PDA

View Full Version : Seriously - What MPG

Mark_Burr
05-01-2001, 21:49
Hi there,

I am yet to purchase an EVO 5 or 6 (waiting to find one).

Seriously, what MPG should I expect to get. My driving is mixed urban and motorway. Most months I can cover 1500-2000 miles.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

CK EVO
05-01-2001, 22:13
Errrrr...no very good..... I have to mention...before you read my experience...

Urban driving ...full tank (50 Liters) ...around 150 miles
Motorway driving...full tank (50 Liters) ...around 200 - 250 miles

I will strongly recommend you to fit a fuel controller...it will help a lot!!!

After fitting the fuel controller :

Urban driving ...full tank (50 Liters) ...around 200 miles
Motorway driving...full tank (50 Liters) ...around 250 - 300 miles

Hope you can find this information useful.
Cheers

Mark_Burr
05-01-2001, 22:20
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a fuel controller. How much is it, who can fit one ?

Any downsides ?

CK EVO
05-01-2001, 22:35
The fuel controller fitted in my Evo is called Apexi Super AFC, bought from UP Auto ( www.upauto.co.uk )and fitted from DP Motorsport( www.dpmotorsport.com )

The SUPER AFC is a vehicle specific fuel computer that modifies the air flow meter signal/ pressure sensor signal and allows the user to either richen or lean the fuel mixture. Adjustment ranges from 50%.
The Super AFC boasts an 8-point adjustable fuel curve with 500 RPM increment setting points.

The Super AFC also allows the user to adjust fuel enrichment according to either LO/HI throttle positions. The AFC also cures the erratic idle problems associated with open atmosphere blow off valves on hot-wire air flow meter equipped vehicles. MONITOR MODE shows analog meter faces, Y graph display, Numerical display, Peak Hold, Replay Mode, 1 point/10 point and ghost map tracing. All correction factors are also displayed in percentages.

Blowdog
06-01-2001, 01:06
Sounds safe. Not.

Best I had was 30mpg
Worst was about 15mpg

Cem

Adrian
06-01-2001, 10:41
I've got a six with a super AFC fitted.

It gives a minor improvement arround town but makes one hell of a difference on motorways. The EVO runs very rich as standard so that when boost occurs there is no detonation. Therefore under light load ie motorway driving the fueling is overly rich. The AFC can be set up to compensate for this. However when on more than say 20% throttle no correction is applied. You can even richen the mixture at full throttle/High rpm if you are running more boost pressure. It's been fitted for three months now and there have been no problems at all. Fitted by DPmotorsport. If you are doing a lot of motorway miles I would strongly recomend that you fit one.

Adrian

Dennis the Meance
06-01-2001, 11:31
If you are thinking about fuel consumption, don't bother looking at Evo models. I can literally see the fuel gauge moving downwards if you happened to be in a gas pedal happy mood. Secondly, the fuel is just too small for any reasonable long journey. A poor fuel consumption together with a small fuel tank.
You can more or less draw your own conclusion.

ptb.
06-01-2001, 12:27
Though I hate to discourage anyone from the wonderful experience of long-term usage of an Evolution, I will here.

If fuel consumption is a serious consideration the car has much going against it. A small tank, massive drive train, poor aerodynamics and inherently poor fuel efficiency to name the majors.

You need to buy this car because it represents the pinnacle of a class of motoring performance.

Silver VI
06-01-2001, 13:42
PTB
I reckon that sums it up perfectly [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/tonguewink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle ><!--e5-->

Rgds Kevin A

Hornet
06-01-2001, 13:54
On a another matter but still fuel related are all the fuel gauges on E6's crap? (and I assume E4 and amp; 5)
I can drive along and the fuel gauge drop to quarter full, stop, restart a bit later and its half full?
I don't rely on the fuel gauge anyway as I fill up by looking at the mileage I have covered but it is a bit annoying, anyone else experience this?

Peely
06-01-2001, 14:15
Hornet,
I think you'll find that if you go round a left hand bend fairly hard, your fuel gauge will rise (or is it right hand bend?) So I presume that the sensor must be in one side of the tank.
I have an Ecotek device fitted and the best I've had up to now is 20.3 mpg. Mostly urban driving.
They just love me at my local station [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle ><!--e1-->

Hornet
06-01-2001, 15:05
I know the gauge surges quite badly (left/right and have you tried going up an incline!) but I was talking generally about driving on level ground. 1/4 full when you stop come back to the car a bit later and its 1/2 full!

Perhaps its the magical Fuel Fairy paying me a visit! [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle ><!--e13-->

Anyway sounds like a common problem then.

I have got my own pump at my local garage complete with carpeted area to park my Evo on!! [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle ><!--e13-->

trog
07-01-2001, 10:36
In my Evo 1 I get around 35 - 37mpg gentle motorway, 27 - 29mpg A/B road thrashing, 24 in town and 6 - 8 mpg !!! on track days.

RS Pilot
07-01-2001, 10:55
Trog,

You'd better look under the bonnet of your EVO if that's the fuel returns you are getting - I think someone's sneaked in a 1.6 whilst you weren't looking [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle ><!--e3-->

I also get good fuel returns from my EVO 1 - similar urban to you, similar A-B type roads (not thrashing) but I have never seen a return so far into the 30's. I've seen over 30 on the motorway but nothing like 37. Are you going to tell us the secret then? [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle ><!--e1-->

Silver VI
07-01-2001, 10:58
Last trackday 71 miles on a full tank, and that was with the fuel light on and fuel surge, Pop Bang Pop Bang [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle ><!--e2-->

Kevin A

dean r
07-01-2001, 15:57
I have now had my E6 for a week and I am genuinely astonished by it's appetite for fuel. 17 mpg on a run from home over the Snake pass then the Cat and amp; Fiddle with a fair bit of motoway thrown in. I had a twin turbo Supra before chipped to around 375 bhp and I was getting 25|PLS|mpg regularly. I can only assume the fuel metering is not very clever and continues to ram fuel in when not needed on light load.

Top car though!

SteveC
07-01-2001, 19:05
Hornet,

I started a thread on fuel guages as mine was making me paranoid. They are crap and a bit disconcerting the way they are non-linear: slow at first, then drop like a stone in the middle then slow down again. Also there seems to be a fair bit of fuel in when the warning light comes on - I've never put more than 35 in the tank.

Steve.

tarik
08-01-2001, 11:23
Hi,

just to answer the gauge problem : the fuel tank is located very low at the back of the car (better weight distribution), but has to let the transmission axle go through, so you'll notive if you look under the car that the fuel tank is actually divided in 2 small tanks on each part of the transmission axle. The engine pumps the fuel from the right one, and then the left one compensates. I guess the gauge measures what is on the right one. So it is normal that the needle drops to 1/4 when the right tank empties (usually when a little above half the max fuel capacity), and when the left tank compensates (slowly), the level rises to 1/2 (which is the true level). So the fuel needle always goes from top to 3/4 slowly (the fuel level decreases uniformly / no separation yet between the 2 tanks), then very abruptly from 3/4 to 1/4 (only from the right tank), then goes up again to 1/2 (the left tank compensating), then goes down very unevenly)

Hope this helps

Tarik

PS: at the Nurburgring, I recorded 130 km with 50 liters...

White II
08-01-2001, 12:13
Got my II at the weekend. Good fun though it feels delicate at present. Not used to the power steering yet - It feels very light.
No fuel figures to mention but EVERY time I have floored it, even just for a second or two, I can see the fuel guage visibly move downwards. Scary!
So far done around 120 motorway miles (not slowly) and 30 town miles. Used 3/4 tank of fuel.

SiN-6
09-01-2001, 05:06
*cough cough*
if u looking for fuel consumsion dont bother to get an Evo..
i can get to as low as 9 mpg..(98 octane super unlead)

markja
09-01-2001, 16:03
Trackdays 6 - 7 MPG this was an improvement from 5 - 6 when I changed to the Ralliart Sports ECU
Everyday use 17 - 20
Motorway only 22 - 24

Best ever (When running new engine in and not going over 3000 rpm or going on boost) 32 MPG

If you are concerned about fuel consumption then the EVO6 is not for you, you probably wont get much sleep.

Markja