PDA

View Full Version : no congrats to Tommi ?

M I P
24-01-2001, 08:31
well,

Just thought I would point out that Tommi won the Monte

Surprised this hasn't shown up on here before now considering what we all drive...

cheers

MIP

Stuart
24-01-2001, 09:32
Was Tommi driving the new Evo?From the piccies I saw in Europsport it looked like an Evo6 with a different front bumper.Are they going to use the 7 for rallying?I heard somewhere that the 7 will be just a road car and not a homologation of the rally car.

Mr Mime
24-01-2001, 09:48
A new car will be making a debut in this years WRC. Time and venue unknown.

-Mr Mime

mouton
24-01-2001, 10:49
he will probably get a plate rather than a cup,as the win was handed to him on one !

Martin Stirling
24-01-2001, 11:02
One thing I noticed when watching the Rallye was the differences in some of the Mitsubishi cars. Some of them were driving Carisma GT's and others were driving Lancer Evo's, yet they both look identical.

Can anyone shed any light on this mystery??

MS

Well done Tommi..

TonyC
24-01-2001, 12:41
Marketing reasons.

They are ther same car, just trying to bolster the image of the other cars in the range.

TonyC

Heave Ho Six
24-01-2001, 18:45
You are right, for marketing reasons one of the cars is renamed Carisma GT. It is the 'official' UK version. Lancer virtually everywhere else. This has been happening for at least 5 years that I know of. Richard Burns drove an Evo III renamed a Carisma GT when he was with Mitsubishi/Ralliart. Bit like the Proton Wira of old.....same as Lancer (Evo II or III I forget) different name and even manufacturer!

MIP I suggest you read the other threads as Tommi was congratulated on more than one occansion! He has now won the Monte 3 years in a row. I will also repeat well done to Freddie Loix for 6th position. It is quite a well known fact that Tommi is about the only person capable of driving the Group A Evo quickly due to the difficult foot operated diff bias controls fitted.

I have heard that the new Evo WRC is supposed to make a first appearance in the San Remo Rally (although of course nothing can be confirmed).

Tarik
25-01-2001, 19:53
I don't know if you guys noticed, but the Evo Tommi Makinen was driving is (and always was) different thatn the TM Limited Edition on sale. For those who have not noticed, the front bumper is not the same, more smooth than the commercial car bumpers (which bumper looks like a snow-truck).
Maybe the guys at Mitsubishi's marketing went too fast just to put on sale another version of the car, the improvements not making the rally car better (otherwise, why change it?)

Anyone has any comment about that?

Tarik

Hunty
25-01-2001, 21:53
Tarik,

Yes, I will comment,

The bumper on Tommi's Mak is identical to a TM Editon car. Exept;

1. The number plate mounting plate has been removed.
2. The small round air intake is blocked off.
3. It is painted white.

I have todays Autosport open looking at it and I have just been under mine in the garage![img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle ><!--e3-->

I think the white paint job seems to smooth the lines.

Tarik
25-01-2001, 22:58
Maybe you should take a closer look, and here is what you'll see :
- of course the number plate mounting is gone
- as well the air intake is blocked off
- thanks for pointing that it is painted white, I wouldn't have noticed...
- the lines have been smoothened on the sides of the bumper, so it is not as square jawed as the TMEd car (and it is not the white paint, because the comparison's been made on a friend's white TME), to help the aerodynamics of the rally car.

Perhaps one thing you should consider is that the TME went on sale with that bumper long (long in racing terms) before Tommi Makinen had his (Finland Rally 2000). So again, it is only a marketing thing, as the Makinen's front bumper is not homologated for rallying on Grpe N cars (my friend wants to race his in the French Rally Championship, but he has to change the bumper to a normal Evo VI to do it - not bad, huh?)
I think that's really bad, because the finest thing on the Evo is that you know that every item on the car, every hole, every shape, has a racing purpose - that is until now.
The breed stopped with the Evo VI, not with the 6.5; So sorry TME owners, but yours is not the real thing anymore.

Cheers
Tarik

SHORTY
26-01-2001, 00:10
Great start to the year for Tommi,I suggested to a mate of mine that Tommi would win this years WRc.
As a previous suggestion made last year on the forum, that Tommi had really to sit back a little and give the Scoobs and Pugs a chance ,may of been a reasonable theory.
4 years at the top even against WRC motors and winning .Wait for mitsi WRC to come ,it will **** flames over the rivals,and once again Evo will be king.