Lancer Register Forum banner

Lancer EX 2000 GT?

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  ED195KW 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm a new member and I'll say quickly that this site is excellent, best ever!

Now, I need help. I bought myself a Lancer EX2000 turbo about 8 months ago out of the local paper. The guy I bought it off was a young guy and was very vague about the history of the car. He said he bought it from a local rally club a while ago.

Anyway, I live in Australia, and he said that it had been imported back in '82 by the club so they could race it, but it was never raced. It still has Japanese compliance plates on it, but our road rules over here allow it to be registered without being complied(it is older than 16yrs, which is the minimum for uncomplied cars).

I tried to find out some info on the car, but no one in oz could help me, even Mitsubishi! So help me guys, give me a history lesson. Where did my car come from?

Another thing, the guy told me it was a GT, but I have not been able to find any GTs on the internet, which makes me wonder if he was just making that up. It has a GT badge on it, but that could of come from anywhere. Are there Lancer EX2000 GTs?

Please HELP!

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: GT?

Japanese [EX1800turbo intercooler] has two different grades.

GSR = power-steering and air-conditioner,These equip standardly.
4p LSD,slide-sunroof,These equip optionally.

GT = Simple and lightweight interior,Vinyl cloth sheets,less power-steering.There are not even radio and a clock.
quick steering box,4p LSD,air-conditioner,These equip optionally.

GT resembles Evo RS.

Japanese G62B and G63B is almost the same as 4G63 which you know.There is a difference only in a cylinder head.It has the third valve "jet valve." There is it for thin combustion.This valve smaller than the nail of a little finger.
However, this is disliked by many engineers.If boost is raised, it will melt, or it becomes the cause of an oil down.

#7 ·
The difference between EX2000 and EX1800.

Front grill differ.Japanese one,It is written as [MMC]
Rear License plate lamp,2000 is two lamps,1800 is oblong.
1800GSR has side protection mall and decoration of a rear license plate.1800GT has not it.(xbox has a mistake in this.)

Only Japan has GSR and GT.EX2000 was not sold in Japan.(As for EX2000LHD, only a few was imported.)

There is no EX2000GT.

#9 ·
ok, well I haven't been able to check all of these identifying features yet, but I will do so today. Is there a way I can contact mitsubishi Japan and give them the VIN number and they can tell me what it is? I tried mitsubishi Australia and they couldn't do it.

If I got some photos of the car, would you guys be able to help me more? I'll get as many as I can today anyway.

Also, just after I had bought the car, the motor blew up. I had serious detonation from running excessive boost(due to an unexperienced tampering with a aftermarket boost controller). Anyway, after tearing the motor down, I discovered that the bores where too worn to justify a rebuild so I went and bought another block and head.

The motor I bought was a 4G63 out of a starion. The head doesn't have any jet valves, which I'm guessing is preferrable, but I've heard that the newer 4G63 actually had less power. Is this true? I rebuilt this motor using standard parts and left the balancing shafts in.

Also, the Lancer 1800 was intercooled, yes? Well if mine is an 1800, it didn't have an intercooler when I bought it. Maybe it had been removed? Is there anyway I can see that it used to have an intercooler?

Your help is really appreciated, so far you guys are the only source of info that I can find in the WORLD.

Tim.

#10 ·
Here's the photos.

http://groups.msn.com/picturesofyourcars/lancer.msnw?albumlist=2

The compliance plate has E-A175A on it, which means it's a 1800, right? But the license plate has 2 lamps (but they are in the one holder), which the 2000 has, yes?

Anyway, can you guys check out all the photos please and give me a verdict, it would be REALLY appreciated.

Tim.

#11 ·
I understand!!

This is Japanese [less intercooler]LancerEX turbo,'81~'83early made.

I have the same thing as this.
http://www.lancerregister.com/mem-e...aharuseki2.html

ECI system is almost the same as the thing of EX2000(A176A).

The photograph taught that your Lancer is GSR.
It is not GT.
It was judged by the seat cloth and the side mall.

My '82 is GSR too.

I investigated your chassis number from Japanese parts-list.

'82 November made,Regrettably only this was understood.

It is necessary to check automobile inspection documents.

#15 ·
Bumped into a guy once (bout 10 years ago !) who did have a genuine 1800 GSR. He worked for a mitsi dealer in London but couldnt remeber how the car had got over here. Also got an engine once as well and tried boring it out to run some 2.0 litre forged pistons but the cylinder bores were wafer thin so we scrapped it.

See that you were in like a flash at the mention of quicker steering Al !(Lightspeed). Reckon must be the same boxes on the ralliart EX2000 parts catalogue you mailed us... To much tooling up to have three options on the shelf to pick from.

Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.