Lancer Register Forum banner

Evo VI - steering very light in fast bends

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Claudius 
#1 ·
I originally put lower springs on my Evo VI (a couple of years ago now) to overcome the steering being excessively light in fast bends (70mph+). The car never seemed to take a 'set' and steering always remained light without any 'feel' of the road (the camber was standard at 1 degree, 0mm front tracking, 2mm rear).

The lower springs improved the situation. But now there is front inner tyre wear.

Is there a means of making the steering more 'solid' and heavier in fast bends while keeping the standard suspension?

I am wondering:
a) will increased toe-in reduce tyre wear with the lower springs?
b) will increasing camber improve 'stability' with standard springs?

Your comments and experiences please...
Thanks
MarkM

#2 ·
bigglesthwaite said:
I originally put lower springs on my Evo VI (a couple of years ago now) to overcome the steering being excessively light in fast bends (70mph+). The car never seemed to take a 'set' and steering always remained light without any 'feel' of the road (the camber was standard at 1 degree, 0mm front tracking, 2mm rear).
Hi Mark :)

I'd start with neutral (zero) toe throughout and work from there.

Rear camber influences the stability a lot and many people run too much camber in the rear. What is your rear camber setting?

bigglesthwaite said:
The lower springs improved the situation. But now there is front inner tyre wear.
Did you get the alignment done to the settings you gave after fitting the lowering springs? How many miles have you done on the tyres and how would you descrbe the inner wear relatively to the outer?

bigglesthwaite said:
Is there a means of making the steering more 'solid' and heavier in fast bends while keeping the standard suspension?
Yes: fit a roll cage :D

More seriously, I guess you are looking for a cheaper solution here; have you had the bumpsteer measured?

What are your spring rates?

bigglesthwaite said:
I am wondering:
a) will increased toe-in reduce tyre wear with the lower springs?
Maybe very slightly, but it would most of all worsen the car's behaviour.

bigglesthwaite said:
b) will increasing camber improve 'stability' with standard springs?
Increasing front camber will increase grip in the front in corners, but also reduce braking force and straight line grip. The thing is to find a compromise...

#3 ·
Thank your evo-ness :)
I think I need to get the geometry checked, as you suggest, first before going any further.

I was out today with Thierry (Evo VI Grenoble) (and a group of Subs/Lancias).

He is using standard suspension -- this reminded me why I changed the springs 2 years ago -- the standard set up is great except in fast sweeping bends where the steering is way too light and without feedback from the road. This is really what I want to solve, but keeping the direction incisive in the slower, tigher corners.

The front and rear camber was 1 degree before changing the springs. 0mm toe-in front (total) and 2mm rear.

#4 ·
Well I got the geometry sorted. Hmmm should of thought of that sooner. For some reason I imagined that putting on lower springs wouldn't change things... whoops, big mistake

-4mm (toe-out) on the front. Now set to +1mm and 2 at the back with 1 degree camber all around. The tyres should last a bit longer.

I have heard that the TME shocks are better than the Evo VI. Any experience or comments?

I am not really looking to fork out for an expensive suspension set at the moment and I don't do track days at the moment. I am fairly happy with the standard set up apart the lack of steering feedback in fast corners -- perhaps correct geometry, Eibach springs, and TME shocks are the solution? Know anything about TME springs? -- 25mm shorter than the Evo VI?

#5 ·
TME had different lower front suspension arms and the springs are slightly shorter, about 10 mm I think, if at all. I wouldnt consider TME shocks as being that much of a change.
I sold my TME suspension to "lust4life", maybe check with him what he thinks about it compared to std GSR stuff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.