Lancer Register Forum banner

Mega 6 or Entry 8 ?

2K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Evo_Steve'o 
#1 ·
Good Day Gents,

I currently have a Lotus Esprit V8 which should be going before the end of the month and will be looking for an Evo.

Question is I have £18 - £20k to spend and would like to know what would be the best alternative between a 6 (either TME or a hvy modded Rally Art) or a an 8?

I love the looks of the 6, but cant help thinking that the 8 will be by far the best driving car (coz thats what its all about!).

Your imput on the subject would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Stevie

#3 ·
I've got both, a well modded Ralliart 6 (just about ready for sale) a 7 & an 8. For balls out fun choose a modded 6 but for comfort and drive quality i do prefer the 7's & 8's.........then again i must sadly say the New Generation of Subaru is a more comfortable car and several MPG better so it's all down to personal choice!!
Dave.

#4 ·
Y2's is a V.

£20K should buy you a nice 03 Plate FQ-300 with sub 20K miles. ;)

VI or VIII?

Depends entirely on your personal taste. ;) VIII is a better car in many ways, but IMO the VI is still a bit more special, and still feels relevent even in today's market.

Down to you.

#5 ·
Hi guys,

now thats what I call a fast response! I thought the old Audi-sport.net forum was good when I had my S3!

I forgot to mention that the car will only be used a few days a week (got a company car). If that makes any differences.

I have been told a few times that the Subaru's are better all round, but to be honest, comfort it certainly not paramount. Especially after having the Esprit.

As for the guy who is looking for an Esprit, if you are talking to him, you can let him know I am now on this forum and he can let me know if he is interested. The car is on Autotrader. The S plate at £19995.

As for the VIII 260, I wouldn't even consider that car. Looks stupid without the spoiler and will always be labled the slowest Evo.

So, would I not get a decent 8 for 20K then, no?

Cheers,

Stevie

#11 ·
Now,

a Mr8 would be well handy! With the extra weight reductions of the Mr, does this make them THAT much better to drive, or am I missing the whole point of having an MR ?

Sorry, been caught up in the world of Lotus and Audi for the past few years!

#13 ·
@ Damd,

I have to agree. When you look through the old Autotrader site, there isn't exactly what I would call a 'shortage'.

There also seems to be a good selection on here.

I am willing to travel as far as it takes for the right car. The joys of company Diesel!

#14 ·
Damd VI said:
'Fraid that's rubbish mate, Can point you in the direction of 2 to start with, 6K and 17K respectively, Purple and Silver, UK, FMSH, unmarked, 1 owner.

Plenty more if you look hard enough... ;)
I'll see your two, and raise you two

2003 03 Reg MITSUBISHI EVO V111 FQ 300 Saloon Hazlemere Motor Company Manual 6 speed, 19,000 miles, Metallic Silver Blue. Air-Conditioning, Central Door Locking, Immobilizer, ABS, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Electric windows. Thacham One Alarm ,Xenon Lights etc . . . . (trade)
£21,000

2005 05 Reg Mitsubishi Lancer EVOLUTION VIII 260 GSR, Humming Bird Motors 4 Doors, Manual, Sports, Petrol, 4,061 miles, Black, Air conditioning,Alloy wheels,Anti-lock brakes,Electric windows,Leather interior,Power steering. This Vehicle Comes With 36 Months Manufacture . . . . (trade)
£21,499

2003 03 Reg Mitsubishi Lancer 1997 cc Evolution V111 FQ 300, Chichester Mitsubishi 4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 19,587 miles, . . . . (trade)
£21,995

*multi-photos 2005 05 Reg MITSUBISHI Lancer EVO 8 & MR BRAND NEW UNREGISTERED Humming Bird Motors 4 Doors, Manual, Coupe, Petrol, 1 miles, CHOICE OF COLOURS and SPECS. ABS, Air-Conditioning, Electric Windows, Power-Assisted Steering, rear spoiler, Sports Seats, Traction Control System, 15" light alloy . . . . (trade)
£21,995

#15 ·
StevieBee said:
Now,

a Mr8 would be well handy! With the extra weight reductions of the Mr, does this make them THAT much better to drive, or am I missing the whole point of having an MR ?

Check the first vid in this thread. It is an VIII MR vs a VIII non-MR

http://www.lancerregister.com//showthread.php?threadid=85005

#16 ·
StevieBee said:
Now,

The mr is generally considered to have a better ride than the earlier 8's so should be nicer to drive day to day, it will also be newer and have more warranty etc.
Keep a eye on ebay as theres bargins to be had and with the market being how it is at the moment you can go in much lower than the seller is asking, just have to make it sound like a hassle free sale ;)

#17 ·
Just downloading just now. Looks like it maybe a while (doing both at same time) will have a look tmr and come back on.

Was reading some of the posts on the related thread though, was the MR less hp than the non MR? If so, surely not a fair comparison?

Anyways, catch up with you guys tmr.

BTW, like the forum, much more responsive than I'm used to!

Cheers,

Stevie

#21 ·
StevieBee said:
Just downloading just now. Looks like it maybe a while (doing both at same time) will have a look tmr and come back on.

Was reading some of the posts on the related thread though, was the MR less hp than the non MR? If so, surely not a fair comparison?

Anyways, catch up with you guys tmr.

BTW, like the forum, much more responsive than I'm used to!

Cheers,

Stevie
MR's have more BHP and Torque than Non MR's as they have Different cams, Bigger Turbo housing, Strengthened cyclinder head, with 5ply as opposed to 3 ply head gasketts.

Regards

John

#23 ·
Should easily get a decent 8 for 20 k

If u can stretch to an MR go for it, responds better to basic tuning than the str 8's, will make 20 to 30 bhp more than standard 8 with exhaust/induction and re map.

Beware MR's and IX's have a aluminium roof and cant take a roof rack! I'm sure this puts off very few people!!

martin

#26 ·
Or you could buy my VII and have money left to tune it further.

July 03 Evo VII RSII XT330 in stunning pearl black, only 8000 miles.

Xtreme XT330 conversion consisting of full Hayward & Scott stainless exhaust, HKS induction kit, Arp conrod bolts and boost set to 1.4 bar.
B & M short shift.
Ralliart Eibach progressive lowered springs with Xtreme fast road geometry setup.
Braided brake hoses.
All above were fitted to the car when new by Xtreme.
Full service history at Xtreme, 2 year service carried out on 1 July 05.
Original wheels and tyres with no kerbing at all.
One owner, non smoker.
This car has never been on a track and is in virtually as new condition.

Comes complete with the reg XT03 EVO.

£17995 ono

Ring me if you want to chat.

07966 396557

Dave.

Edited to say, before any smart arse says why has he put his reg but blanked out the pic, it was the only pic I had to hand. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.