PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying VIII FQ400 please?

Steve FQ330
15-11-2009, 19:54
Hi guys,

Im hoping to buy another Evo in the near future and i think ive narrowed my search down to either a VIII FQ400 or a 9 MR FQ360.

I used to have a VIII 330 and loved the styling of the car, the FQ400 was out of reach at the time but they seem more affordable now,

Ive done some searches on here so i know about build 001 and 002 for the FQ400 but i wanted some advice on this one ive seen on Pistonheads?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1325818.htm

Its at the opposite end of the country to me so i wondered if anyone knew anything about the car or owner? or could tell me anything i should be concerned about with the advert?

Also price wise is this about right at 19,250 or can they be had for a lot less now?

Or are there any other cars i should be looking at i have maybe missed?

Thanks in advance :smthumbup

Steve :thumbup:

431T
15-11-2009, 20:13
Get it!

Steve FQ330
15-11-2009, 20:20
Thanks for the reply, do you know the car? or does it seem a good one reading the advert? ive been away from Evos for a while now so dont want to risk buying a dog or paying over the odds :lol:

mattl1983
18-11-2009, 09:51
hi mate, i also own an fq400 which i paid 25k for this time last year which had 8k miles from xtreme.

i saw another on pistonheads recently with 8k miles up privately for 23k.

I would say if anything they are holding value, so 20k for 40k miles would seem reasonnable. or perhaps go up in budget a little for a lower mileage example?

cheers

Steve FQ330
18-11-2009, 18:25
hi mate, i also own an fq400 which i paid 25k for this time last year which had 8k miles from xtreme.

i saw another on pistonheads recently with 8k miles up privately for 23k.

I would say if anything they are holding value, so 20k for 40k miles would seem reasonnable. or perhaps go up in budget a little for a lower mileage example?

cheers

Thanks Matt as I appreciate your help on this one. The car has been reduced to 19,250 so I reckon I could maybe get it for around 18,500. Its on pistonheads just now and the clutch has been replaced at 1,600 and its had its big cambelt service at 37,500 miles. Does these things appear normal in keeping with the routine servicing etc. I should maybe wait for a lower mileage example but I will only do 3,000 to 4,500 miles per year so I would not add that much to it over the years.

My previous ownership of an Evo which was used daily at 18,000 miles a year with no problems other than juice :) I suppose 40K miles is nothing these days and I am itching to get back into evo ownership. I have had a few cars in the last 2 years but I always kicked myself for selling my Evo as it really is the ultimate machine and I am not keen on ponsing about in a supercar that I can't really afford to sort if it breaks whereas I would be buying this car as a keeper and have a budget of 3,000 pa for repairs if required.

I have missed the performance and road holding. I got clocked 4 years ago in my Evo at 101 mph but escaped with a 600 fine and 6 points and I thought I could not drive it 100% sensibily 100% of the time. I have learned from my mistakes to try again and nothing gets the blood pumping more than the evo as it is a beast of beasts IMO

Also having had a black one previously which looked good I would rather go for the grey colour for a change. Thanks again and if anyone out here can give me any additional info then that would be great :thumbup:

A12DY B
18-11-2009, 20:00
These hold the money well, mileage is not really that high if you plan to keep it and keep the mileage down

and seems right for the service shedule for cam belt @5 years or 45000 miles

clutch is a good thing too as its one less worry.

also had new brakes, low owners, long tax and mot.

everything seems to look good, and looks original with all the right bits

Steve FQ330
19-11-2009, 09:51
These hold the money well, mileage is not really that high if you plan to keep it and keep the mileage down

and seems right for the service shedule for cam belt @5 years or 45000 miles

clutch is a good thing too as its one less worry.

also had new brakes, low owners, long tax and mot.

everything seems to look good, and looks original with all the right bits

Thanks for the info as I was spurised you could still get some lower mileage examples out there which must be rare.

I would have loved one with under 25,000 miles but it would cost much more money so in terms of money and the car it looks good so far. I am going to email the owner with some questions. Thanks. :thumbup:

youngsyr
19-11-2009, 10:11
Out of interest, why are you after an FQ-400?

It's only my opinion obviously, but it just strikes me as a bit of a compromised car - the turbo lag is often over-exagerated thanks to JC, but by all accounts it's very noticeable compared to the IXs and would be more at home on a 500 bhp car than a 400 bhp one.

On top of that you have the clutch (assuming its standard).

It seems to me that if you want to push the car to 450 - 500 bhp then the FQ-400 isn't a bad choice to go for in terms of the parts on it, but then you're modifying a limited edition car and will lose some of the premium you've paid out for it because of what it is.

To that end, if you want 450 - 500 bhp, better to start with a cheaper car (an RS?) and modify it rather than pay the premium for an FQ-400 and modify that.

If on the other hand, you want a standard car, better to start with a IX MR FQ-360 as it will have much better road manners and near identical performance.

Just as an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if there were only around 100 IX MR FQ-360s in the country, I certainly haven't seen many knocking around.

campbell1987
19-11-2009, 11:24
Out of interest, why are you after an FQ-400?

It's only my opinion obviously, but it just strikes me as a bit of a compromised car - the turbo lag is often over-exagerated thanks to JC, but by all accounts it's very noticeable compared to the IXs and would be more at home on a 500 bhp car than a 400 bhp one.

On top of that you have the clutch (assuming its standard).

It seems to me that if you want to push the car to 450 - 500 bhp then the FQ-400 isn't a bad choice to go for in terms of the parts on it, but then you're modifying a limited edition car and will lose some of the premium you've paid out for it because of what it is.

To that end, if you want 450 - 500 bhp, better to start with a cheaper car (an RS?) and modify it rather than pay the premium for an FQ-400 and modify that.

If on the other hand, you want a standard car, better to start with a IX MR FQ-360 as it will have much better road manners and near identical performance.

Just as an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if there were only around 100 IX MR FQ-360s in the country, I certainly haven't seen many knocking around.

+1

if you plan on leaving the car standard and having a limited edition evo go for it as it seems a good buy to me but if modding it i would go for a e9 fq300 and spend the savings on extra parts and bling :D

peeler
19-11-2009, 11:49
Fq 400's have turbo problems, check that all is good with it and happy motoring :smthumbup

Steve FQ330
19-11-2009, 20:02
Fq 400's have turbo problems, check that all is good with it and happy motoring :smthumbup

Thanks. I would definately not be planning on increasing any power but that particular FQ400 has been taken to 440 BHP and is this something that most FQ400 owners would have done automically as the bloke's advert sort of suggests this?

I am totally 50/50 on whether to buy an FQ400 or whether to go for the HKS MR 360 9 which seems to get a great write up. Is there much difference in the 0-60 and 0-100 times? Why is the turbo on the FQ400 more troublesome? Is the 360 more refined.

It looks like I could get a 2007 MR 360 for around 23K (thoughts of smashing some more piggy banks are in my head right now:naughty:)

I love the look of all Evos but my choice of 2 both seem closely matched. I suppose there must be something better about the FQ400 but if I am not planning to go above 440BHP with the modest upgrade, then it may look like the 360 could be lower mileage and newer so please someone come on and push me back to the FQ400 as it is going 60/40 in favour of the 360 and yesterday the FQ400 was 60/40 in its favour. I don't want to make the wrong choice of car.

I appreciate your help out there as any comment is a great help for me with this dilema.