Lancer Register Forum banner

Team Pro-Tec win Mitsubishi Rally Title

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Twig 
#1 ·
Preston based Pro-Tec Motorsport have clinched the 2008 Mitsubishi Rally championship
The 50th anniversary of the Bulldog Rally based in Oswestry Shropshire, saw Scotland's David Bogie clinch his first major rally title by winning the 2008 Mitsubishi Evolution Rally Championship.

The 21 yr. old Dumfries driver would start the rally heading the championship standings by a narrow margin of six points, so going into this the final round of the series meant that David only had to finish in the top five of the championship registered runners to lift the title.

It certainly wasn't going to be an easy event for David, he had to drive throughout the 65 miles of the days six special stages through the demanding mid Wales forests with a controlled performance and not allow himself to lapse into his usual "default mode" of driving...which of course is to push hard, and be out there battling for a win.

Naturally he is over the moon at securing his first title, but he commented afterwards that it was the worst day of rallying he has ever done! he did not enjoy a single mile of it...and at times when he saw his fellow competitors, who he is usually trading times with, running away from him on stage times he could have been forgiven for thinking "sod the championship"...I'm here to drive a rally car, and the only way I know how is flat out !

Fortunately common sense prevailed, and at the end of the day, David took on board that sometimes you have to drive with your head and not just your right foot, and on the day David did exactly that and did just what he needed to do to secure the title, and brought his Pro-Tec Motorsport GpN Evo9 home in a championship winning position.

A welcome bonus to the Mitsubishi championship is also a hat trick of title wins in the MSA Gravel Rally Championship series.1st junior driver, 1st Production Cup driver, and 1st N4 class driver.

See less See more
#6 ·
Official Press Release from RPM Promotions;

David Bogie crossed the line of this weekend’s Bulldog Rally to finish fifth in the final round of the Mitsubishi Ralliart Evolution Challenge and, in doing so, became the 2008 Champion. Nik Elsmore did all he could to secure the title by being the first Mitsubishi home but, by ending the season on exactly the same points total, Bogie claims the series victory by virtue of scoring more highly on the opening round.

Starting and finishing in Oswestry, with all of the event’s six stages and 65 competitive miles taking place in the north-Wales forests, the Bulldog Rally provided the arena for this year’s Evolution Challenge finale. As well as Bogie and Elsmore, three other drivers were in with a mathematical chance of taking the title, Neil McCance, Daniel Barry and Keith Cronin.

Knowing that he would have to win and for others to falter if he was to succeed, Cronin was on a mission right from the start and went through the first stage a staggering 28 seconds quicker than his closest rival McCance. His pace was such that he also held second place overall! However, the other potential Champions were in hot pursuit, with Elsmore just 0.1 second further down and Barry a slender 1.2 seconds behind him.

But where was Bogie? A rock-hard brake pedal and almost no brakes meant he lost nearly a minute to the leader and most significantly he had dropped to seventh place. However, things went better on the next stage and he passed Tom Naughton and Evo Challenge returnee Jonny Greer to grasp the all-important fifth place.

As cars entered the first service halt in Dolgellau, the time sheets showed Cronin still out in front with Elsmore now 15 seconds behind in second. Barry was third, McCance fourth and then Bogie, who was now able to get his brakes checked by his team.

With a comfortable lead, Cronin set off on SS3 intent on not taking any risks, but even at his slightly reduced pace he was caught out on a deceptive bend two-thirds through the stage, when the car slid straight on, dropped into a ditch and slowly rolled onto its roof. Although only superficial damage was sustained, his Mitsubishi was stuck-fast and his excellent run had come to an end.

Also retiring in the same stage was Tom Naughton who admitted he was struggling to understand the pace notes, his American co-driver’s accent proving to strong on occasions. He too left the road and was unable to continue.

At the second service halt after stage three it was now Elsmore who held the lead by ten seconds from McCance and then Barry, who was just a further two seconds behind. Next came Greer who had passed Bogie, but with Cronin out it didn’t matter, the young Scot admitting he had now backed off to ensure he made it to the finish in fifth place, as he was unlikely to be caught by Johnathan Sparks in sixth who was now nursing his overheating car to the finish.

But the drama wasn’t over and, as he exited stage four, Bogie became aware that his car’s head gasket had started to leak, causing him to drive with one eye on the temperature gauge for the remainder of the event.
Positions at the front of the Evo Challenge field stayed the same for SS4 and SS5, but on the sixth and final stage, a final push by Barry saw him edge ahead of McCance to take second place behind Elsmore, who was a little disappointed not to become champion, but very pleased with his day’s work.

“I did all I could to take the title by winning today, but it depended on David (Bogie) finishing sixth or lower”, said Elsmore. “I’m not too disappointed though, as the event has gone really well and the car ran perfectly. It’s been an excellent season and great to be battling for the title right up to the end, so I’m looking forward to coming back for more next season.”

Crossing the line in fifth place, a delighted and relieved Bogie said: “That was close! At one point I thought I wasn’t going to make it, so as soon as I got into fifth place I just took it steady. It was really difficult to know what speed to drive and I would like to have been up there with the rest battling for position today, but I came here to do a job and I’m delighted to win the Evo Challenge title.”

Bogie will now go on to receive his award, which has recently been announced as a works drive in this year’s rally GB. However, Mitsubishi is currently looking at other options, details of which will be confirmed in the next few weeks.

The Bulldog Rally also saw the conclusion of the Co-drivers Championship, the title going to Martin Brady, who partnered Richard Cathcart earlier in the season before joining Daniel Barry for the final two rounds. The outcome also sees Barry take the PIAA Junior Award for under 25-year old drivers and Elsmore win the Performance Friction Brakes Cup..

The 2008 Mitsubishi Ralliart Evolution Challenge is backed by Mitsubishi Motors UK and Ralliart, with support from its associate sponsors: Pirelli tyres, Speedline Corse wheels, Sparco racewear, Performance Friction Brakes, Sunoco Race Fuels, ADR Motorsport, Walkinshaw Performance and PIAA lights, who sponsor the junior award for under 25 year old drivers.

Mitsubishi Ralliart Evolution Challenge - Round Seven
Results
1 Nik Elsmore (Coleford)/Craig Drew (Bream) 1:02:19.3
2 Daniel Barry (Enniskerry)/Martin Brady (Navan) 1:02:26.9
3 Neil McCance (Comber)/Graham Hopewell (Worcester) 1:02:29.6
4 Jonathan Greer (Carryduff)/Dai Roberts (Camarthen) 1:03:22.7
5 David Bogie (Dumfries)/Kevin Rae (Hawick) 1:04:11.2
6 Jonathan Sparks (Glastonbury)/Chris Davies (Abergavenny) 1:09:34.8
Retirements
SS3 Keith Cronin (Cork)/Greg Shinnors (Limerick) Accident
SS3 Thomas Naughton (Bury)/Alex Kihurani (USA) Accident

Final Championship Positions
Drivers
1 David Bogie 50
2 Nik Elsmore 50
3 Daniel Barry 46
4 Neil McCance 46
5 Richard Cathcart 38
6 Keith Cronin 36
7 Jonathan Sparks 21
8 Miles Johnston 19
9 Jonathan Greer 14
10 David Meredith 11

Co-drivers
1 Martin Brady 56
2 Kevin Rae 51
3 Craig Drew 42
4 Greg Shinnors 32
5 Graham Hopewell 32
6 Mark Bowens 28
7 Chris Davies 21
8 Paul Wakely 20
9 Dai Roberts 19
10 Ian Bevan 14

ENDS

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys,it has been a tough year and all the team are relieved and of course pleased with the outcome.
Unfortunately we lost our other driver Tom Naughton on stage 3 when he went off the road quite quickly sustaining too much damage to continue,it was Tom's first time with American co driver Alex Kihurani so communication was a little difficult and Tom thinks he misheard a note instruction a little late and could not scrub speed off enough before the corner - Alex usually co drivers for Subaru Team USA...(obviously the Subaru's are not as quick as the Evo's and Alex did not realise he needed to deliver the notes as quick as he did !...lol,seriously he did a first class job and we thank him for stepping in at short notice)

For the rest of the year we have a couple of non championship events to do with Tom Naughton,and then it is full on over the winter break to develop a GpN EvoX from a new donor car is due to arrive with us in the next 3 weeks.

Allan Durham
Team Manager
Pro-Tec Motorsport

NB:The Mitsubishi championship which runs within the MSA Gravel championship rounds is televised on Sky Sports usually around a week after the rally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.