Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 09-04-2012, 10:53   #1
smartyevo6

Exclamation Evo 6 gearbox/transfer box swap to 6 speed

Last week I was on a track day at spa and my transfer box on my Evo 6 gsr decided to **** itself and spew its insides out at ye top of eau rouge.
I'm looking at buying a new transfer box but my 5th gear synchro isn't the best. so I'm also looking at replacing the box with a 6 speed.
So my question is, I want to do both at the same time. But would I need to buy a transfer box from a 8-9 to suit the 6 speed or does a 4-5-6 transfere box fit on the 6 speed.
Just wondered If somebody could help answer my question and give me any info I need. I already have the slide hammer and kit needed. Also do you have to drop the engine to remove the gear box or transfer box.
Thanks lee.
smartyevo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03   #2
MotoIntrest
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo 4
Assuming you are taking a 6speed out of a 8,9 evo.

You need to keep your 4-6 transfer box set up and this will fit your 6speed just fine.

Engine can stay in to drop transfer and gearbox.

Be warned though it is not a easy swap to out a 6 speed in an earlier car. You will need the cables, top gearbox mount, gear shifter and the reverse light switch off the 6speed. Also your centre consol around the gear stick will need modifying or removing otherwise you can't select all the gears.

Tbh if your doing track work think long and hard about the swap as the 6speed box is not cheap to rebuild or easy to get parts for.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:13   #3
smartyevo6

Ok brilliant thanks for the reply that's all the info I needed so thanks alot, really informative.
I knew the 6 speed wasn't so strong but I didn't know it was such a big job to replace the box. The main reason I wanted it was most the track days I do are abroad and Involve road trips and always thought the 5th gear seemed a Lil short when sat at speeds you do on foreign motorways.
Looks like I'll prob just have my box rebuilt. After what your saying(do you know any good rebuilders in the east midlands area im willing to travel for a good rates place)
Would a rs transfere box from a 4-5-6 fit without much work?
Thanks again for the info mate really appreciated and very helpful.
Right time to find a transfere box
Old 09-04-2012, 11:31   #4
MotoIntrest
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo 4
Find a transfer box out a 5/6 with a LSD in it otherwise you'll feel like your in a front wheel drive car coming out of tight bends on track.

As for traders on here there is a traders map someone made somewhere. As I'm down south I've not used any that far up yet but look up mgautos, trld, cpp etc as they all have good reps on here

Last edited by MotoIntrest; 09-04-2012 at 11:40..
MotoIntrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41   #5
Revolution8
now in silver

Car: 4 door jap saloon, boring? not really.
My Car
I am going to be removing a very good 6 speed soon as I'm changing to 5speed.
My 6 speed will be available with cable reverse switch etc.

It is a 40k mile box, no metal in the oil.
Revolution8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:58   #6
smartyevo6

@Revolution8 thanks for the offer but after the advice iv received I think I'm gonna stick with my 5 spd thanks anyway.

@Motointrest does the standard gsr transfer box not had a LSD in? Iv never really looking into these as I never really had to. Thanks for all the helpful comments aswell

Last edited by smartyevo6; 09-04-2012 at 12:03..
Old 09-04-2012, 12:03   #7
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartyevo6 View Post

@Motointrest does the standard gsr transfer box not had a LSD in? Iv never really looking into these as I never really had to. Thanks for all ye helpful comments aswell

It shouldn't but many do, also, many have been replaced, so you wont really know what you have till you look inside the transfer box. This link might help you see what you have, and what you are buying

clicky

As has been said I would stick with the 5 speed, and for doing work, I would highly recommend Gaz@CPP (link below)

If you do buy a replacement LSD type transfer box, check the 4 diff bolts before you fit it (a search for diff bolts will tell you all you need to know)

Speak to Gaz, he will see you right

Stu

MY PARTS FOR SALE - BRAKE PADS
stu8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 13:32   #8
evo6sprint

I have an LSD transfer casing removed from my 6 rs if your interested in one?
evo6sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: