PDA

View Full Version : My First Sprint - Snetterton 2011

Gwigga
30-09-2011, 15:11
Well where do I start...

I bought the car back in 2010 with the main purpose of track or sprint or generally just having a great performance car, but as your all aware all the wores of owning one comes usually with some quite largew bills so wasn't ready for any track work in 2010.

2011 came along and nearly went without me even seeing a track due to personal circumstances many of you will know about via prevoius threads.

Sneterton was coming up and I thought **** it im gonna do this if it sends me bankrupt! August payday came along I get paid at the very end of the month and with Snetterton being a week before payday I had to start early on sorting the car and spending a month almost skint.

So Engine Gearbox Trtansfer Box and Diff Oil bought along with new BlueStuff NDX's I proceeded to get these fitted in the week leading up to the sprint, got the geo done and borrowed some wheels and bought some part used tyres from the guys at AutoTorque, also booking the hotel room for me and the misses to stay overnight in as we were doing modified live the next day as well.

Finally the Friday before the sprint arrived and me and the misses set off... 4 miles on the A34 and we hit a 7 mile tail back DOH! so what should of been a 3hr journey turned into a 5 hr journey! We finally arrived into Premier Inn in Norwich at around 9pm Friday night and promtly went straight to bed after of course unlooading the car... You do get some funny looks not only taking a bucket full of wash equipment into a hotel room but also a trolley jack and a full set of wheels too!!!

Then the morning came.. up at 6 to reload the car and make are way down to the travck. Arrived about 730 in the end.. I like to be early.. to find a few guys already there. So we proceed to unload the car again! and get the misses to start changing the wheels over... yes guys the misses likes getting her hands dirty!

Then we went and signed on, then to get the car sound tested... well that was an experience.. took the car down and the guy wanted it held at 6800 wtf 5000 came along and the launch control started kicking in so that was halted ... ****! I ran off to see if I could find Lee hoping to god that he had his laptop and asked him if he could remove the launch control which he so kindly did.

Back down to sound testing and then asked to rev and hold at 5800 when it got to 5000 I was given the thumbs up thank **** for that!

Finally driver briefing took place and we could do our sighting lap. Taht been and gone and it was onto the practice runs.. I was now ****ting myself as this was not only my first time on track and my first time sprinting!

First Run 1.03.. I wasn't aiming for anything amazing as I was getting used to not only a new set of pads whihc are far better than the standard K-Sport ones I had before but also a set if R888's and both were amazing.

SO we only managed to get 3 practice runs done before lunch and 1 after then it was onto the competitive runs. We managed to fit in competitive runs in total and finally managed to get my time down to 54secs by then end of the day!

During all the runs had a good wander about and out some names to faces.. Mainly Peeler, MotoInterest, UziBat and GazsEvo

So all in all a very good day out and also not that expensive really if you try.

All the Oils filter and plugs were about 150quid

65 entry as I did the 50/50
100 for some used R888
borrowed the wheels trolley jac and torque wrench

So it doesn't really need to cost very much and any of you thinking of taking part shoud it really is a very well organised event and everyone there not only staff but competitors are very helpful and friendly

Rob

plip1953
30-09-2011, 15:26
Nice write-up - well done for making all that effort:smthumbup

Tom's
30-09-2011, 15:50
Ah that was you that had your mrs changing wheels. Good work lol! My mrs just drives ours and pays for half.

Althugh she did help a bit on sat night to change the rad bless her.

Glad you had fun mate.

Gwigga
30-09-2011, 19:52
Nice write-up - well done for making all that effort:smthumbup

just thought i would give a first timers view for those thinking or not to sure about it all

Ah that was you that had your mrs changing wheels. Good work lol! My mrs just drives ours and pays for half.

Althugh she did help a bit on sat night to change the rad bless her.

Glad you had fun mate.

yes fantatsic fun

take it it was ur 4 with all the steam?

yes a few guys in think were a bit jealous! :lol:

Tom's
30-09-2011, 21:39
oh yes lol. That's what you get for letting your mrs drive.....joke.

If you check out our build thread you can see the full extent of the damage lol.

Hopefully I'll see you about next year, maybe your mrs can tech me a thing or 2 about changing wheels, as I hope we have some spares with semi slicks on by then as we really need them!

If yours wants to go out for a girly ride I'm sure Vicki wouldnt mind.

MotoIntrest
30-09-2011, 22:50
Was good to meet you Rob, enjoyed chatting to you about your times. nothing like your first sprint is there? did you ever get any money out of Gaz? :lol:

Rich

ps. I think you owe your pit crew a driving lesson for the wheel swapping ;):D

Uzibat
01-10-2011, 01:07
Ooooooh, 100 for a used set of 888s? Interesting! Where'd you get them? On here? A set of semis are definitely next on my purchase list! If the car will just stops breaking bits that are already on it for long enough for me to afford some... :mhihi:

Anyway, was really nice to meet you Rob (and your lovely other half). Glad you had a great day out there as well. Hope to see you at another one next year. :smthumbup

KenX
01-10-2011, 06:20
Well done mate for writing this positive review on the MLRSS, it's a pleasant change and should encourage any newcomers reading this:smthumbup

GAZ5EVO
01-10-2011, 14:30
money................whats that...........lol

you did really well and wanted you to get 55 secs at least but you did better well done.

hopefully see you next year :)

Ev04Vicki
01-10-2011, 21:16

Ev04Vicki
01-10-2011, 21:17

If you check out our build thread you can see the full extent of the damage lol.

Hopefully I'll see you about next year, maybe your mrs can tech me a thing or 2 about changing wheels, as I hope we have some spares with semi slicks on by then as we really need them!

Your a S*** Bag Thomas!!!

Tom's
01-10-2011, 21:41
I said I was joking!

wes VIII
01-10-2011, 21:51
Glad you had a positive experience and enjoyed it which is the main thing. Would defo recommend any non sprinter to give it a try, it really is laugh :smthumbup

Gwigga
03-10-2011, 09:03

LOL you'll get in trouble

Yeah she did the oils the week before as well... keeps her quiet:angel:

Was good to meet you Rob, enjoyed chatting to you about your times. nothing like your first sprint is there? did you ever get any money out of Gaz? :lol:

Rich

ps. I think you owe your pit crew a driving lesson for the wheel swapping ;):D

You to matey. No there isn't after my heart rate went down after the first couple of runs the day was a breeze... No he wasn't having any of it

Ooooooh, 100 for a used set of 888s? Interesting! Where'd you get them? On here? A set of semis are definitely next on my purchase list! If the car will just stops breaking bits that are already on it for long enough for me to afford some... :mhihi:

Anyway, was really nice to meet you Rob (and your lovely other half). Glad you had a great day out there as well. Hope to see you at another one next year. :smthumbup

The guys at the garage I use sorted them for me, they've been trying to get me on track all year!

You to... oh I'll be at as many as I can next year, got soe plans for le motor

Well done mate for writing this positive review on the MLRSS, it's a pleasant change and should encourage any newcomers reading this:smthumbup

After all the threads about it poping up recently I thought that I'd try and put apositive spin on things from a first timers perspective, as you know and all the others on this thread it really is an ace day out.

money................whats that...........lol

you did really well and wanted you to get 55 secs at least but you did better well done.

hopefully see you next year :)

Yep squeezed a 54. summit outa the old girl, just could get used to having so much grip from those tyres

Your a S*** Bag Thomas!!!

