PDA

View Full Version : MLRSS into 2012

Pages : [1] 2

chaz83
09-09-2011, 20:57
I think with the attandance figures this year, the MLRSS is under serious threat for next year. And im sure i'm not the only one who thinks this is a terrible shame!! Its a cracking series, and i think it would be sorely missed if it came to the point where it had to be cancelled

In this thread, i think we as the members, should voice any ideas on how the series can be prolonged :smthumbup

K
09-09-2011, 21:02
Different circuits also possibly cheaper! And tighter rules! Yes I'd probably the series is at risk but if rounds are run at a loss it's not fair on the club or members for funds to have to be found from the "pot" to fund a series for low numbers.

Northy 8
09-09-2011, 21:07
Make sure the correct cars are in the correct class
Defo needs new tracks for sure or proper hill climbs etc
Times have changed since 2006
Alot of the new members are not interested in using the car for sprints etc

chaz83
09-09-2011, 21:11
i think new tracks would be good. Heard blyton would make a fantastic sprint circuit for example. Another idea worth maybe exploring would be to involve scoobynet. Whether that would be feasable i dont know, but an idea never the less

Gary @ APT
09-09-2011, 21:13
ive loved what i seen this year

yes i guess class's need a tweak,i think biggest thing needed is a very basic class that doesnt have rules that can be twisted so some new guys can come have a go without feeling pressures

im sure theres loads of people that want to have a go but banter and bickering that goes on here im sure puts many off

Northy 8
09-09-2011, 21:15
Chaz you will only about 3 from there mate

chaz83
09-09-2011, 21:15
I think your probably right gaz, and im one thats probably guilty of that. I think a class which is completely stock bar exhaust, filter and springs would probably be where it wants to be

chaz83
09-09-2011, 21:16

how do you mean northy mate??

Northy 8
09-09-2011, 21:18
Scooby folk are a waste of time mate
To many chavs and will not spend
Wrong folk

FQ360 NICK
09-09-2011, 21:19

I've spoken to a few lads at the local scooby club, one was very interested but is car is a track car only so no mot.
Agree about the tracks maybe less high profile tracks are cheaper to bring the price down.

Richard marples
09-09-2011, 21:28
scoobs and skyline clubs have been invited to trackdays before but they never come to any. Maybe the few but not many.

Don't think the sprints would be much different.

Deinately needs something though.

Northy 8
09-09-2011, 21:31
I'm afraid it's just the sign of the times and will get worse

FQ360 NICK
09-09-2011, 21:32

Always the Pod :lol:

Gary @ APT
09-09-2011, 21:32

banter!! i rest my case,why not keep positive for club:smthumbup

Gary @ APT
09-09-2011, 21:34
so as a question whats stopping people doing sprints??

Northy 8
09-09-2011, 21:38
Gary
Where is that banter
It's called facts
If you care to turn the news on everyday we are told that more unemployed etc
People are more bothered about paying the mortgage each month than doing a sprint a month
It's hard for some to get it that are on a very good wage still
I don't live for just evos either like some
I train 5 days a week for my 100 m running and just started to go golfing again
It's a much cheaper hobbie

Nick try go to the pod a few timed per yr as so cheap to any other motorsport

Northy 8
09-09-2011, 21:42
By the way I Defo want the mlrss to continue
I am doing the last 2 this yr
But you can't force members to do it

Gary @ APT
09-09-2011, 21:46
By the way I Defo want the mlrss to continue
I am doing the last 2 this yr
But you can't force members to do it

i agree in what you saying but theres also a good few people that have got money and news/negative reports make them hold on to cash too

people follow a trend and always will,the more people ****ing on sprints the less likey it will happen again

Northy 8
09-09-2011, 21:47
True enough

Rampant
09-09-2011, 22:03
Here's my view on why noobies won't get involved... {besides the current economic situation as detailed above, which is a drastic negative at the moment :( )

The trouble is that there is too much "rich" competitiveness. Common or garden road car evo entries are entirely put off by this.

By far the vast majority (99%+) of evo owners do NOTHING to their cars, so can't hope to be competetive even in class A. Now who would stump up good money for a competitive event if they know they haven't a scooby's chance in evoland of being competitive. OK there are a few, but <0.1% of 99%+ is still a very small amount.

This translates into poor value for money for the great majority. And in the current economy...

I have no solution to this observation, just the simple observation, that is all... Sorry

Cheerz

Mark H

PFC
09-09-2011, 22:06
There's a perception that it costs a fortune both in prepping a car up and to do each event.

The aim should be that people just use the car they already have and not join the spending arms race.

Sure there are some who have spent and are spending big but from what I've seen there are plenty who do it on a shoestring or in some cases half a shoestring. They turn up with their road car or off road car in the case of the "yellow peril" and have a bit of fun.

Maybe it's time for a thread about handy hints and tips on how to keep the costs down doing the MLR sprint series:angel:

PFC.

Rampant
09-09-2011, 22:16
There's a perception that it costs a fortune both in prepping a car up and to do each event.

The aim should be that people just use the car they already have and not join the spending arms race.

Sure there are some who have spent and are spending big but from what I've seen there are plenty who do it on a shoestring or in some cases half a shoestring. They turn up with their road car or off road car in the case of the "yellow peril" and have a bit of fun.

Maybe it's time for a thread about handy hints and tips on how to keep the costs down doing the MLR sprint series:angel:

PFC.

You're quite right, Ray.

That "perception", as you put it, is so regularly reinforced by so many people on here that it has become gospel. The words "got to spend to win", or words very like those have been preached on here like a mantra, so it would be an uphill stuggle to try to dispell that perception.

Like you I did some MLRSS on as much a shoestring as I could. Count me in for giving advice to noobies and economists...

Cheerz

Mark H

Banni_evo
09-09-2011, 22:19
Here's my view on why noobies won't get involved... {besides the current economic situation as detailed above, which is a drastic negative at the moment :( )
The trouble is that there is too much "rich" competitiveness. Common or garden road car evo entries are entirely put off by this.
By far the vast majority (99%+) of evo owners do NOTHING to their cars, so can't hope to be competetive even in class A. Now who would stump up good money for a competitive event if they know they haven't a scooby's chance in evoland of being competitive. OK there are a few, but <0.1% of 99%+ is still a very small amount.

This translates into poor value for money for the great majority. And in the current economy..

I have no solution to this observation, just the simple observation, that is all... Sorry

Cheers

Mark H

This is absolutely spot on in my opinion! A lot of the runners at sprints have all the gear tools spare wheels, towed their vehicle down. And some people may feel a bit silly rolling up in their road car and sticking it on the track then driving home.

However saying that, seeing the top boys with all their gear and watching them run really is awesome and I think it would be a shame to loose that.

I think if we can come up with something for newbies coming and only coming with the basics of their car on 1 set of wheels bla bla then we can crack it!

D2
09-09-2011, 22:26
I've been unable to compete in the MLRSS this nyear due to other commitments but im hoping to build mysef another competitive car for 2012 and do most of the rounds! :)

scubaladdie
09-09-2011, 22:26
Maybe a daft question but if the Scooby/Skyline crowd aren't interested in taking part, what about some of the Passionford lot? Sapphire Cossies, Focus RS's etc?

Goginawa
09-09-2011, 22:35
Im interested in doing mlrss and have been since last year but for financial and other reasons couldn't really commit myself to it,even had to cancel the rig and spa trip due to the later reason.Did actually spend most of the dough on getting the car where I want it and now it's there.wasn't getting it ready for any type of an event but purely for my pleasure

Would never be put off by the big guns and as for being embarrassed by coming just in my car and not bringing it on a trailer I honestly couldn't ve bothered,have done the same for few track days and would do it for mlrss,spare Tyres in the back and couple of jerry cans would be enough so hopefully the business will pick up and fingers crossed for next year:D

chaz83
09-09-2011, 23:41
I think the biggest problem is the recession. So if it is possible to make the events cheaper i think it could continue. Maybe the smaller circuite like blyton could be the answer :)

kenny1
10-09-2011, 00:16

Circuits a bit more central would be good. Lydden was way too far for me for 16 minutes on track, although I have travelled these distances many times before. I know you can't please everyone with the petrol prices being what they are Snetterton is going to cost me 120 in fuel just to get there and back. 25 on track, 130 for the sprint and 50 for the hotel. 20 for food and drink and that's a total of 345 to do a sprint. That's actually cheap motorsport believe it or not but in this climate it's still a lot of money. Times that by 7 sprints and it's 2415 for the year before breakages and modding to keep up in class.

So in answer to your question, money is stopping people from doing sprints. It's not just the amount of people losing their jobs, it's the cost of living. Gas, elecric has shot up as you know, Vpower is about 1.45 Per litre, food has gone up.

In fact the only thing that has gotten cheaper is Evos.:blah:

In this thread, i think we as the members, should voice any ideas on how the series can be prolonged :smthumbup

There has to be a way of making the sprints cheaper. Here's a few ideas:

1. Make the tracks as cetral as possible.
2. Allow everyone to use cheap slicks or watever tyre they want.
3. Genuine pump fuel only
4. All sprints 99 (This might encourage more people to come?)

Another thing people may noe be able to handle is the pressure of trying to do well in class. It has been suggested before and I disagreed but it may be worth getting rid of the class rules for one sprint to see what happens? No pressure on anyone then, just turn up and see how far up the ladder you can place, rather than worrying about coming last in class.

Another thing that needs o be promoted is the fact Pace Ward offer breakdown cover that covers people who attend trackdays and sprints, It's about 66 and there's no worrying about pushing your car on the road and lying to the AA about how you broke down near silverstone with stickers all over your car and 4 wheels/tyres on the backseats. Kinds takes the stress out of worrying how you will get him should you have a problem at the event. They will pick you up from inside the circuit apparently. Bargain!

Anyone can pick holes in any suggestion.."but if you did that this would happen..."...but lets welcome all suggestions to see if anything good crops up. Don't be shy.:smthumbup

MidnightE6
10-09-2011, 00:55
Just my thoughts so please dont shoot me down.

Few things that may put a few people off -

Class i.e i am currently using a OE 6 turbo but have an autronic ecu, this would put me in class b i believe where 360bhp standard-ish car has no hope which leaves me on to the other note.

Competitive , now i know some people modify there cars solely for sprints and thats great but again with someone being new they may only want to be apart for some fun nothing too serious. i.e someone who has never done it before may just want to have a few rounds ,catch up with other members and see others.

Price, with everything at the moment there seems to be less money around at the moment so the 200-400 it may cost a round could be spent on other things or just save.

Just my 2p worth.

GUM EVO
10-09-2011, 01:38
I believe its purely the financial climate... People know there is cost of tyres, geo, service before, pads etc... Then there is cost for insurance and if you don't have it cost of repairs if you have an off. Then any breakages like diffs, gearbox's, engines etc. It's a great series and anyone who says you can't go in and be competitive in class A is talking bull. There is a different winner every Sprint and a couple of winners it was there first time in mlrss season.

If people are worried about class's so they are not entering why don't you see these guys names down on the MLR trackdays? That's not a series, there are no prizes, members mingle, its a fun day with no pressure.

Kind regards,
Gum

GUM EVO
10-09-2011, 01:50
Those that get pushed up a class for something they believe gives them no advantage why not just do it anyway and if you beat all the guys in the class you believe you should be in then be proud? If you really want a trophy then up-spec or down spec simples. If I got pushed in B I would take advantage of being able to use better tyres and coilovers which without a doubt would improve times no end. If I couldn't afford it I would simply try and judge my driving compared to others I feel with similar spec. When a class car is prooven to be bending or cheating the rules then this is something that should be looked at... Or if the rules allow such a huge difference in performance from one car to the next... Then that should be looked at to.

Dicky
10-09-2011, 06:27

Perhaps control tyres like the MSA blue book, Class A & B = 1A Tyres, Classes C & D = 1B Tyres. This would keep the costs down and may invite others to enter in classes C & D in there normal but modified road cars without the need to purchase a whole range of tyres & wheels for each event.

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/11/191-200%20Permitted%20Tyres.pdf

EvilReap
10-09-2011, 07:03
ok totally new to the sprints only done one so far teeside is my next

i run in class a not spent loads of money on a tight budget and still came 4th in my class at igleston and the times were really close

i would say main point is money for some i know i run on a very minimul budget but i still scrimp and save for what i enjoy to do trophy or no trophy

opinion to me from previous quotes is maybe new tracks or layouts if tracks permit new layouts

try bring cost down as traveling and staying and maintanance costs are high already

just my 2p worth

KNOXVILLE
10-09-2011, 07:07

I think the main problem is people worrying about not being competitive, although they wont admit it.

Rules have become far too complicated with people building cars just to win a class and a plastic trophy. What happened to building your car how you want it, then run in the appropriate class? When it first started there were no trailers about. I drove to and from all events on the same day for 3 years.

I dont see the cost as a problem tbh. You've all bought Evos after all.

All this 'banter' puts people off too.

As for a solution, not sure. I would like to see the series continue:smthumbup

Northy 8
10-09-2011, 07:13
I agree with alot said
My car will be about the least power in class b but I have to get on with it
Defo people don't want to get beat in the bigger bhp cars as will look bad
The only way to get better is to keep on doing them

willox
10-09-2011, 07:50
People just have to go out and enjoy,if that's what they want to do.really can't think of a cheaper days motorsport than the mlrss,great value as it is when you look at price of any other event,joke anyone looking for 30 off the entry:handsup:

wakaba
10-09-2011, 08:22
all leisure persuits are affected by a down turn in the economy whether it be 10 pin bowling or attending a sprint...it's a no brainer.

milk
10-09-2011, 09:01
really wanted to do the series this year but had a few issues with the car, but will be doing it next year. think from the newbies point of view it all the banter makes it look quite clicky, if you get what i mean. as for the classes they do appear to be confussing i think i end up in class d. but don't really care just want to get to use my car properly.

PFC
10-09-2011, 09:33
The perception that the series is a bit Cliquey is far from the truth. You'll not get the cold shoulder from anyone at an MLR sprint. Not in my experience anyway.

Loads of decent advice if on offer, you just need to ask, some will offer advice even if you don't ask.:)

Think of a sprint as an MLR meet but with the distraction of a good many runs on a track.:thumbup:

The banter is all part of the fun, a fragile ego and not being able to accept getting some blather back if you dish some out might be a problem for some.

Anyway can't sit at my keyboard all day, my OAP bus pass is ticking away and there is an offer on cocoa at the shops today:D

PFC

KenX
10-09-2011, 09:40
By far the vast majority (99%+) of evo owners do NOTHING to their cars, so can't hope to be competetive even in class A. Now who would stump up good money for a competitive event if they know they haven't a scooby's chance in evoland of being competitive. OK there are a few, but <0.1% of 99%+ is still a very small minority

Mark H

Disagree Mark. At some circuits yes, but at others (Lydden, Oulton) power isn't everything..... I was running just sticky rubber and a remap at Lydden and (just) won class A. At Oulton I didn't do so well but that may have been my tyre coming off.....But look at Corkys times with a similar spec and you can see that at some tracks it's more about driver ability.......

peeler
10-09-2011, 10:17
cars falling into the wrong classes have been a big problem.

That's not my opinion either nearly every sprint it's been spoken about and on here.

As far as motorsport goes it's very cheap, tyres will last a season 1/2 tank of fuel then all your travel etc...

I have loved the last 2 years sprinting and will keep doing it in the future as long as it's still here, I here people saying do different cheaper tracks etc.. Part of the attraction is the big tracks for me and tbh i wouldn't be that interested in all the costs involved to rag my car round a car park around cones. But living on the iom I get stung every trip with boat fares:frust:

I think the cost of the entry is spot on for a days motorsport on a track we all have heard of :)

Blood Speed
10-09-2011, 10:27
People just have to go out and enjoy,if that's what they want to do.really can't think of a cheaper days motorsport than the mlrss,great value as it is when you look at price of any other event,joke anyone looking for 30 off the entry:handsup:

Agree, if folk really enjoy doing something they will usually find the cash one way or another, the entry fees are good value and what difference would it make to the days costs of fuel/ wear and tear etc.
I mean, and its the every day uses that need to be encouraged into the sport, ...if one can afford to run an evo with high service costs.. discs 300/400..pads 200,road tyres every 8k miles for example,then lowering the entry fees wont make any diff.
Just to put into perspective the costs of other sporting activities, DH mountain bike entry fees are 60/70 per event,times that by 250/300 entries= 15 to 20,000 :eek:
Mlr sprint 125 x 30/40 entries= 3750 to 5000..:shake:.so you can see where the Mlr are coming from.

Its a catch 22 situation.
Most Members probably run fairly standard cars and wouldn't go throwing huge amounts of cash on them, they are enthusiasts who use them every day or every wk end and go to watch events and shows etc, so it would be hard to encourage these into any form of motor sport.
Then there's the big spenders who tune and modd their cars but wont dare venture on track cause they think its too risky and are safer doing 100 plus on the road than on track.:shrug:

MidnightE6
10-09-2011, 10:57
Those that get pushed up a class for something they believe gives them no advantage why not just do it anyway and if you beat all the guys in the class you believe you should be in then be proud? If you really want a trophy then up-spec or down spec simples. If I got pushed in B I would take advantage of being able to use better tyres and coilovers which without a doubt would improve times no end. If I couldn't afford it I would simply try and judge my driving compared to others I feel with similar spec. When a class car is prooven to be bending or cheating the rules then this is something that should be looked at... Or if the rules allow such a huge difference in performance from one car to the next... Then that should be looked at to.

Just the nieve post i was expecting!!!

Some people dont want to modify there cars to only comply with the sprint rules , some people want to turn up in there car , have fun and drive back.

Hardly fun if you are put into a class where other cars have had spent on them.

Why should the newbie people have to be forced what they can and cant do to there car by simply wanting to have some fun
:smthumbup

MidnightE6
10-09-2011, 11:00
I agree with alot said

Me and you then, least you will not come last with me involved lol.

Lee5
10-09-2011, 11:07
Hi Guys,

I think this is a great thread and it good to see it staying constructive :smthumbup

I am keeping a note of what everyone is saying, like Gary has said about a more basic class, some think its a bit to competitive, different tracks needed and the classes.

I don't have a clue what is going to happen next year with the MLRSS, but keep the ideas coming and please keep it on topic:D

Cheers
Lee

MidnightE6
10-09-2011, 11:12
Hi Guys,

I think this is a great thread and it good to see it staying constructive :smthumbup

I am keeping a note of what everyone is saying, like Gary has said about a more basic class, some think its a bit to competitive, different tracks needed and the classes.

I don't have a clue what is going to happen next year with the MLRSS, but keep the ideas coming and please keep it on topic:D

Cheers
Lee

I guess you could rub the competitive out, i dont think people would mind if its a fair playing ground as there is always someone going to be quicker.

More tracks would be ideal though as i would like to do a few in 2012 :smthumbup:smthumbup

GUM EVO
10-09-2011, 18:42
Just the nieve post i was expecting!!!

Some people dont want to modify there cars to only comply with the sprint rules , some people want to turn up in there car , have fun and drive back.

Hardly fun if you are put into a class where other cars have had spent on them.

Why should the newbie people have to be forced what they can and cant do to there car by simply wanting to have some fun

Hmm o.k...

If its fun do you mind me asking why you care about class??? Afterall its just fun? Also if you don't want your time posted I'm sure you can request to have your times not shown. Class is only relevent to competitiveness.

Gum

chaz83
10-09-2011, 19:40
Another option could be maybe to opt in or out of being in a league. That way your participating for the enjoyment rather than a trophy.

shendy
10-09-2011, 19:55
I've been followong the sprint this year and i think that there needs to be some sort of class to get people in the 'door' as such. Im not saying i know the answer. But people like myself ive a evo6 2.3. so if i was to enter id be with the 'big boys' and id like to be a little it compertive in the class i was in.
Also something that isnt going to break the bank.
I'm not saying i know the answer but i think that the classes need a tweek and some kind of new class for the road going evos.

markmec
10-09-2011, 19:59
Perhaps the option to "opt out" of the series points etc may help if it takes pressure off people not wishing to get into the competitive edge.

But once you have entered and seen that the events are very well run, and not cliquey in any way you might well want to join in the fun of chasing down the top of the leaderboard. :mhihi:

Gary @ APT
10-09-2011, 20:00
any way for me its all about the bar the night before!!

corky_79
10-09-2011, 20:04
I agree with alot said

Your car will come into the same league as mine, Gum's and Chaz's etc.

Yes you have the diff that puts you up a class, but we can still have a laugh and compete with each other matey :smthumbup

Disagree Mark. At some circuits yes, but at others (Lydden, Oulton) power isn't everything..... I was running just sticky rubber and a remap at Lydden and (just) won class A. At Oulton I didn't do so well but that may have been my tyre coming off.....But look at Corkys times with a similar spec and you can see that at some tracks it's more about driver ability.......

:eek::eek:

There may even be a compliment in there :crackup:

At the end of the day, there is naff all between the class A cars, anyone with a car that falls into the class A regs has a chance of a win with a half decent driver.

Anyone that uses the excuse of not thinking they will be competitive in class A without ever entering a sprint is being a bit silly IMO.

Newcomers have won in the past, and quite a few 'regulars' have entered several rounds this year without winning one (including me :mhihi:).

Anyone that falls into the perceived worng class for the remaining sprints and haven't done a minimum of 2 already, what difference does it make.

Use it for experience.

You need 4 results to be in the running overall, and if you are a newby who cares what class you are in, the best you could hope for is a small trophy if you were to win :confused:

In fact, I will buy 4 small trophies ahead of Teesside and I will give 1 to the fastest newby in each class.

MidnightE6
10-09-2011, 20:07
Your car will come into the same league as mine, Gum's and Chaz's etc.

Yes you have the diff that puts you up a class, but we can still have a laugh and compete with each other matey :smthumbup

At the end of the day, there is naff all between the class A cars, anyone with a car that falls into the class A regs has a chance of a win with a half decent driver.

Anyone that uses the excuse of not thinking they will be competitive in class A without ever entering a sprint is being a bit silly IMO.

Newcomers have won in the past, and quite a few 'regulars' have entered several rounds this year without winning one (including me :mhihi:).

Anyone that falls into the perceived worng class for the remaining sprints and haven't done a minimum of 2 already, what difference does it make.

Use it for experience.

You need 4 results to be in the running overall, and if you are a newby who cares what class you are in, the best you could hope for is a small trophy if you were to win :confused:

In fact, I will buy 4 small trophies ahead of Teesside and I will give 1 to the fastest newby in each class.

Interesting that, what about a newbie event i.e new to the series. This may help the numbers also as most would be on the same level i.e experience stage 1 mods etc etc?

corky_79
10-09-2011, 20:18
Interesting that, what about a newbie event i.e new to the series. This may help the numbers also as most would be on the same level i.e experience stage 1 mods etc etc?

What about newbys who have a stroker etc?

I think newbys just need to enter in whatever class they are in and just have a go.

Some would surprise themselves tbh.

Take that experience away with them and decide what they want to do with it.

Either accept how well they are doing with the car as is, or spend a few quid to make it better etc etc

Until peeps have done this, I do not see how they can make a judgement tbh.

GUM EVO
10-09-2011, 20:24

I think newbys just need to enter in whatever class they are in and just have a go.

Either accept how well they are doing with the car as is, or spend a few quid to make it better etc etc

Agreed

peeler
10-09-2011, 20:26
I've been followong the sprint this year and i think that there needs to be some sort of class to get people in the 'door' as such. Im not saying i know the answer. But people like myself ive a evo6 2.3. so if i was to enter id be with the 'big boys' and id like to be a little it compertive in the class i was in.
Also something that isnt going to break the bank.
I'm not saying i know the answer but i think that the classes need a tweek and some kind of new class for the road going evos.

Been saying this for a long time, imo a proper road going stroker full trim no cage ( road cars don't shouldn't have a cage) shouldn't be put against full blown race cars :smthumbup

GAZ5EVO
10-09-2011, 20:31
think it was said before but why not have a class for first timers, doesnt matter what spec the car is, its a introduction into the sprints, basically a 50/50 without putting people in different classes.
money is also another problem, i dont earn alot and if it wasnt for the 50/50 this year then i wouldnt be taking part simple.
I also think that the top 3 people in each class and newbies should get a trophy or something not just the winners of each class.

MidnightE6
10-09-2011, 20:31
Not sure how you would do it?

Maybe 2000cc and 2050cc onwards class.

Well it also gives the new people experience as not everyone can afford the sprints , run there evo daily and modify it.

I just think it would open the door for more people.

If they do enjoy the year they will be more inclined to find the extra fees to compete with the regulars :smthumbup:smthumbdo ??

corky_79
10-09-2011, 20:35
Been saying this for a long time, imo a proper road going stroker full trim no cage ( road cars don't shouldn't have a cage) shouldn't be put against full blown race cars :smthumbup

I kinda agree, but at the moment we have a guest class and 4 EVO classes.

People are calling for less complicated rules in one breath and then asking for existing classes to be split further to accomodate newbys and differing specs within class.

IMO the increasing complexity over the years has caused some of the issues with numbers.

In 2007-2009, we just turned up and got on with it and the numbers were greater (having said that, the economy was in a much better place, so hard to say if it is really a factor).

I would be happy if there were no classes tbh and just turn up to enjoy the car.

You know what cars have similar specs, so there would be 'unofficial competition' and it would still be a laugh.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the classes as they are and the fact I may have a chance at the overall win in class A (a slim chance granted :crackup:), but I would still enter next year if classes were binned.

Having tyres open would be fine by me as well.

300 for a cheap set of wheels and then 100 for a set of rally slicks would work out cheaper for me than the wear and tear on my road tyres.

GAZ5EVO
10-09-2011, 20:41
see my post above

it would be nice to just turn up and see how quick you are, and like corky said you know cars that have simular spec to you so can gauge how your doing that way.

another way of doing it is

1)stage 1 mods
2)forged road cars
3)forged road cars, lightened and roll cage
4)race cars, cars with roll cages, stroker kits etc.

corky_79
10-09-2011, 20:42
Not sure how you would do it?

Maybe 2000cc and 2050cc onwards class.

Well it also gives the new people experience as not everyone can afford the sprints , run there evo daily and modify it.

I just think it would open the door for more people.

If they do enjoy the year they will be more inclined to find the extra fees to compete with the regulars :smthumbup:smthumbdo ??

I understand what you are saying, but you would still get newbys with 500 bhp long rod 2 litres with coilovers etc racing against totally standard 260's and therefore this would cause further threads moaning.

And the same with the strokered newbys and ones with trackday prepped monsters.

Perhaps a prize at the end of the sprinting year for the most improved newby, based on say a 3 event minimum and voted for by the regular sprinters.

That would provide an incentive for new people to take part and do 3 or more rounds, and the MLR could perhaps offer a decent prize like 50% off entry to the following year's sprints for the winner.

corky_79
10-09-2011, 20:44
see my post above

it would be nice to just turn up and see how quick you are, and like corky said you know cars that have simular spec to you so can gauge how your doing that way.

another way of doing it is

1)stage 1 mods
2)forged road cars
3)forged road cars, lightened and roll cage
4)race cars, cars with roll cages, stroker kits etc.

Not bad, but the strokers need removing from 4.

A basic road car with a stroker should not be penalised over the ones in class 3 IMO

Or how about classes on turbo kit alone.

1. Standard mitsi.
2. Variants on standard frame, fg green etc.
3. Up to GT30
4. GT35 and over.

Simple and the rest is up to you and use whatever tyres you want. Strip it if you want and use a roll cage if you want.

GAZ5EVO
10-09-2011, 20:45
Perhaps a prize at the end of the sprinting year for the most improved newby, based on say a 3 event minimum and voted for by the regular sprinters.

That would provide an incentive for new people to take part and do 3 or more rounds, and the MLR could perhaps offer a decent prize like 50% off entry to the following year's sprints for the winner.

:smthumbup like that idea :smthumbup

MidnightE6
10-09-2011, 20:46
Yes that does sound good!

I'm looking to join in 2012 , would be no where competitive as i have no experience with track driving and would prob get lost on the track more than once. Not only that but i would be put in class b with 360bhp circ with basic suspension mods etc.

Purely because i could not afford to become competitive which i do not mind.

The newbie class sounds very appealing also the best improved newbie sounds good.

After all i am sure this event is fun for most , i just think being in a class with superior drivers/cars takes a little of the fun away?

Lee5
10-09-2011, 20:48
Still reading :)

We did try to get race cars and road car away from each other but it was met with a monster thread, remember it I think it was titled "rollcages" :)

Also every rule that is made must be checked in some way or another, we cant have rules that we can not check/see :)

Lee

corky_79
10-09-2011, 20:54
What about a buddy system?

People that want to take part inform the MLR.

One newer sprinter gets drawn at random with a regular sprinter (at some point before the event).

The newby goes out for say 3 of the practice laps with the regular sprinter, and the regular goes out with the newcomer on his 3. 3 laps out of a possible 8 isn't much to ask from the regulars and I certainly wouldn't object.

This would serve as sort of free tuition and the fun part is you could get someone like Kenny or Neverman as your 'buddy' or you could be unlucky and get me :crackup:

This would help with the cliquey misconception and people would learn from the regulars and basically get more from the day.

kenny1
10-09-2011, 21:08
Corky this is already happening. I've been out with whitti today. He now knows how to launch a car with a single plate clutch without killing it, which I believe a few new sprinters do worry about. I'll also be taking him out at snet and going in his car too to try and get him up to speed. Anyone else is welcome too. I am no pro instructor but I do try to help the newbies. I'm sure others would help too.

Unfortunately I keep trying with you but for some reason you think going backwards is faster:lol:

corky_79
10-09-2011, 21:40
How about the winner of each class gets automatically promoted the year after (or has to run 1 class higher if they get a different car) and the person who finishes last in each class gets to drop down a class.

Obviously the winner of class D and loser of class A would remain as is.

For eg, if I win class A, I'll happily move up to B next year.

John would move to C.

Baz or Logan would go into D.

GAZ5EVO
11-09-2011, 07:21
how about this some people might have roll cages in their cars as they wanted that look or in the process of making it into a track car but has standard suspension and 380bhp, and standard turbo, what class would you put him in? by the rules as they stand he would be in class B yet all day long without the roll cage it would be a class A car. I think everyone need to put a spec list up of their cars so lee and the gang can see who is running what and then they can make a better judgement on classes.

like i said

1) upto stage one cars
2) forged road cars, with cams, turbo, injectors, suspension, brakes, standard interior
3) forged track car, no interior, roll cage, injectors, suspension, brakes, etc
4) stroked engines, track preped cars, etc
5) guess class A clios, astras, colts etc
6) guess class B nissan gtrs, over 400bhp.

monkeynuts1
11-09-2011, 08:47
For the series to carry on into 2012 we have to try to bring in more people to race or lower the running costs at each event.

Below are just a few points I thought of dont bash me as I am only trying to help :handsup:After the series coming this far I do not want to see it fold:cry:

Now trying to attract more people in the current economic climate may be hard but at Oulton out of the 30ish runners I think there was 8 totally new or newish runners so that was a great start (not sure who did 50/50)

At Lydden there where 12 new runners

Nearly a third at both events

The banter on the forum may be off-putting for newbies but that is forum life:lol:

The rules have become to completcated for newbies :blah:the idea of a novice class is good to attract new blood:smthumbup

The driver self instruction is ok but is it legal :confused:would you get in a car with someone you dont know :handsup:

Lowering running costs means cheaper venues.. nice warm pits are nice but do you really need them

We race on some of the countries top tracks which are not only fast but safe
with trained saftey marchells on most corners

Would you be happy Running round cones on old bumpy airfields? What are the cost differance between the two

central track locations may help to lower competitor expenses

One last question .......if the series folded what would you do with you car ?would you sell and move on or just do track days

KNOXVILLE
11-09-2011, 08:50
What about a total change to classes and points? Do it similar to a league system. 8 or so per division with promotion and relegation after each round. Div 1-4, etc. No classes needed. It will give everyone a shot at a trophy and would make it far simpler.

nwwil
11-09-2011, 09:08
do not have any rules, easy, winner wins:thumbup:

monkeynuts1
11-09-2011, 09:15
do not have any rules, easy, winner wins:thumbup:

But would that attract 30 more cars to each event :D

peeler
11-09-2011, 09:19
What about a total change to classes and points? Do it similar to a league system. 8 or so per division with promotion and relegation after each round. Div 1-4, etc. No classes needed. It will give everyone a shot at a trophy and would make it far simpler.

Again something else i have said in another thread, with the spec of cars now you are guaranteed that a class D car wins overall, i think it should be structured so everyone is in with a chance of winning overall.

I think most of the regs are spot on no need to complicate even more, try if anything to simplify the whole thing.

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 09:37
I agree it's the same class d cars that will win
I go to see where I am overall more than in class
The bigger bhp cars need penalising like a class d car has to say add 3 secs on to there overall time
Sorry but money wins again

Barrie @ DCY
11-09-2011, 09:38
I think its a clubmans type of series the mlr sprint , their are many many 280 -400 hp cars around and members in mlr and thats what the main aim should be ... just as it set off in the first place as , their is no real need for anything doing sprints in a series like this above 500hp - if they can afford the big big high spec cars .. i would say TA is for that type of thing not a clubmans type sprint ... this is what probably frightens a lot away .

Its such a hard one to call and design rules for but i do think it would benefit from lets says the more day to day cars so people can get involved more .

Im just looking from an outside view , as im not involved in the sprints ,this is how i see it anyway

other Thing is ... keep the classes SIMPLE some how ... oh and points ystems SIMPLE

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 09:43
I agree with Barrie
Makes me laugh how some have to have 700 to 800 bhp to win a forum sprint
Obviously dare not enter a proper series
Well funny

nwwil
11-09-2011, 10:26
I know this will never happen but if every one puts there keys in a hat and what keys your draw is the car you drive:eek:

Blood Speed
11-09-2011, 10:31
think it was said before but why not have a class for first timers, doesnt matter what spec the car is, its a introduction into the sprints, basically a 50/50 without putting people in different classes.
money is also another problem, i dont earn alot and if it wasnt for the 50/50 this year then i wouldnt be taking part simple.
I also think that the top 3 people in each class and newbies should get a trophy or something not just the winners of each class.

I agree with the first bit in part.. a first timers class:thumbup:..but however with the small entries of late you could be ending up with more classes than cars entering, a class for the cleanest car.. a class for highest mileage, etc.

Come on, soon will be giving encouragement trophy's for just turning up, i mean were not children at a birthday party.
Ive got dozens of moto cross trophy's in the loft i can donate, just snap the motor bike of the top and there you go.:lol:

And come on,so you couldn't afford the extra 60 than the 50/50 , thats rubbish, i bet you spend that on night out and a take away.

kenny1
11-09-2011, 10:35
The bigger bhp cars need penalising like a class d car has to say add 3 secs on to there overall time

Money always wins and it's a pain in the arse having to use race fuel at 7 a litre just to keep up. I've only used it once this season at TOTB. Made a massive difference to the car. I'm not sure why it's allowed at a club sprint. :blah:

3 seconds penalty at Silverstone would have put me in 18th place:

http://www.lancerregister.com/downloads/2011%20Rd1%20Competitive.pdf

That's 10 places behind a class B car. That's a bit tough Northy.:crackup: Imagine at Teesside where a class B car could easily win without any penalty? Very difficult to come up with a formula that works for every track. My car at 640bhp this year and is not fast enough to win a single MLR sprint, but I just have to take that on the chin. You can have all the talent in the world (which I haven't) but it simply will not make you faster in a straight line, and that seems to be where most time is gained. Look at the Snetterton layout and tell me class B cars have a chance of coming close to an overall win? It's just how it is, the big bhp cars are bound to be faster at most tracks.

I think to give the lower classes (B onwards) a chance they should be allowed to use any tyre and more tighter circuits should be used. Teesside, 3 sisters, little gokart type of tracks are great fun and that's where the lower powered cars excel.

I think its a clubmans type of series the mlr sprint , their are many many 280 -400 hp cars around and members in mlr and thats what the main aim should be ... just as it set off in the first place as , their is no real need for anything doing sprints in a series like this above 500hp - if they can afford the big big high spec cars .. i would say TA is for that type of thing not a clubmans type sprint ... this is what probably frightens a lot away .

To be honest I'd rather watch paint dry that do a whole season of TA just because I have 600bhp+. It's also way out of my league expense-wise. 350 entry fee, dry sump needed. Nah, my car is set up for sprinting as is Madmac's and others. I will get to Snetterton and back for around 350 all in. Sprinting is the cheapest form of motorsport I know of and that's what I have always preferred. TA is for the rich boys.

I agree with Barrie
Makes me laugh how some have to have 700 to 800 bhp to win a forum sprint
Obviously dare not enter a proper series
Well funny

The MLRSS is about as "proper" as it gets mate. It's a great series, we just need to encourage more newbies, have much tighter tracks and more of them, 6 sprints a year max AND make every sprint count for the overall points. ie. If you break down, tough, there are no throw away points.That could mean the lower classes have a better chance of winning overall as the high bhp cars are more prone to breaking. Just a thought.

Another idea would be bring a friend and get a discount on your next sprint.

Bedmonster
11-09-2011, 10:49
Where are the MLRSS tracks?

Lee5
11-09-2011, 10:52
Where are the MLRSS tracks?

This years events.

DATES, VENUES & CIRCUITS
Saturday 26 March: SILVERSTONE - Stowe Circuit, approx 2.5km, no noise limit
Saturday 30 April: CASTLE COMBE - Full Circuit, approx 3km, 105dBA
Saturday 18 June: LYDDEN HILL - Circuit configuration TBC, 105dBA
Saturday 23 July: INGLISTON, EDINBURGH - 2010 Circuit, 105dBA
Saturday 13 August: OULTON PARK - Full Rally Circuit, 105dBA
Saturday 24 September: SNETTERTON - New 100 Circuit, 105dba
Saturday 22 October: TEESSIDE AUTODROME (Night; 3:30pm 11pm) - International Circuit, 2.5km 103dBA

Bedmonster
11-09-2011, 10:56
This years events.

DATES, VENUES & CIRCUITS
Saturday 26 March: SILVERSTONE - Stowe Circuit, approx 2.5km, no noise limit
Saturday 30 April: CASTLE COMBE - Full Circuit, approx 3km, 105dBA
Saturday 18 June: LYDDEN HILL - Circuit configuration TBC, 105dBA
Saturday 23 July: INGLISTON, EDINBURGH - 2010 Circuit, 105dBA
Saturday 13 August: OULTON PARK - Full Rally Circuit, 105dBA
Saturday 24 September: SNETTERTON - New 100 Circuit, 105dba
Saturday 22 October: TEESSIDE AUTODROME (Night; 3:30pm 11pm) - International Circuit, 2.5km 103dBA

Ta

Blood Speed
11-09-2011, 11:17

That was spooky Paul, as i was reading Peeler's post above yours, i was thinking of the very same.
I thought to simply-fie the rules there to be a handicap system,
700hp and above 3 secs..above 600 2 secs..500 above 1 sec, job done.
Only draw back though is how you police it?

Blood Speed
11-09-2011, 11:19
For the series to carry on into 2012 we have to try to bring in more people to race or lower the running costs at each event.

Below are just a few points I thought of dont bash me as I am only trying to help :handsup:After the series coming this far I do not want to see it fold:cry:

Now trying to attract more people in the current economic climate may be hard but at Oulton out of the 30ish runners I think there was 8 totally new or newish runners so that was a great start (not sure who did 50/50)

At Lydden there where 12 new runners

Nearly a third at both events

The banter on the forum may be off-putting for newbies but that is forum life:lol:

The rules have become to completcated for newbies :blah:the idea of a novice class is good to attract new blood:smthumbup

The driver self instruction is ok but is it legal :confused:would you get in a car with someone you dont know :handsup:

Lowering running costs means cheaper venues.. nice warm pits are nice but do you really need them

We race on some of the countries top tracks which are not only fast but safe
with trained saftey marchells on most corners

Would you be happy Running round cones on old bumpy airfields? What are the cost differance between the two

central track locations may help to lower competitor expenses

One last question .......if the series folded what would you do with you car ?would you sell and move on or just do track days

Good points/Questions.:thumbup:

kenny1
11-09-2011, 11:22
That was spooky Paul, as i was reading Peeler's post above yours, i was thinking of the very same.
I thought to simply-fie the rules there to be a handicap system,
700hp and above 3 secs..above 600 2 secs..500 above 1 sec, job done.
Only draw back though is how you police it?

Bit difficult that mate. I tried for over a year to beat my 500bhp time at harewood hill. I was always 2 tenths slower with 600bhp. It's not quite that simple mate. It's track dependant.

corky_79
11-09-2011, 11:39
I like kenny's idea of no throw away points and 6 rounds count overall.

This would effectively handicap mega, unreliable big bhp cars.

Blood Speed
11-09-2011, 11:54

That's 10 places behind a class B car. That's a bit tough Northy.:crackup: Imagine at Teesside where a class B car could easily win without any penalty? Very difficult to come up with a formula that works for every track. My car at 640bhp this year and is not fast enough to win a single MLR sprint, but I just have to take that on the chin. You can have all the talent in the world (which I haven't) but it simply will not make you faster in a straight line, and that seems to be where most time is gained. Look at the Snetterton layout and tell me class B cars have a chance of coming close to an overall win? It's just how it is, the big bhp cars are bound to be faster at most tracks.

Don't agree with the above, as in last year i was closer in secs to the winning car at combe which is the fastest circuit and im on standard engine with a few tweeks, and was further away at Teeside which was the slowest.
This is because once one gets up to speed...castle combe is more flowing,less stop start and the evo 8 works better at 3/4/5th gear corners than 2nd gear corners which the the evo 5/6 are more suited to.

Having said that your right..there's no substitute for sheer HP.
The problem with this evo scene is, the difference between the lowest HP and the biggest is massive. Only 30/40 entries and you have 300HP difference, how does the Mlr police that?:shake:

I think to give the lower classes (B onwards) a chance they should be allowed to use any tyre and more tighter circuits should be used. Teesside, 3 sisters, little gokart type of tracks are great fun and that's where the lower powered cars excel.

:eek::blah:As my comments above, go cart type tracks are for carts and caterhams etc.

The MLRSS is about as "proper" as it gets mate. It's a great series, we just need to encourage more newbies, have much tighter tracks and more of them, 6 sprints a year max AND make every sprint count for the overall points. ie. If you break down, tough, there are no throw away points.That could mean the lower classes have a better chance of winning overall as the high bhp cars are more prone to breaking. Just a thought.

Good point.

Blood Speed
11-09-2011, 12:04

Don't agree with the above, as in last year i was closer in secs to the winning car at combe which is the fastest circuit and im on standard engine with a few tweeks, and was further away at Teeside which was the slowest.
This is because once one gets up to speed...castle combe is more flowing,less stop start and the evo 8 works better at 3/4/5th gear corners than 2nd gear corners which the the evo 5/6 are more suited to.

Having said that your right..there's no substitute for sheer HP.
The problem with this evo scene is, the difference between the lowest HP and the biggest is massive. Only 30/40 entries and you have 300HP difference, how does the Mlr police that?:shake:

:eek::blah:As my comments above, go cart type tracks are for carts and caterhams etc.

Good point.
Don't no what happened above there looks all Kenny's post.

Bedmonster
11-09-2011, 12:56
As someone who may be interested in at least having a go I'll let you know my thoughts.
For me, most of the tracks are at least 3 hours drive away, not exactly ideal.
Price to take part for fun is reasonable, but when you figure in the above it starts getting on the uncomfortable to justify side for me, as I'd have to take a day off (Friday) for some and get a hotel room.
I've only ever done limited track work, non competetive, magazine shootout at Brunters.
I'd rather it be on tracks than airfields with cones.
I think it would be a good idea to have a sort of instructor/mentor/veteran sprinter to go on a few laps.
I couldn't give a fat rats arse about plastic trophies and certificates for my fridge, if you do, good luck to you. Ive got a lardy X SST, If you can't beat that you shouldn't bother. If Billy big ******** gets a buzz from entering his purpose built 600+bhp sprint car in a club event then crack on.

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 13:07
One thing that bugs me is that the tracks overall are for the big bhp to win,,,
I was always a believer in sprints having a good few tight bends with say 250m straights,,
I only want to do the small tracks now as some are like the m1

peeler
11-09-2011, 13:08
As someone who may be interested in at least having a go I'll let you know my thoughts.
For me, most of the tracks are at least 3 hours drive away, not exactly ideal.
Price to take part for fun is reasonable, but when you figure in the above it starts getting on the uncomfortable to justify side for me, as I'd have to take a day off (Friday) for some and get a hotel room.
I've only ever done limited track work, non competetive, magazine shootout at Brunters.
I'd rather it be on tracks than airfields with cones.
I think it would be a good idea to have a sort of instructor/mentor/veteran sprinter to go on a few laps.
I couldn't give a fat rats arse about plastic trophies and certificates for my fridge, if you do, good luck to you. Ive got a lardy X SST, If you can't beat that you shouldn't bother. If Billy big ******** gets a buzz from entering his purpose built 600+bhp sprint car in a club event then crack on.

You wouldn't need to take the Friday off work for a Saturday sprint, just travel down that night.

chaz83
11-09-2011, 13:26
If there are any members reading through this thread who aren't currently participating in the sprints, but are intrested in doing so, speak up and let's hear your thoughts :)

What is it that puts you off? What is it that needs addressing for you to decide that you are going to give it a go? :)

shendy
11-09-2011, 13:34
What puts me of is ive got a road going evo but its a 2.3 so i would have to be with the big boys. I'm not going to enter to win but id like to stand some kind of chance!
The amount of evos out there that have strokers but still road going as such, needs some kind of class for them. Also what about some kind of pro class/traders class?

neverneverman
11-09-2011, 13:38
[QUOTE=peeler;4115403]Again something else i have said in another thread, with the spec of cars now you are guaranteed that a class D car wins overall, i think it should be structured so everyone is in with a chance of winning overall.

I put farward a suggestion to this 2 years ago ,so it would be possible for a class A B C D to win but i got shot down .. :smthumbdo

It all needs looking at ,But the Classes need Simplifying or dropping and some other way of doing it ..

peeler
11-09-2011, 13:40
[QUOTE=peeler;4115403]Again something else i have said in another thread, with the spec of cars now you are guaranteed that a class D car wins overall, i think it should be structured so everyone is in with a chance of winning overall.

I put farward a suggestion to this 2 years ago ,so it would be possible for a class A B C D to win but i got shot down .. :smthumbdo

It all needs looking at ,But the Classes need Simplifying or dropping and some other way of doing it ..

Will G
11-09-2011, 14:15
i have not done any sprints but for me the time you get in the seat compaired to a track day is not enough thats what puts me off saying that i am going to give it a try

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 14:22
What puts me of is ive got a road going evo but its a 2.3 so i would have to be with the big boys. I'm not going to enter to win but id like to stand some kind of chance!
The amount of evos out there that have strokers but still road going as such, needs some kind of class for them. Also what about some kind of pro class/traders class?

So what do you suggest?

2.3 going against a 2.0? A little unfair.

I believe the classes need addressing , i for one already saving for 2012 as my wage is not great and prob not half as much as most on here so the 100 here and there do hurt me so cost is an issue for some. But as already said it seems a cheap way into motorsport so it can not be helped.

Some i will drive down before , some i will need to get a hotel but again long as its fun and exciting i do not mind the saving to enter.

The tyre issue , again i believe is helpful in one hand but takes away in another. As i would be driving down in the car i could not put 4 new wheels and tyres in the car just for that even though it would work out cheaper than 600.00 road tyres.

Tbh i just cant wait to enter and have the experience. :smthumbup

kenny1
11-09-2011, 14:36
So what do you suggest?

That's quite a misconception a few have on here. Knoxville won in a 2L 3 years in a row and Rich Marples has won plenty of MLR sprints in his 2L.

2L cars rev like mad so whatever you gain with a stroker down below you lose top end when comparing to a 2L. I also think it's pontless running stroker with any turbo smaller than a 35, which a few people do on here. It's not all about CC.:smthumbup

FQ360 NICK
11-09-2011, 14:36
TBH the classes are not bad as they stand .
Classes don't seem to be the problem, I'd run in B no problem with a class A car, as northy said just look at the overall table to see how you are doing.
In fact a lot of Class A cars post better times than class B, no matter how hard you try not everyone will be happy.
As for not getting as much seat time it's a totally different experience to trackdays, i used to do a lot but after a few sprints would find them boring now.
Would much rather do a rwyb than a trackday at least you get a buzz out of it :smthumbup

Will G
11-09-2011, 14:37
what gets me is the way people moan like bitches if you have money or a good job get on build the best car you can to win .People who have no money or a low paying job do your best and enjoy it because if it does fail to continue it will be missed why not support the mlrss instead of moaning about long tracks for big bhp cars etc get your mates involved have your own little battles etc

FQ360 NICK
11-09-2011, 14:42
what gets me is the way people moan like bitches if you have money or a good job get on build the best car you can to win .People who have no money or a low paying job do your best and enjoy it because if it does fail to continue it will be missed why not support the mlrss instead of moaning about long tracks for big bhp cars etc get your mates involved have your own little battles etc

I think you will find more folk do it on a low budget than you would think.
You have a well specked car must have had a fortune spent on it, but won't do a sprint why ?

shendy
11-09-2011, 14:49
So what do you suggest?

I believe the classes need addressing , i for one already saving for 2012 as my wage is not great and prob not half as much as most on here so the 100 here and there do hurt me so cost is an issue for some. But as already said it seems a cheap way into motorsport so it can not be helped.

Some i will drive down before , some i will need to get a hotel but again long as its fun and exciting i do not mind the saving to enter.

The tyre issue , again i believe is helpful in one hand but takes away in another. As i would be driving down in the car i could not put 4 new wheels and tyres in the car just for that even though it would work out cheaper than 600.00 road tyres.

Tbh i just cant wait to enter and have the experience. :smthumbup

Im not saying i have the answer. But that is a reason why i have'nt had a go, it puts me off a bit. maybe the road going classes need a tweek.

Lee5
11-09-2011, 14:51
Im not saying i have the answer. But that is a reason why i have'nt had a go, it puts me off a bit. maybe the road going classes need a tweek.

What spec is your car ?

Lee

Will G
11-09-2011, 14:52
I think you will find more folk do it on a low budget than you would think.
You have a well specked car must have had a fortune spent on it, but won't do a sprint why ?

time in the seat as i have said in an earlier post drive to snetterton 4/5hour from here and spend less than 1 hour behind the wheel go cadwell oulton donnington or croft 2.5 hour drive the furthest and do 180 track miles i just want as much time as i can in my car i am planning to do a few sprints

FQ360 NICK
11-09-2011, 14:53

It's not just the 2.3, other things tend to go with it bigger turbo brakes coilovers etc.
I would have no problem letting a 2.3 run in class A as long as it met the other rule.

KenX
11-09-2011, 14:57

Must have had a glass too many when I wrote that:lol::lol::lol:

KenX
11-09-2011, 15:00

Exactly this. I wanted a set of coil overs, so when the "Mod Joker" came out I ordered and fitted some. Of course the rules then changed so I was stuck with going up a class to B, or changing suspension everytime
:smthumbdo
So what? I just enter in class B and enjoy myself:)

corky_79
11-09-2011, 15:03
Exactly this. I wanted a set of coil overs, so when the "Mod Joker" came out I ordered and fitted some. Of course the rules then changed so I was stuck with going up a class to B, or changing suspension everytime
:smthumbdo
So what? I just enter in class B and enjoy myself:)

I still see you as my closest competition, coilovers or not as our cars are very similar.

And we have a laugh competing, which is what it is all about. :smthumbup

milk
11-09-2011, 15:33
not done a sprint yet due to car problems. but intend on doing them next year.

just a thought on classes idea could be to drop a class. most issues i see are with class A,B.

so why not do
novice/newbie class
advanced
and pro

and slacken the regs and say top three in class go up and bottom three go down. then maybe say winner of each class gets next sprint half price.

michael7s
11-09-2011, 16:03
I'm planning to join the series next year, only thing puts me off is distance(cost of getting there), so Im probably going just within 100miles (from London).
Also layout of track. I would prefer more skills-orientated driving, not just long straight,straight, braking,bend, straight straight..
Much more fun and more chance for less-powered cars
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KwxtUWIAIr8

Blood Speed
11-09-2011, 17:13
I'm planning to join the series next year, only thing puts me off is distance(cost of getting there), so Im probably going just within 100miles (from London).
Also layout of track. I would prefer more skills-orientated driving, not just long straight,straight, braking,bend, straight straight..
Much more fun and more chance for less-powered cars
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KwxtUWIAIr8

Within 100 miles...Well that's ok that would mean a least 3 rounds as of this years events, its more than most have done so far.

More skills driving...so what do you have in mind, as this is tarmac track sprinting which is accelerate..brake..corner.. accelerate..straight...:hammer:
maybe some off roading.. gymkhana : reversing into cones :mhihi:.. sorry for that.

Just on a serious note...out of 88 point scorers across the country including Scotland,from 5 rounds only 35 drivers have done more than one round.
Also, only 8 drivers have done the max four events.

Thinking about this, so why only 4 from 7 rounds to count. I think it should be to only drop 2 rounds at most then at least folk can miss the furthest away one's but still encourage folk to do more rounds.
To have 70/80 drivers at each event, realistically you need at least 120/140 showing an interest.

monkeynuts1
11-09-2011, 17:31
At the end of the day you can play with the rules till the cows come home but untill we can find a way to attract more new runners the series just ends..............PLAIN AND SIMPLE:cry:

Why not pm all the people that have entered in the last 2 years and ask there feelings on the situation that way you might get an honist answer

putting the meetings in a more central point as said will lower the competitors costs but if the track is say ten grand to hire and only 30 guys run its a no brainer .

It seems you will have to go back to basics with the venues to get a lower baseline running cost and then work around that.:group:

Maybe the introduction of differant classes has pushed up the running costs people throwing money at the car to go quicker to try and beat the car above you in class....the must have syndrome :lol:

Go back to basics as Nige said fastest car wins end of story:rolleyes:

markmec
11-09-2011, 17:43
Do away with the tyre rules, that way everyone can source cheap slicks etc and enjoy the fantastic grip levels an Evo will give with proper tyres. :D

Most people have more than one set of wheels for sprinting, and cheap 2nd hand ones are readily available.

I just hope the series continues, with whatever classes etc as some people dont realise the fun there is to be had!! :mhihi:

RSgeoff
11-09-2011, 17:59
Totally agree with Nigel - do away with all the classes.

If you're so interested in why people are quicker than you then go and ask them their cars spec.

Trophy's for 1st / 2nd / 3rd.

All sprints 99 or less.

No points or leaderboard, as the majority aren't interested in it.

Back to basics like when Haynes and Marham were running.

Stops all the "class" bickering which everyone is totally fed up with & causes the organisers so much hassle.

K
11-09-2011, 18:02

If you're so interested in why people are quicker than you then go and ask them their cars spec.

All sprints 99 or less.

Stops all the "class" bickering which everyone is totally fed up with & causes the organisers so much hassle.

There has always been classes afaik?

peeler
11-09-2011, 18:07

All sprints 99 or less.

I wouldn't take part if this was the case :smthumbup

I would have 0 interest in paying to compete in a series where i will not be competitive unless I'm running 650+

Worse suggestion ever have away with classes imo, just make them simple and fair :smthumbup

Sometimes people who are not in the MLRSS get confused with banter and bickering, people are competing and want to win, its human nature

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 18:13
Scooby folk are a waste of time mate
To many chavs and will not spend
Wrong folk

Cheeky git. Lol

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 18:23
Rob there is only you and mr darley that actually do sprints mate

RSgeoff
11-09-2011, 18:25
Worse suggestion ever have away with classes imo, just make them simple and fair :smthumbup

Sometimes people who are not in the MLRSS get confused with banter and bickering, people are competing and want to win, its human nature

But all people do is moan about the classes, no matter what they do with them, every year.

It starts about now with everyone going on about next year, then when the classes are announced (which will never suit everyone) people moan, then it continues throughout the season along with the cheats, then you get the assumers, then people fall out :confused:

No classes = nothing to moan about. Just turn up, do as best as you can, enjoy the day knowing the other people who you'd like to be competitive against.

After the terrible attendances this year, it would be wise to do something completely different next year using these simple rules / only having about 4 sprints and seeing how it goes.

Personally I think all the class / car spec bickering over the last few years has done more harm to it that the recession.

Will G
11-09-2011, 18:35
if people want it simple and this will up set some there can only really be 2 classes
modified any rubber do what you want

standard car control tyre remap exhaust pads free basicc mods
?????

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 18:36
Rob there is only you and mr darley that actually do sprints mate

True mate I'm looking at doing all the Mlr sprints next year even though I won't take place in any of the points. End of the day I know where I come against cars same as mine. Cheaper places/ tracks wold be better. Blyton would be a cracker as it's just been renewed. Was looking at doing snet but just too far away. Using some of the bigger well known tracks is expensive.

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 18:39
What about classes in power i.e -

300-400bhp Basically road spec.
400-500bhp Basically Fast Road Track
500-600bhp Basically Track
Over 600bhp Basically hooligan

???

corky_79
11-09-2011, 18:41

???

How would it be policed?

Ideally, power to weight would be best.

Just not possible to weigh and sump every car at every sprint, so you would have to rely on honesty.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 18:42
How would you enforce it? Iv got a graph for 450 bhp and one for 610 bhp I could show the lower one?

Will G
11-09-2011, 18:44

???

they say they all want it simple road spec big difference 300 400 bhp
fast road coil overs? brakes cage seats etc to complicated also a lot for organisers to check and do just my opinion

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 18:44
How would it be policed?

Ideally, power to weight would be best.

Just not possible to weigh and sump every car at every sprint, so you would have to rely on honesty.

Most people know approx there bhp or even each others.

Highly doubt a OE 6 GSR turbo would be in the 500-600bhp GT35 in the 300-400 class etc etc.

No to power to weight as your handicapping the people who use there car as a daily driver etc.

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 18:45
they say they all want it simple road spec big difference 300 400 bhp
fast road coil overs? brakes cage seats etc to complicated also a lot for organisers to check and do just my opinion

Of course , however its not hard or expensive to get an evo from 300 to 380 ish?

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 18:46
You will always get someone who will bend the rules though.

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 18:47

and that cant happen now?

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 18:48
No I know it does in all motorsport you can't get away from that. But classes based on bhp makes it even easier for them to do it

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 18:49
No I know it does in all motorsport you can't get away from that. But classes based on bhp makes it even easier for them to do it

Yes i agree but cant get the classes much more simple than that :handsup:

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 18:50
Well no lol.

corky_79
11-09-2011, 18:54
Most people know approx there bhp or even each others.

Highly doubt a OE 6 GSR turbo would be in the 500-600bhp GT35 in the 300-400 class etc etc.

No to power to weight as your handicapping the people who use there car as a daily driver etc.

Exactly the opposite, it would help not hinder the full weight road cars.

for example my car is 370 bhp ish and 1570 kgs, so 235 bhp per tonne.

a 370 bhp evo 3 at 1200 kgs would be 308 bhp per tonne.

a 500 bhp full weight 9 would be about 357 bhp per tonne and a 500 stripped 5 would be about 416 bhp per tonne.

so you can see that power to weight if it was possible to measure fairly would be fairer than just classes based on power.

E5_DCB
11-09-2011, 18:54
Money is the issue as already said . Last mlr trackday i did there were only 16 Evos there out of 60 odd..
Its a great well run event the MLRSS and it would be a shame for it to be stopped.
People saying seat time is an issue - Have a look at MSA sprints, 2 runs you get all day at our local track. So you do get more time on track with the mlr.

I don`t know what to put forward for classes etc maybe let everyone run any tyre so drivers could buy cheap rally tyres.
Poss some cheaper tracks? Prescott hill climb etc maybe cheaper than some places.
The mot rule - The car I have now doesnt have one as its a track only car. I would enter a few next year if this was lifted, im sure a few others would too.

milk
11-09-2011, 18:56
think open up mods to all classes and move the top three up and bottom three down, that way if for instance people who do bend the rules to suit would get bumped up, or would have to purpously hold themselves back to stay in that class which defeats there point of rule bending. i bet there are people who can out drive others with less power.

know if i enter at the moment i end up in class D and with my driving skills i would struggle to be competetive in class A.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 18:58
Why not have class shadowing msa sprints. Standard class SC ie as it came out the showroom no mods what so ever. road going modified no structural mods except basic cage no Rose jointed suspension Inc top mounts. Modified any thing goes.

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 19:00

Exactly the opposite, it would help not hinder the full weight road cars.

for example my car is 370 bhp ish and 1570 kgs, so 235 bhp per tonne.

a 370 bhp evo 3 at 1200 kgs would be 308 bhp per tonne.

a 500 bhp full weight 9 would be about 357 bhp per tonne and a 500 stripped 5 would be about 416 bhp per tonne.

so you can see that power to weight if it was possible to measure fairly would be fairer than just classes based on power.

But there are people saying the tracks suit the higher bhp cars. So it is not right that a higher bhp car would beat a higher bhp per tonne car if everything else was the same??? Just a thought, prob wrong lol.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:00
You would never get a truthfull power to weight as you can't rely on the owner telling truthful output.

milk
11-09-2011, 19:01
think it might be the msa regs etc that may be putting people off. people want to have a go see all the regs and get put off.

RSgeoff
Why does dropping the tyre rule for class A&B to allow people to buy cheap 2nd hand slicks make anything cheaper :confused::confused:

Just run your normal road tyres, that's the cheapest option ! That's the point of a road class.

Saves having to buy a 2nd set of wheels / tyres then lug them to events and have to changeover which is a pain in the RS.

You only do about 8 laps so don't get any wear on your tyres anyway.

MidnightE6
Why not have class shadowing msa sprints. Standard class SC ie as it came out the showroom no mods what so ever. road going modified no structural mods except basic cage no Rose jointed suspension Inc top mounts. Modified any thing goes.

Not really simple IX 360 vs V GSR. :thumbdown:thumbup:

Will G
11-09-2011, 19:02
lots of people are doing the mlrss on a budjet this is the feeling i get when reading this thread why not make it simple
class a

open cheque book do what you want

class b

evo 1 to x full weight road car
standard mitsi turbo no more than 1.5 bar
remap
exhaust
air filter
controled tyre r888 v70a or what ever best deal can be had with
pads and disc free but standard size and standard calipers
coil overs
seats can be changed
bolt in cage only
wheels free
tyre size max 255

these mods wont break the bank most evos are this spec anyway
will make it easier to police
class b would be competitive imo

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:06
How long have msa sprints been running? It seems to work. The rules arnt that hard standard car standard class. Fully caged carbon fibre Rose jointed arms top mounts etc out n out modified everything else in road modified. I ran a standard Scoob for a year in modified because I had a back box on that's it against 450+ cars it's what it is have fun driving and bettering yourself.

markmec
11-09-2011, 19:06
MSA regs are not really fair you can have an 800hp car as long as its still road going etc can be up against a 280hp std car..

So for that reason shouldnt be considered an option. :D

corky_79
11-09-2011, 19:08
Why does dropping the tyre rule for class A&B to allow people to buy cheap 2nd hand slicks make anything cheaper :confused::confused:

Just run your normal road tyres, that's the cheapest option ! That's the point of a road class.

Saves having to buy a 2nd set of wheels / tyres then lug them to events and have to changeover which is a pain in the RS.

Lydden for example was a tyre killer.

I have just paid 770 for my road tyres and they will last 12 months if I am lucky.

I'd have bought cheaper ones if I could have used rally slicks.

That saving would have bought some cheap wheels and rally slicks that would have done a couple of seasons sprinting.

Safer and cheaper in my case anyway.

But there are people saying the tracks suit the higher bhp cars. So it is not right that a higher bhp car would beat a higher bhp per tonne car if everything else was the same??? Just a thought, prob wrong lol.

A high horsepower light car is obviously going to be quicker than a high horsepower heavy car.

You would find that high horsepowered full weight cars would be similar speed wise to lower horsepowered stripped/lighter cars.

So it stands to reason that the fairest way would be to measure power to weight and then make the categories like you said.

Class 1 - sub 300bhp/tonne
Class 2 - 300-350 bhp/tonne
class 3 - 350-400 bhp/tonne
class 4- 400 bhp/tonne +

And then guest class.

But, as people say how do you police the power figures? They can weigh the cars at scrutineering, but have to believe people's graphs.

I have one for 370 bhp for mine.

If I get it to 400, I would be required to be honest (which I would)

Others wouldn't.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:10
How is a 800+ car going to drive on standard suspension bar coilovers with standard top mounts and road tyres. Not that good is it ?

Richard marples
11-09-2011, 19:10
One thing that bugs me is that the tracks overall are for the big bhp to win,,,
I was always a believer in sprints having a good few tight bends with say 250m straights,,
I only want to do the small tracks now as some are like the m1.

why you doing snetterton then you numpty. :crackup:

Bedmonster
11-09-2011, 19:11
IMO tyres have to made free for all classes, makes sense from a money perspective.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:11
MSA regs are not really fair you can have an 800hp car as long as its still road going etc can be up against a 280hp std car..

So for that reason shouldnt be considered an option. :D

280 bhp standard car would be in standard class not with modified car so that doesn't matter

markmec
11-09-2011, 19:13
Coilovers are allowed in my local MSA club events in road going class? :confused:

You talking about the MLR rules?

I was observing the mention of adopting the MSA's way of thinking, which isnt anywhere near fair.

How is a 800+ car going to drive on standard suspension bar coilovers with standard top mounts and road tyres. Not that good is it ?

MidnightE6
Not keen on MSA rules.

But people forget the idea is to have fun as well as competitive, surely there would not be many bending the rules?

wrxbart
If you want more other marques to take part maybe offer them a guest champion overall trophy or something. As it is they only come for a laugh like I did.

markmec
MSA rules are crap!! :lol:

Not keen on MSA rules.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:15
Coilovers are allowed in my local MSA club events in road going class? :confused:

You talking about the MLR rules?

I was observing the mention of adopting the MSA's way of thinking, which isnt anywhere near fair.

If you read my post I said totally standard cars in standard class. Coilovers would put it I. Modified but not out n out do anything class

Blood Speed
11-09-2011, 19:17

Because snett sprint is tiny, its only the new extended bit.

E5_DCB
11-09-2011, 19:17

Because me and a lot of others I know always had a 2nd set for track days/sprints etc. I wouldnt like to be pushing the car on road tyres tbh. I always had R888 but if i could of ran 25 a corner rally tyres that would of saved me a packet on 888 prices.

milk
11-09-2011, 19:19
If you read my post I said totally standard cars in standard class. Coilovers would put it I. Modified but not out n out do anything class

thing with that is i bet there isn't many totally standard cars.

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 19:20
I like the ideas of -

Top 3 per year get moved up a class.

Winner per class gets a % off there next MLRSS event.

Some how introduce a newbie class , i honestly believe having a class for new people to the MLRSS would attract new people.

More tracks available , then MLR choose which ones to go to i.e have 12 in mind then put it to a forum vote which 6 or so are used.

???

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:23
Ok then stuff the classes lol give guests something to compete for and make it cheaper by going to cheaper events.

milk
11-09-2011, 19:25
curbourogh would be a good track. and you can do a day there for 60 and thats based on 20 people using the track so sure the mlr could get a good deal.

corky_79
11-09-2011, 19:26
Ok then stuff the classes lol give guests something to compete for and make it cheaper by going to cheaper events.

There is a guest (class G) trophy

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:26
Iv done 1 Mlr sprint want it to continue as was made to feel welcome even though I was in a Scoob. And want to do more

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:28
There is a guest (class G) trophy

Didnt know that sorry

Will G
i think people should just drop the discount idea of where they finish its been said the mlr dont want to run the events at a loss .Pay the money have your fun take a plastic trophy home thats what happens every week at motorcross meetings go ask the amca for a discount because you finished in the top 3 they would laugh at you

Lee5
If you want more other marques to take part maybe offer them a guest champion overall trophy or something. As it is they only come for a laugh like I did.

Guest class is were all the other marques go and at the end of each sprint the winner of that class wins a trophy, the day you came you obviously didnt win Class G ;) :D

Lee

corky_79
11-09-2011, 19:29
Didnt know that sorry

And a little MX5 beat 2 scoobys to it at Oulton :lol:

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 19:29

Listen 3 chins:lol::crackup:
I have not done any sprints in the last 2 yrs
Just thought i am ready for another go this yr,,
Snett is like the m1,, Most folk go around the corners at around similar speed
Then the fastest drag ones kill ya on the straights
Simple as that
If i find it boring then that will be it:smthumbup

Even in the msa hillclimbs certain folk have ruined that now,,
Put rd tyres on with a dog box, full interior, at 700bhp
The msa must no these cars never came out of the box like that but still allowed in rd class
Money pricks ruin it again

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:30
curbourogh would be a good track. and you can do a day there for 60 and thats based on 20 people using the track so sure the mlr could get a good deal.

Very short but good track even if you only did one a year there would be good value for money

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 19:31
i think people should just drop the discount idea of where they finish its been said the mlr dont want to run the events at a loss .Pay the money have your fun take a plastic trophy home thats what happens every week at motorcross meetings go ask the amca for a discount because you finished in the top 3 they would laugh at you

People are forgetting MLRSS needs to attract new blood?

How do you suggest you do that?

Reasons why people are not joining are the following -

Cost
Some think its to competitive

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:31
And a little MX5 beat 2 scoobys to it at Oulton :lol:

What!!!!! No who were they, they need sorting lol

Lee5
11-09-2011, 19:32
Also just to add, a few of you are mentioning different circuits - more central etc etc...

Could you list a few of the circuits you think the MLR should consider for next year if it should happen :)

Lee

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:33
Guest class is were all the other marques go and at the end of each sprint the winner of that class wins a trophy, the day you came you obviously didnt win Class G ;) :D

Lee

The day I came I came 5th or 6th overall and fastest class g but was 2 yrs ago.

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 19:34
curbourogh pretty small and tight track but good to mix it up a little.

milk
11-09-2011, 19:35
curbourogh

shellsley but think would struggle to get it.

corky_79
11-09-2011, 19:35
I still think that some sort of 'Most improved newby' prize would get more new entrants.

If you gave away a free place at the next sprint as a prize (to the most improved newby, and had a voting panel)

And the chance of getting a free sprint brought 5 new competitors to the sprint, the MLR would get 4 extra entries after the free place is given away.

It may attract more than 5.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:36
curbourogh pretty small and tight track but good to mix it up a little.

Defo and good for the lower power cars to take on the bigger cars.

FQ360 NICK
11-09-2011, 19:36
Blyton and curbough should be on lee, maybe silverstone first and last same as last year.
Infact if curbough is really cheap use it for every round.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:37
3 sisters. Aintree bit boring though.

milk
11-09-2011, 19:37
think any proper sprint/hillclimb venue as it would keep the cost down.

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 19:38
Yes curbourgh is what i imagine a sprint track should look like
Not these expensive big tracks that are boring and predictable
Tee side is a must,, Best sprint track to date

Mira was brill and harewood.. Plus thoreby in the grounds of an estate
It would be brill if the events were more like 80
No need for these named circuits

markmec
11-09-2011, 19:40
Last yr top 2 cars were 700hp at Teeside !! :lol:

I was 3rd though with a 400 ish hp car. :D

Yes curbourgh is what i imagine a sprint track should look like
Not these expensive big tracks that are boring and predictable
Tee side is a must,, Best sprint track to date

Will G
11-09-2011, 19:42
People are forgetting MLRSS needs to attract new blood?

How do you suggest you do that?

Reasons why people are not joining are the following -

Cost
Some think its to competitive

giving a top 3 finisher 5% discount is not going to attract new blood
i personly think the entry fee is not to bad its FUEL traveling expence etc if i enjoy it i will do every round but if my financial position changed the car would be the first to get the chop simple and thats what i think is happening here sprinting a car wont be cheep twin plate clutches aint cheep or tyres running a evo driven hard is expensive at any state of tune PEOPLE HAVE NOT GOT CASH FOR THE LUXURYS FACT so we all have to take the rough with the smooth atm

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 19:44
Mark,,
Teeside was brill and gav easily a few yrs ago at 440bhp,,
No one really there when mg won
No neverman, No marples,
Maybe the big bhp would win again but not by as much,,

I think if folk want the named circuits , Sounds like a bit of snobbery to me
When most want a cheap day out,,,
There are hundreds of estate type places to run a 50 sec sprint on

The trouble is alot on here are on a grand per week//Not in the real world like PM;s
And alot are on 400 per week,, Now the cars have come down in money its a diff market,,
You can;t expect people to spend say a weeks wages on a day out
Sorry but bills come 1st,,

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 19:47
giving a top 3 finisher 5% discount is not going to attract new blood
i personly think the entry fee is not to bad its FUEL traveling expence etc if i enjoy it i will do every round but if my financial position changed the car would be the first to get the chop simple and thats what i think is happening here sprinting a car wont be cheep twin plate clutches aint cheep or tyres running a evo driven hard is expensive at any state of tune PEOPLE HAVE NOT GOT CASH FOR THE LUXURYS FACT so we all have to take the rough with the smooth atm

But the % would be a chain event i.e Same 3 winning all the while , at the end of the year the top 3 get promoted to give others in class a chance.

Then the 3 promoted cant complain about additional costs as they had % off the initial buy in cost :confused:

Will G
11-09-2011, 19:48
what about tatton park they used to have a stage of rac rally there raf anglesey there are many places

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:49
Thoresby hall very tight n twisty but no tennis balls eh northy.

Will G
11-09-2011, 19:49
But the % would be a chain event i.e Same 3 winning all the while , at the end of the year the top 3 get promoted to give others in class a chance.

Then the 3 promoted cant complain about additional costs as they had % off the initial buy in cost :confused:

wouldnt do nothin for me sorry

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 19:51
wouldnt do nothin for me sorry

But in the long run ideally everyone would be promoted at one stage unless your like me and no driving talent at all lol.

Hence a circle effect :thumbdown:thumbup:

chaz83
11-09-2011, 19:52
Curbrough, Blyton, Mallory Park maybe??

FQ360 NICK
11-09-2011, 19:52
Markmec must know something about next year , he's put his car up forsale :lol:

markmec
11-09-2011, 19:53
I aggree with most of that mate!

I know people are looking for cheaper venues, but you have to wonder are the rounds of the MLRSS as good as they are due to being at proper tracks like Silverstone, Snett etc??

Mark,,
Teeside was brill and gav easily a few yrs ago at 440bhp,,
No one really there when mg won
No neverman, No marples,
Maybe the big bhp would win again but not by as much,,

I think if folk want the named circuits , Sounds like a bit of snobbery to me
When most want a cheap day out,,,
There are hundreds of estate type places to run a 50 sec sprint on

The trouble is alot on here are on a grand per week//Not in the real world like PM;s
And alot are on 400 per week,, Now the cars have come down in money its a diff market,,
You can;t expect people to spend say a weeks wages on a day out
Sorry but bills come 1st,,

markmec
11-09-2011, 19:54
:lol:

Nothing in it mate, I will still be at the sprints. ;)

Markmec must know something about next year , he's put his car up forsale :lol:

GAZ5EVO
11-09-2011, 19:56
what do you guys think to the morning session being like a qualifying session? top 3 or 4 from each class a lunch time go through to a decider in the afternoon, everyone will still run in the afternoon, but those guys picked will go for trophys and points, the 600bhp+ car will have two seconds added on 500bhp add 1 sec on etc down to class A who get no time added, it would mean that the bigger powered cars are competing against class A cars.

you will get the competitive side, yet it is equal in a way, and those who want to come and have a laugh still can.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:56
I aggree with most of that mate!

I know people are looking for cheaper venues, but you have to wonder are the rounds of the MLRSS as good as they are due to being at proper tracks like Silverstone, Snett etc??

But if people can't afford to do them it's not going to work. Keep some of the bigger tracks but experiment with others.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 19:58
what do you guys think to the morning session being like a qualifying session? top 3 or 4 from each class a lunch time go through to a decider in the afternoon, everyone will still run in the afternoon, but those guys picked will go for trophys and points, the 600bhp+ car will have two seconds added on 500bhp add 1 sec on etc down to class A who get no time added, it would mean that the bigger powered cars are competing against class A cars.

you will get the competitive side, yet it is equal in a way, and those who want to come and have a laugh still can.

But your still relying on people being truthful about there power and they won't!!!

chaz83
11-09-2011, 19:59
I think a mix of both Well known to little known venues. That way, the appeal of driving at silverstone and cheaper option of blyton :)

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 20:03
Thoresby hall very tight n twisty but no tennis balls eh northy.

Rob,,
I liked it
Only time i beat kenny
It was him that hit it, No me mate:smthumbup:D

GAZ5EVO
thing is the big powered cars everyone knows what sort of power they are running, its the stealthy looking 400+ cars that you have to watch out for lol.

wrxbart
I think a mix of both Well known to little known venues. That way, the appeal of driving at silverstone and cheaper option of blyton :)

Sounds good mate need to cater for all sizes of pocket.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 20:05
Rob,,
I liked it
Only time i beat kenny

Lol sorry mate I like it there too. Specially beating him by over a second there lol

corky_79
11-09-2011, 20:05
Not sure I would do sprints unless they were decent tracks tbh.

3 sisters is a no, they have looked into it in the past.

Go kart tracks are amazing, but not that many International circuits around that have adequate safety.

For the sake of saving maybe 40 on the venue each, I would prefer to pay the extra and have a paddock and marshalls at the ready.

Fuel is by far my biggest expenditure for the sprints.

Ignoring Oulton, the other sprints that I have done are over 250 miles away.

So more than a tank of fuel each way, plus the fuel for the sprint.

I except that though, as other than Oulton, there are no decent tracks around here.

Just totted up a bit and my average sprint looks like this.

Entry 120 (averaged)
Insurance 70 (optional)
Fuel 150 (averaged)
Hotel 30
Food 20 (honestly :crackup:)

Total 390 (or 320 without insurance)

5 sprints will be as above

So 1,600 and then Oulton that costs more like 300

Total for the year 1900

If you include a set of tyres (bearing in mind that I use my car for work, so 10,000 miles or so are on the road)

2,500 for a year's racing.

That is cheap considering I will travel the length and breadth of the Country and race at some awesome circuits like Castle Combe, Silverstone, Lydden etc etc.

To put that into context, I used to be a smoker.

Cigs are now about 7.00 for 20 and I used to smoke 20 a day. That would cost 2,555 per year.

So any smokers out there, quit and sprint and you will still be 55 better off :mhihi:

chaz83
11-09-2011, 20:06
I think catering for all pockets could well be the key. Also, for the regulars, it would be nice to experience some new events/circuits :)

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 20:07
Not done one for a year but do any of the guest cars winge about being up against higher power cars? Ie mx5 against a Scoob like said above? Just a question by the way.

scubaladdie
11-09-2011, 20:08
You need to consider beer/vodka/etc costs as well, they would add up a lot

chaz83
11-09-2011, 20:09
Rob, to my knowledge they don't mate

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 20:12
Corky that's fine but not everyone has the money to do the big circuits hence low attendance and maybe the need for some cheaper events to get more people interested. And it's still you out in your car driving it how it should be and having fun !

milk
so what your saying is it's the fannys in under powered evos then.:lol:

corky_79

Class G is awesome, because at some events you have atoms, other scoobys, clios, tvr's etc.

Not heard anyone moan about it being unfair.

If only the EVOs owners could learn something from them.

MidnightE6
I think the costs do need to come down, if less popular tracks are used so be it.

I.e 400 per sprint could be someones 25% if not upto 50% someones monthly wage and in this day people cant or will not pay hence the numbers going down?

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 20:13
Class G is awesome, because at some events you have atoms, other scoobys, clios, tvr's etc.

Hit the nail on the head there mate there just out for fun.

corky_79
11-09-2011, 20:15
Corky that's fine but not everyone has the money to do the big circuits hence low attendance and maybe the need for some cheaper events to get more people interested. And it's still you out in your car driving it how it should be and having fun !

:coolsm:, but for me it is the distance that hurts in fuel costs.

The entry isn't a big cost really.

If you found circuits far closer to Blackpool and it was cheaper to enter, ie a significant saving overall, then yes, I'd be interested.

The last cheaper event I entered was the clay pigeon sprint, which took about 12 hours to get there and 12 hours back, I ended up staying in a priceyish B & B and overall it cost me about 500 :crackup:

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 20:15
I think the costs do need to come down, if less popular tracks are used so be it.

I.e 400 per sprint could be someones 25% if not upto 50% someones monthly wage and in this day people cant or will not pay hence the numbers going down?

Well said that man lol

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 20:17
:coolsm:, but for me it is the distance that hurts in fuel costs.

The entry isn't a big cost really.

If you found circuits far closer to Blackpool and it was cheaper to enter, ie a significant saving overall, then yes, I'd be interested.

The last cheaper event I entered was the clay pigeon sprint, which took about 12 hours to get there and 12 hours back, I ended up staying in a priceyish B & B and overall it cost me about 500 :crackup:

That's a prob though as 1 will be close for some but miles away for others can't help that one.

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 20:18
Lol sorry mate I like it there too. Specially beating him by over a second there lol

Rob
The following yr when you went was wicked
God knows how you got that 49 mate:smthumbup

corky_79
11-09-2011, 20:20

Anyone that owns an evo and earns 800 per month should question whether such an expensive luxury is a good idea IMO.

Sounds harsh and it may be my profession kicking in now, but normal ownership costs me more than that (fuel, insurance, tax and servicing), etc.

The costs of sprints would come down if more people could be relied upon.

If a track costs the MLR 4000, then 40 people paying 100 to break even. If the MLR had 80 people guaranteed, they could charge less.

The numbers aren't high enough.

If you ran the MLR, which is a business at the end of the day, would you risk losing money by dropping the entry price.

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 20:21
Got a 48.3 year after lol

Lee5
11-09-2011, 20:22

I know what you are saying but if you was to go and watch TA and I stayed over etc it would cost just as much as I still have to pay for my fuel to get there and my hotel and food if I stay over.

The main thing is the cost of the event.

As we all have to pay to travel :D

Lee

kenny1
11-09-2011, 20:22
Rob,,
I liked it
Only time i beat kenny

You got a quicker time because I knocked a tennis ball off a barrel. It was like kickstart from the 80s. Surprised I didn't have to do a wheelie and a jump at the end.:crackup:

BTW, you seem to forget you were in mod prod with R888s on, so different class and therefore you still have never beaten me. :crackup:

Can't wait for Snet. I have to travel down the m1 for hours, do you think I will notice the difference between the track and the motorway when I get there?:crackup:

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 20:25
Anyone that owns an evo and earns 800 per month should question whether such an expensive luxury is a good idea IMO.

Sounds harsh and it may be my profession kicking in now, but normal ownership costs me more than that (fuel, insurance, tax and servicing), etc.

