PDA

View Full Version : Racing Harnesses

Thorak
25-01-2001, 21:52
I have just had a set of Willans racing harnesses fitted to use for trackdays.

My question for people in the know is are they street legal?

I would assume so, as it is much stonger than the Mitshi Oem one.

Only problem now is that annoying little red seatbelt sign lights up all the time. [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Heave Ho Six
25-01-2001, 22:18
Yeah of course they are legal as long as they are fitted properly.
As a matter of interest (assuming you have a 4 point harness or greater) where do you fit the shoulder strap anchors? All the recommended fitting diagrams I have seen show the shoulder anchors either horizontally back from the seat or at a minimum of about 45 degrees downwards. This means the rear seats can't be used? Fitting the shoulder anchors vertical down at floor level behind the seat is (quite logically) a big no-no.

Thorak
25-01-2001, 22:27
I have a 4 point harness.
The shoulder straps are anchored to the rear seatbelt bolts. Although I think I will
get them move so they are directly perpendicular to my seat.
It seem to work fine, not sure how else to do it unless you have a roll cage fitted.
Nice belts, nice and snug.

Thorak

Adrian
26-01-2001, 10:27
Have you had to drill a hole for the transmision tunnel side lap belt? If not how is it fitted?
I've got some 3 Harnesses but can't figure out how to attach the inside lap belt without drilling and welding a plate in.

Adrian

TonyC
26-01-2001, 11:26
Can't you just remove the seatbelt buckle connector thingy (forgot name) and screw the eye bolt into that ?

Tonyc

blackevo6
26-01-2001, 11:30
I fitted the Sabelt 4 point yesterday and now my 2 children cannot sit in peace. the back anchor is in the way. I will probably remove them after track days if not too much work. you will need to weld the anchor to the floor.

Thorak
26-01-2001, 14:58
My Harnesses were plumbed in professionally so holes were drilled in the transmission tunnels as welll as the sides of the car. Blanking plates were needed on all points as well as long length eye bolts.

As far as back seat passengers go my belts can be removed just by unclipping them. So you can go back to normal in a matter of minutes.

As far as using the orignal side bolts to anchor. In a 6 they are located on the seat base (left one anyway). My guys felt that it would be safer and stronger to drill side holes.

Thorak

By the way my 3 harnesses were very tight through the holes of the seat. But they give more support as you go sideways. [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >