either std or after market wiring, either way I had to tidy it up, then test lights, even though I got the full car loom the two side lots are exactly the same on the 8 so just used dash loom as already had engine loom fitted

So some pics of what I've been doing, I'm expecting a busy time on car soon as well

Car loom in and fitted

Fog switch, you can see the circuit board that is used to power the switch, this is what I didn't like just hanging behind the dash

Testing light and foglight, Orange is fog as wanted to make sure I had two revers lights as well

Checked dash light worked

So circuit board holder, take one front fog switch

Chop it up

Then onto the wiring, only two wires one to green/yellow on sill loom from circuit board, other to clock pad, what I didn't like is they directly wired it, so looking at the connectors the wire that's used isn't in the plug, so now it's wired into the dash plug where the sill loom joins so all looms are still separate

How they wired it to sill loom and rear lights

Rear lights, I'm going re wire so it's wired inside the car running through a better route as I have an idea for rear foglight

Next, take a pin and wire out my old evo 8 loom

You can see the plug is missing the wire

Wire fitted

All plugged up and tided up, one wire to the to sill loom connector I fitted, the other to clock pads

Once that was sorted, I re fitted. My doors

New brake bottle, lost roll pin so can't fit it yet lol

#118 · (Edited)
Got some air con clips

Also stuff back from zinc players, some stuff ok some stuff scrap lol

So starter motor first

All greased up

Casings were painted

Magnets fitted

Aircon pipes fitted with new clips, I did paint lower one but cleaned top one

Next diffs lol

Ayc gears installed

Clutch pack being fitted

Casing sealed and fitted

Diff fitted

New seals fitted

Prop flanged fitted

Breathers and brackets bled nipples all fitted after being re zinc plated, also new fill and drain plugs

All finished

Next front transfer box lol

Clutch pack fitted

New seals

Plated bolts

Casing fitted

Diff and pinion fitted

All together

New shaft seals

New prop seal and prop casing as old one was rusty and bent

All fitted

Breather fitted and all finished

I've also ordered rear wheel bearings and wheel sensors from Ross sport, I've bought an evo 9 fq340 engine, which should be here Monday with some other items, Meister r coilovers, ordering a few more bits from dealer as well, as soon as my brackets are back from playing then tank be fitted, got some more rear arms which need bushes taking out and cleaning up, but next couple of weeks the rear end should be finished

#122 ·
Thanks, not done much just sorted boot trims out to fit strutbrace

Waiting on parts, just ordered discs, pads, drop links, roll bar bushes, braided brake and ayc pipes plus few bits from dealer lol

Engine and stuff will be here tomorrow and coil overs today at some point, defintly going to be busy soon, but that's it now car just had its Xmas presents for this year

Goal is to have it rolling end of jan or feb

#124 · (Edited)
Another update

Had my evo 9 engine turn up, with ecu and fromt subframe

Split pin for new brake bottle and all fitted

Set about building the rear hubs

New handbrake cables

Rear shows all fitted. Adjusters greased up inside

Wheel bearings and new bolts

Stupid handbrake clip

All finished

Just got to fit speed sensors

Next, I've always hated how crap the boot light is and doesn't do ****, these were 4 quid off ebay, subtle and discreet and makes a huge difference being drl lights lol

Fitted

Wired up

And tested for brightness, turned all my garage lights out and wow my boot is like daylight

Next is to get ball joints out of rear arms so I can have them blasted and powdercoated

Waiting on couple more things then the building starts

#128 ·
Thanks mate, this one is being finished as I have virtually everything, my black I sold is all built now and almost finished

This one I'm going a bit anal on it but it's a keeper and want it done so it can be used in all weathers but easily cleaned after

Big updates soon though, just got to have my arms powdercoated and find driveshaft clips and the complete rear end can be fitted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.