Lancer Register Forum banner

Final year uni project

21K views 82 replies 26 participants last post by  G3orgi3B 
#1 · (Edited)
Evo PC Project (Final year uni project)

The aim: to build an in car pc and incorporate full engine data logging, GPS logging, video recording and G-force logging, and then have the above data fully integrated together.
Eventually the data logging can be used on any laptop via plug and play usb connections to the GPS, G-force, cam and engine; just secure your laptop in the car, install the software, plug in the bits and off you go.

So far:

the PC has been built
1.6Ghz dual core intel atom motherboard
2Gb DDR2 Ram
160Gb Seagate hard drive
M2-ATX PSU
VoomPc case

the other parts of the base car pc are arriving or ordered and should all get installed this weekend

carTFT 7" TMR open board display

IP67 rearview colour and night vision cam

keysonic bluetooth keyboard + dongle

USB OBDII cable
Evoscan beta version (working with Hamish @ evoscan on this)

Panasonic slim DVD/RW going in a USB powered external case for plug and play compatability.
Seperate leisure battery
JL amp and speakers (as the headunit is being replaced by the screen I lose that amplification so a seperate amp must be installed, as for the speakers.... the standard mitsi ones are c*** so i thought i might as well replace them at the same time)

bits still to order
3G internet
USB GPS receiver
USB 3-axis accelerometer
USB bulletcam with suction cup mount

will update later as the project progresses

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
the dongle isn't in the picture as it was ordered from another company, but i thought i'd include it anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463374953&pf_rd_i=468294

Very impressed mate, if you need another car to test it in gimme a shout ;)

keep us posted on your progress

Cheers Clay :smthumbup
I might take you up on that, all you'll need to bring is a fully charged laptop; i'll PM with details of the track and date of the tests once i've got everything up and running and working on my system, but it won't be for several months yet.

My initial tests will be at snetterton on the 8th of feb, but final tests will probably be around easter time.

#12 · (Edited)
I was talking to my mate and we were going to knock something up like this last year.

There was something like this on the gadget about 8 months back.

look like you've covered most of features we talked about;

hd video cameras hard wired
wifi built in
touch screen
ect...

Good luck with it, who knows make it well and you could sell it on, as i don't think there is a solution or alternative for sale for Evo's at present.

I would be interested in something like this myself:smthumbup

#13 · (Edited)
I started programming a project in the summer got side tracked though, in C++ and OpenGL, here are some images of the interface, I was going to integrate GPS and inertial sensors to so that you could have a G-meter. I was also working on a seperate program to then visualise the track that you've driven in 3d, changing the colour with range limits

Note the graphing tool shows history, this was using a sine wave to test :)

You could change the display screen from dials, graphs, bar charts and ODB2 info, although the problem I had was the cable I was using as I could only get 10 updates a second, and I never got round to purchasing one that allows better rates.

Sorry for highjacking your thread, but thought it might be of interest

Andy

#17 ·
Here are some photo's from the install (many thanks to in car electronix for their time and effort).

CD player and dials removed

CD player, hands free and Dial cabling removed

Dash ready to receive facia with USB extension and VGA cable wired through

Monitor mounted to the back of the facia and mounting bracket (yes, I do know there are gaps to either side of the monitor but they will eventually be filled)

Facia with monitor fitted back into dash

PC temporarily wired into power and connected to monitor to test PC and monitor

Dash with facia fitted and PC connected

Windows XP being installed

PC with USB powered DVD/RW

XP being installed

Armrest storage USB hub wired and installed

PC cabling run under carpet and under centre console with PC in final location

Second under-dash USB hub wired and installed

more pics to follow.....

#18 ·
Looks smashing mate...I'm looking for a similar setup to this also, thinking of going legal with this as i think it will work to all enthusiasts whether it be an evo or not..could make something of this (unless its already been done and what i just said is pointless) anyway good luck with it buddy keep us posted very interested!

#20 ·
Amplifier in final position

Car interior looking a little bare

PC in final position and secured

Seats back in

Monitor displaying windows desktop altered with an alienware skin

System connected via ethernet cable to my halls LAN and running Facebook

Windows Live instant messaging to my father

Rear view camera

Vibe rear speakers

Drilling the hole for the rear view camera

Hole partially drilled into rear bumper for camera

Camera installed

Camera tested while inside the garage

Camera tested while outside the halls

Camera showing IR illumination

Cigarette lighter adaptor wired straight to the power supply, these were used for many of the powered peripherals (such as the usb hubs which required a 12v to 5v converter)

AV switch on the back of the monitor bridged with an external switch running in parallel

Hole drilled next to intercooler spray button and cables run through

Switch installed

Leisure battery fitted into boot and secured

as above but connected to split charge relay, so this battery now powers the PC

and thats it, the first part of the project done.
Many thanks to in car electronix who have done a fantastic job and to the uni phys dept for their support and help.

#25 ·
To be honest I haven't got a clue, they were an aftermarket mod made by the previous owner

Looks brilliant mate! I looked into doing something similar with my old Civic Type R but never got round to it.

Is the PC set to go into 'shut down' when the ignition is turned off and automatically boots when the ignition is turned on?

When you get the car monitoring software installed will that automatically start once the PC has booted up?

Have you still got a radio function as i couldnt find a decent USB radio antenna when i was trying to acquire parts for my CTR?

Keep the pics coming! :smthumbup
Answer 1: There are several settings that can be configured on the PSU in the PC. The PC automatically boots when the ignition is turned on for longer than 5 seconds. It can be set to instantly shut down windows (and PC) when the ignition is turned off but i've found this is impractical so it's set to shut down the PC 10 mins after the ignition is turned off and to hard power off after 1 hour (incase there are any shutting down problems).

Answer 2: There are two programs that can monitor the car, the first is Centrifuse which can be set to run at start-up; the other is evoscan which is designed more for data logging and track use so its probably not practical to set it to run on start-up.

Answer 3: I haven't got radio, but with 7000+ songs to chose from I really don't need it.;)

#22 ·
Looks brilliant mate! I looked into doing something similar with my old Civic Type R but never got round to it.

Is the PC set to go into 'shut down' when the ignition is turned off and automatically boots when the ignition is turned on?

When you get the car monitoring software installed will that automatically start once the PC has booted up?

Have you still got a radio function as i couldnt find a decent USB radio antenna when i was trying to acquire parts for my CTR?

Keep the pics coming! :smthumbup

#24 · (Edited)
Hey mate looking good i have a car pc in the same case mine is a jetway board with a geode 1750 processor and a gig of ram, But iam awaiting to buy a screen and having seen this i like the idea of open frame screens would be alot easier to mount into the dash

#30 ·
Yes, it can be wired to other things. Look at the last few pictures to see how you could switch between AV inputs.
As for the audio you could run a set of RCA leads from the PS2 to the amplifier. It really wouldn't be too difficult.

But why would you need a full PS2 when you already have a PC with a adapted PS2 controller?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.