He He said he'd get in trouble

Glad you had a positive experience and enjoyed it which is the main thing. Would defo recommend any non sprinter to give it a try, it really is laugh :smthumbup

Was an amazing day, was shattered after it though but all well worth it

GAZ5EVO
04-10-2011, 20:15
thats the one thing that shocked me is the amount of grip the evo has even when you think you are gonna understeer off or on the limit, it just sorts it out and you go round lol

when corky does it i think the computer craps itself and goes to sleep hence why he spins lol

suzy is a awesome driver and hope once things settle down in my life and maybe a different evo then ill follow her advise and do the cat driver training and a few novice track days.

Dicky
11-10-2011, 17:18
Excellent write up :smthumbup Its such a great event the MLRSS see you next year then :smthumbup

GUM EVO
11-10-2011, 17:40
Excellent write up :smthumbup Its such a great event the MLRSS see you next year then :smthumbup

+1:smthumbup

Gwigga
12-10-2011, 08:35

+1:smthumbup

Thanks guys, just thought I'd put a first timers view... mainly to try and encourage those who have thought about doing it.. and how it can be done for little pennies

I will be back:D

Dicky
12-10-2011, 09:01
Thanks guys, just thought I'd put a first timers view... mainly to try and encourage those who have thought about doing it.. and how it can be done for little pennies

Totally agree this is exceptional well organised and is very cost effective for a days competitive driving. Its easy on the Tyres/Fuel/Wear on the car compared to any track day for example. :smthumbup

GAZ5EVO
12-10-2011, 13:14
gwigga texted you and got no reply booooooo lol

Wish more people came along to watch and get a feel of what happens. I jokingly said to a few guys on britishmods " where else are you gonna see any form of motorsport and huge powered cars for free and possible passenger laps"

I think all of us newbies did very well for our first go and its alot easier to take part than people think.

Gwigga
12-10-2011, 13:23
gwigga texted you and got no reply booooooo lol

Wish more people came along to watch and get a feel of what happens. I jokingly said to a few guys on britishmods " where else are you gonna see any form of motorsport and huge powered cars for free and possible passenger laps"

I think all of us newbies did very well for our first go and its alot easier to take part than people think.

ooops I have 2 numbers I'll pm you my other one, I pick and choose when I use either , speak to any of my mates about me and phones:handsup:

WOuld of been nice if they had, bit too far for any of my mates to pop up for the day really, more will come over to stone and coombe

I had a whale of a time, and exactly that it is easy to take part:D

Uzibat
12-10-2011, 13:37

Totally agreed on this. As Snetterton was my first sprint as well, my total costs were...

Tank and a half of petrol (getting there and back AND doing the sprint) - 75
Entry - 65
Insurance - 130 (optional of course but I tend to always play it safe)

Admittedly I was lucky enough to be lent a set of decent tyres on the day (I'm gonna get in here with a pre-emptive STFU to both MotoIntrest and Gaz :D), but general running costs like servicing, brakes and tyres will no doubt be much lower than doing trackdays. Comparing total costs versus how long it took for the grin on my face to disappear, it was well worth it and one of the cheapest days on track I've had in ages! :smthumbup HIGHLY recommended to anyone who's not given it a try so far! The very fact that I'm doing Teeside is testament to how much I enjoyed myself at Snetterton. :coolsm:

MotoIntrest
12-10-2011, 13:48
Comparing total costs versus how long it took for the grin on my face to disappear, it was well worth it.

The very fact that I'm doing Teeside is testament to how much I enjoyed myself at Snetterton. :coolsm:

A Smiling gnome with a hero ;) (couldn't let you down :mhihi:)

you were like a kid in a sweet shop, you'll love teeside even more :smthumbup.

GAZ5EVO
12-10-2011, 14:38
lol your hero didnt let you down suzy :)

rich likes grass cutting shame i didnt get it on film.

If your car is maintained it costs you 65-130 depending if your doing a 50/50, fuel cost anything from 65 upwards, and if you take track day insurance thats it, so say 300 per event maybe less but its worth it. If i still have my car then im gonna try and do at least one event next year but depends if my car sells or not or not going to hospital with my daughter.