PDA

View Full Version : Better way of fitting piping??

Michael K
19-06-2001, 08:25
Does anyone know a trick to fix the PVC piping to the metal pipes on HKS intercooler piping? Yesterday the plastic hose popped off the curvy metal pipe going into the intercooler at 1.2 bar and 240 km/h on my car on the autobahn. It looks like this could happen every now and then when driving on high boost for long periods of time. Is there a trick to make the hose stick better or something?

Michael

Sean
19-06-2001, 08:50
Michael
I used to use two hose clips one on the ally pipe and one on the pvc one then link them together with lock wire, it dosn't look great but it works

Sean

Michael K
19-06-2001, 08:59
I'll try that, cheers.

Evoboy
19-06-2001, 09:26
By PVC I assume u mean the flexible silicone or factory hoses?
This happened to me when I installed the HKS alloy boost pipes , basically u need to tighten the hose clips very tight and ensure that the clip is located up against the swage bulge on the metal pipe thus creating a mechanical lock for the hose.

I do hope that yr flexible hose parts are not PVC!

Michael K
19-06-2001, 12:10
No, I wear PVC [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle > The clip was fitted correctly the way you described and I didn't have any problems when I lived in England, but Autobahn driving at high boost for long periods of time is more stressful, as I know from when my father used to have a series of Saab 9000s and the hoses kept popping off with most of them. I don't think I can tighten the clip any more as I've used a wrench to tighten it and I'm afraid to break it,

Claudius
19-06-2001, 16:15
Weld it! [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle ><!--e13-->

Evoboy
21-06-2001, 09:12
Change yr boost hoses to rubber , preferably silicone.
PVC softens considerably at much above 40-50 deg c , so the retention force applied by the clip just dissapears and the hose will blow off.
If u have any probs obtaining hose just email me with internal diameter and I will send u some. Also I have some heavy duty stainless clamps which are much wider than the standard clips.