PDA

View Full Version : Running in advice

GCollier
18-01-2001, 10:43
I'm due to pick up my Evo 6 GSR on Saturday, assuming no last-minute hold ups. I did a search for running in advice on this BBS, but didn't find any. What sort of rev-limit should I impose on myself? Is the running in period 1000 miles (first oil change), or should I take things easy for longer?

I'm aware of general rules I should follow - e.g. don't sit at a constant speed, change gear regularly, don't subject engine to excessive load or let it labour in a high gear, go easy on the breaks to avoid glazing the pads etc.

So can anyone tell me anything in particular I need to be aware of for the Evo? I intend to cherish the car, have no plans to ever sell it (unlike other cars, whose replacement is often planned BEFORE I get them [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle ><!--e1--> ), and generally want to keep it in A1 condition all round.

Oh, and with regard to oil changes - should I be looking to change the oil more frequently than 4500miles/6 months?

TIA for any replies,

Gary.

SteveC
18-01-2001, 12:28
Gary,

I recall from a mag review (possibly Evo mags white RSX?) that the recommended limit was 3,500rpm with the occasional foray to 4,000. This will get you just over the national speed limit and you can enjoy a few hundred rpm of the rev range on boost!

On the oil front I and quite a few people on this board change oil more frequently than 4,500 mls - I am getting one change done in between the normal service intervals, ie every 2,000 to 2,500. If you cane it or do track days this is probably essential.

Steve.

Bloodaxe
18-01-2001, 13:36
See thread New Evo VI further down this page...

Good luck!

Evoboy
18-01-2001, 18:02
Gary,
All the above is the way 2 go , oil changes at 4500 miles are totally adequate , in fact this is on the very cautious side , the only exception is if u do numerous track days change it more often. The most critical part of running in is the first 200 ish miles. Try to do this in 50 mile or so parts and let the engine cool as much as possible between each part.