Ian,,
There not expensive to own and run for the rd,,
You can pick an evo 6 up for 5k
Insure mine for 600 per yr
Only put around 15 in fuel per week as mrs goes to work in it everyday
Not a massive amount more than any sports car
Only spend 100 on a ralliart stat in 15 months of ownership,,
Plus a 70 oil change,,

I much preferred the mscc msa tracks, but the messing with suits, correct helmet, liecence was a bore
The mlrss is much better run etc but the big tracks do nothing for me,,
Another one to add is barkston heath that i did with the mlr back in 2005 was wicked

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 20:25

I know what you are saying but if you was to go and watch TA and I stayed over etc it would cost just as much as I still have to pay for my fuel to get there and my hotel and food if I stay over.

The main thing is the cost of the event, are they worth the money ?

As we all have to pay to travel :D

Lee

Going off track, sorry for the pun.

Numbers are in decline , so if you can afford it then thats great but there is a need to find ways for people to enter on a lower budget else it will end up same 5-10 every event and being closed.

PFC
11-09-2011, 20:26

I agree. Make the tyres "free" and the big spenders go out and buy some proper slick sprint tyres. Whatever slicks you use and however cheap they are you are going to need another set of wheels/tyres if it rains and/or drive home on.

At least with 1a, 1b or OEM tyres you have a tyre that can do the job wet or dry.

PFC

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 20:27
You got a quicker time because I knocked a tennis ball off a barrel. It was like kickstart from the 80s. Surprised I didn't have to do a wheelie and a jump at the end.:crackup:

BTW, you seem to forget you were in mod prod with R888s on, so different class and therefore you still have never beaten me. :crackup:

Can't wait for Snet. I have to travel down the m1 for hours, do you think I will notice the difference between the track and the motorway when I get there?:crackup:

Kenny i was waiting for you to tell the world i had better tyres on than you
Which you are correct
I thought it was fair as you was on a stroker gt30 and lighter car
To my 100kg heavier evo 8 with massive lag:smthumbup:D:crackup:

Northy 8
11-09-2011, 20:27
Got a 48.3 year after lol

Rob,,:smthumbup
Kenny was quick as well wasn;t he a 49

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 20:31
Am I wrong but don't they do a discount if you book x mount of events upfront? That won't help as not many people have that money straight away. How about if you do x amount of events a year you get some money back at the end instead of a discount at the start?

Bedmonster
11-09-2011, 20:32

After reading this and the other threads I've decided that's the category I'm going to do some in, G, in my Mk1 FRS running about 350bhp, going to strip and cage the ****er for a laugh over this winter if I get time. I take it there are none of these rules you lot bicker about in G :smthumbup

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 20:34
Rob,,:smthumbup
Kenny was quick as well wasn;t he a 49

Yeah he did a 49.38 I think. Quick time with that long box

wrxbart
11-09-2011, 20:35
After reading this and the other threads I've decided that's the category I'm going to do some in, G, in my Mk1 FRS running about 350bhp, going to strip and cage the ****er for a laugh over this winter if I get time. I take it there are none of these rules you lot bicker about in G :smthumbup

No do what ya want in g lol we don't care. I will be in a 1100kg 700 bhp scoob

GUM EVO
11-09-2011, 20:37
Let's face it the series is fine as it is! Don't think you can get much cheaper! Your travel, fuel, hotel, food etc is what adds up. People are not attending due to the economy and some are still building their cars and what not. Most who are upset about classes have not even done a Sprint which is crazy... Do one before you start discussing changes to rules. In my opinion all cars stripped out , roll caged, or under 1300 kg should be in D as its a competition car and not road with those bits. Then make c for road cars with interior no cage and over 1300kg... Regardless of displacement.

RSgeoff
11-09-2011, 20:42
Maybe it's time to see some of you lot on the leaderbaord this new type of sprint?

http://www.howfast.co.uk/leaderboard.aspx

;)

PFC
11-09-2011, 20:44

:thumbup::smthumbup

Nice one.

PFC

kenny1
11-09-2011, 20:48
Maybe it's time to see some of you lot on the leaderbaord this new type of sprint?

http://www.howfast.co.uk/leaderboard.aspx

;)

I was looking at that the other day.:smthumbup

K
11-09-2011, 20:53

Seems expensive for 2 competitive runs :confused:

corky_79
11-09-2011, 20:54
Whilst I do agree that we definitely need 'newcomers', in creating interest for new sprinters that intend to do 1 or 2 rounds, I do not think that too many amendments should be made that will stop regulars who do 5-7 rounds every year from entering.

I will probably be accused of being 'cliquey' now, but I think this point needs to be made.

The sprint series has 'evolved' over the years and the regs have been tweaked every year, and IMO they are pretty good.

If the MLR had capped the power for the MLRSS years ago to say 500 BHP and had a few classes to suit, it would be much fairer and there would be quite a few people in contention.

It didn't, because nobody expected these cars to be running 700 bhp+.

They are, so it stands to reason that people with deep pockets will run the best car that they can.

I want to compete for something, that is the whole point of it being a timed sprint.

No classes would mean a fun day out yes, but I wouldn't enter as many as I do now.

I accept that I will never trouble the likes of Neverman and kenny, but I do want to be competing for something.

The trophy isn't important to me, but I want to finish well in my class.

I really don't envy Darin et al having to review the regs year in year out as they can't do right for doing wrong.

Money is the reason that entry numbers are low, nowt to do with classes and people are hiding behind the regs too much rather than being honest IMO.

I shall sit back and wait to be :flame: now :mhihi:

RSgeoff
11-09-2011, 20:54

Yep, I think i'll give it a go.

Even thought it's only 3 hours, and quite far away from me, I could choose an aftyernoon session to avoid an overnight stay.

Plus you can compare times to the Evo magazine leaderboard http://www.howfast.co.uk/Evo-Leaderboard.aspx

:)

K
11-09-2011, 20:56
Yep, I think i'll give it a go.

Even thought it's only 3 hours, and quite far away from me, I could choose an aftyernoon session to avoid an overnight stay.

Plus you can compare timeas to the Evo magazine leaderboard http://www.howfast.co.uk/Evo-Leaderboard.aspx

:)

It makes the mlrss look great value for money 2 competitive runs 99 what a joke!

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 20:56
Problem is, if you dont attract newbies it will only be the same 5-7 people and in the end die out.

Not sure how to attract more but 100% needed :smthumbup

Lee5
11-09-2011, 21:00
Problem is, if you dont attract newbies it will only be the same 5-7 people and in the end die out.

Not sure how to attract more but 100% needed :smthumbup

We did try this with the 50/50, we did get some new comers but not as many as we thought we might have got, you cant get a much better offer than that, can you ? :(

Lee

PFC
11-09-2011, 21:00
I don't think there is a lot wrong with the classes as they stand. Maybe just add the sentence if it doesn't specifically say you can do something then you can't.

That tightens things up and stops the well it doesn't say you can't so it must be OK approach. If the regs say OEM that means as it came out of the Mitsubishi factory, not standard/OEM but modified.

Maybe the class A boost limit needs extending to Class B? A lot more work for the scrute though.

Rule stability keeps costs down in any form or motorsport.

PFC

MidnightE6
11-09-2011, 21:03
We did try this with the 50/50, we did get some new comers but not as many as we thought we might have got, you cant get a much better offer than that, can you ? :(

Lee

More tracks , more information on how and what is needed to enter.

50% off 150 = 75 , now 50% off 75 becomes more appealing to new members , now how do you get costs to that , easy less known tracks.

corky_79
11-09-2011, 21:05
Ian,,
There not expensive to own and run for the rd,,
You can pick an evo 6 up for 5k
Insure mine for 600 per yr
Only put around 15 in fuel per week as mrs goes to work in it everyday
Not a massive amount more than any sports car
Only spend 100 on a ralliart stat in 15 months of ownership,,
Plus a 70 oil change,,

I much preferred the mscc msa tracks, but the messing with suits, correct helmet, liecence was a bore
The mlrss is much better run etc but the big tracks do nothing for me,,
Another one to add is barkston heath that i did with the mlr back in 2005 was wicked

I think you should service your car more :mhihi:

You know what I mean though, parts aren't cheap and a road car that does more than a few miles a week over 12 months (and 6 sprints) is likely to need 4 new tyres, new pads, possibly new discs, then you have to tax the car, insure it, MOT it etc etc.

800 per month, minus food, rent/mortgage, council tax, mobile phone bill, broadband, TV licence, costs of pets, gas, electric, water.

All of that before the costs of a 'toy'.

Just an observation.

I couldn't have run an evo when I earned 800.

Oh and your insurance is low because you drive 10 miles per year and you are an old man :crackup:

RSgeoff
11-09-2011, 21:07
It makes the mlrss look great value for money 2 competitive runs 99 what a joke!

An hours practice, then your 2 timed runs are actually 3 laps each.

So i'm sure you'll actually get a lot more laps than an MLR sprint.

Would be good to do once to see how you compare to the Leaderboard.

As for comments above - agreed you never get any bickering in class G with all sorts of cars in attendance. I'm now in this class and looking forward to it to see how I do against the other class G and also the Evos.
Adds to what I said about scrapping the classes.

wozzy
11-09-2011, 21:08
If i were to enter a sprint, I would be put strait into the top class with the big boys. With no sprint experience it would be pretty difficult, but rules are rules and I'd just try my best.

In answer to the original question, the MLR Sprint series could do with less of this. Another 16 pages of the usual suspects blubbering on. Its the same on pretty much every sprint thread, and I bet its enough to put people off

Lee5
11-09-2011, 21:15
If i were to enter a sprint, I would be put strait into the top class with the big boys. With no sprint experience it would be pretty difficult, but rules are rules and I'd just try my best.

In answer to the original question, the MLR Sprint series could do with less of this. Another 16 pages of the usual suspects blubbering on. Its the same on pretty much every sprint thread, and I bet its enough to put people off

This is one of the better sprint threads, as opinions have been staying constructive, tho they are slightly going off topic now.

We want to hear from everyone on how they think, the sprints could be better not just for them but everyone :)

etd: this is not aimed at you :)

Lee

chaz83
11-09-2011, 21:20
I don't think there is a lot wrong with the classes as they stand. Maybe just add the sentence if it doesn't specifically say you can do something then you can't.

That tightens things up and stops the well it doesn't say you can't so it must be OK approach. If the regs say OEM that means as it came out of the Mitsubishi factory, not standard/OEM but modified.

Maybe the class A boost limit needs extending to Class B? A lot more work for the scrute though.

Rule stability keeps costs down in any form or motorsport.

PFC

PFC, im fitting a ported manifold to my VII. The rules stipulate its has to be oem-unmodified.....tell me how your going to know that it is or isnt modified without physically check without removing it?? the answer is you cant, and im not taking anyones word that they dont have one :shake:

kenny1
11-09-2011, 21:20
Kenny i was waiting for you to tell the world i had better tyres on than you
Which you are correct
I thought it was fair as you was on a stroker gt30 and lighter car
To my 100kg heavier evo 8 with massive lag:smthumbup:D:crackup:

Ok. You're the better driver, but my time was quicker bar tennis balls:lol:

FQ360 NICK
11-09-2011, 21:23
PFC, im fitting a ported manifold to my VII. The rules stipulate its has to be oem-unmodified.....tell me how your going to know that it is or isnt modified without physically check without removing it?? the answer is you cant, and im not taking anyones word that they dont have one :shake:

WE WILL KNOW COS YOU'VE JUST TOLD US :shake: :lol:

chaz83
11-09-2011, 21:23
Wozzy mate, it is getting side tracked at the minute so lets bring it back on topic.

The key to its continuity is making it more attractive to potential new comers. So anyone who is looking, what can be done to make it more appealing??

milk
11-09-2011, 21:27
Wozzy mate, it is getting side tracked at the minute so lets bring it back on topic.

The key to its continuity is making it more attractive to potential new comers. So anyone who is looking, what can be done to make it more appealing??

put my car back together :handsup:

corky_79
11-09-2011, 21:27

:crackup:

Class B for you.

You can only go in A now if you remove it and prove it isn't ported :mhihi: