Lancer Register Forum banner

Planning restrictions re: attached garage to the house - Any info much appreciated

6K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Sider 
#1 ·
Hello all

I am living in a semi detached house and at the moment the house has a detached garage at the end or driveway which is at the left hand side of the house

I've been thinking and would like a garage at the side of the house so its attached to the house. However this is where the queries come in. In order for the garage to be big enough it would need to go right to the boundary of the driveway and at the moment the house is surrounded by a fence. On the boundary of the house is a grass way (about 4 metres in width) which is used by the tractor to get to the field at the back of the house to cut the grass, this is just an empty field and the grass is cut about 4 times a year. On the other side of the grass way are another couple of semi detatched houses.

Subject to putting in an application for building this garage, would there need to be a gap between the side of the garage and the fence which surrounding the house. I really need all the space in order to fit something bigger than a small hatchback in there and need to have the wall built right to the edge of the driveway or boundary.

The other thing is that if it is ok to build a garage wall right at the edge of the boundary of the house. it would need to be at least 8 feet high, however given that the wall garage wall could be right at the boundary, i've heard that you can only build a wall or fence that is 6 ft high.

I feel it may be ok given that there will be a gap between the garage wall and the other house on the left due to the grass way. But on the other hand i will need to take it to the boundary of the house to make a garage sufficient enough in size. Taking the existing garage down would give me more garden room which would be nice and i need to garage to store the car in.

Any help or information or past experiences of doing such an build would be much appreciated :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Get in touch with your local planning department, they are desperate for work. Ask them to come & visit to discuss your proposals, be nice, get to know them. It will be well worth it.

#4 ·
hi mate
When you say planning department do you mean the Council?
Would be nice to know if anybody has had a similar built like that one i want to have just so i can make a case in case of a failed planning permission application.
Thanks
Adnan

#3 ·
you can build right up to the boundry line no problem ,im not sure about the size of the wall tho ,6 ft is legal for a fence and as a normal garage you could get away with it without planning ,any higher tho youll have to get planning ,but if its the side of your house with no restritions cos theres an access you should be OK

#5 ·
Are you in England? as different rules/guidelines in different areas.

Building up to the boundary shouldn't be a problem, and the access at the side should be benificial too you as it will keep a gap between you and the neighbouring property, which is helpful. 8' high should be ok as it's only single storey.
Yes you need the Planning Department of your local council for advice.

#12 ·
Apart from getting the planning sorted you might need to keep mind how you will get access to the back garden after your new attached garage has gone up, bins, garden rubbish etc.

Everything will have to go through the house or garage unless there is another route of access.

As said before, have a walk round your area and see what others have done, that should give a you a reasonable idea about what you can and cannot do and maybe a few ideas as well.

Some councils don't require planning permission for standalone garages under a certain size, whereas they will for a something joined to the house.

Worth checking out yer local councils website, there should be some useful info. that applies to your area.

PFC

#14 ·
As other people have said, you'll need to call your Local Council's Planning Department and see what they can tell you.

The rules all change depending on circumstance such as whether you are in a conservation area etc. I'm in the same boat as you in that I should exchange on my new property today (fingers crossed) and am looking to put a garage up when I move in (probably a self build if anybody can recommend one??). I have friends who work in planning, and I shouldn't get any problems (the neighbours have a garage etc), but there were all sorts of rules and regulations! I don't need to apply to planning permission if the garage doesn't exceed a set size, nor should it protrude past the main building. My new garage will be an inch or two shy of the front of the property, so technically, I 'should' be ok, but as I don't fancy having to tage a garage down again, I'll get them to pop by and have a look :)

#19 ·
Think the highlighted area might be your downfall

steve

Outbuildings »
Planning Permission
Rules governing outbuildings apply to sheds, greenhouses and garages as well as other ancillary garden buildings such as swimming pools, ponds, sauna cabins, kennels, enclosures (including tennis courts) and many other kinds of structure for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse.

Other rules relate to the installation of a satellite dish, the erection of a new dwelling or the erection or provision of fuel storage tanks.

Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

*The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

*Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.